Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

'13 Enduro Comp, Stumpy Evo Comp or Stumpy Evo Comp 29?

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Rock 
#1 ·
I'm planning on a new bike this spring (March-April), and I'm starting my research.

I currently have an '08 Enduro Comp with a Fox 36. Good burly bike for a Clyde like myself. I ride agressive trail, but I'm not fast. I don't go too big on drops and jumps, but I am getting better. A 25 mile ride is a long day for me. Most of my rides are 12-16. I live in the Atlanta area and ride all over the Southeast. I want a do everything kind of bike that will always get me back to the car. I don't race and love a comfortable ride (I'm old).
My Enduro has done very well for me, durable, gets me to the top and bottom of the mountain. It will become back-up and guest bike. It's got around 8k miles on it, so it's tired. I was all over just getting a new '13 Comp. But, before I buy a new ride, I thought it best to consider other options. I have narrowed it down to these 3.

The '13 Enduro Comp is lighter than my current bike. It's got a Fox fork and has the "burly" I think I need. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Basically an updated version of what I've got.

The Stumpy's are similarly spec'd, execpt for the fork (Rockshox). Travel is close or close enough to what I've got now. I'm farthest away from the 29er. I'm just don't know if I'm there yet. I see the advantages, but I don't know how they work with my style of riding (no finese, brute force survival mode riding). The Stumpy 26 Comp EVO looks good. About 1 pound lighter than both the other bikes and basically the same cost. The Stumpy EVO Comp 29 is the same cost and spec of the 26. 1 lb heavier. I figure I would still have the old Enduro if I needed a "Big Bike" for some special day, but that gets away from the "do everything" bike.

Does anyone have experience with all three of any combination of these bikes or have made the jump from an Enduro to Stumpy. Sometimes I feel the Enduro is too much bike, but it's saved my bacon many times. The new one is much lighter (3 lbs) than my current bike. Maybe I'm ready for a lighter (Stumpy) "do everything" bike.

I don't know if test rides of all versions are an option. Just starting to gather data now

Any input would be appreciated. I added a pic for clicks.

Rock

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Since I can't recall riding all three of those bikes back-to-back-to-back I'm not sure how much I'm going to be helpful but I'll put my opinion on the table and we'll see who else decides to chime in.

2013 Enduro strikes me as being the one-bike-for-all-occasions... change tires or wheelsets readjust the suspension and you're good to go.

2013 SJ Evo Comp is a lighter bike with slightly less travel than your Enduro but I'm not sure how it will stand up to your riding weight and style (no disrespect, but more mass over the same terrain tends to cause more wear in suspension components that are meant for trail riding.... adda bit of aggro to that and you may have a crash situation due to fatigue in a component....not cool.)

2013 SJ Evo Comp 29 I would say take one out to ride along with the Evo Comp and ride the same trail..... you'll know whether you like the 29er when you ride it... I have but I definitely have areas where I will and will not ride a 29er.

As you may have noted, I love the Enduro and choose to ride one whenever I get the chance... I ride flat terrain and spend my free time in the city jumping off of everything I can!

#3 ·
my bike is a 2012 enduro comp with dual position added to the rock shox lyrik for climbing.
the suspension is set and forget other than the travel adjust and propedal on the rear.

riding the stumpys at lighter weights i dont feel any significant difference when climbing. you will benefit most from lighter weight wheels and losing body weight.

go with the new enduro, you wont be regret it.

#4 ·
my 2 cents after reading the above. I to would recamind going with the go anywhere do anything bike 2013 enduro!!! It will still climb well and hold up to the downhill and rock gardens for you better then the sumpy I think.

#8 ·
OK. I ordered it Thursday. Was told end of the month, maybe January. Showed up in 2 days and picked it up Saturday. Haven't ridden it on the trails yet, maybe Wednesday.

This is the cleanest it will ever be. Crappy cell phone pics.

Rock

Attachments

#10 ·
Very Nice looking bike. That is fast delivery :thumbsup:, I am waiting for my Enduro still and they say it could be January or February. Sucks for me, but that is awesome you got it so quick. Enjoy it!

#12 ·
The thing is seriously "murdered" out. I don't think I can find a Specialized "S" anywhere easily, Everything is ghosted in. Quite a difference from the old Enduro.

I got a medium, because that's what every enduro I've had for the last 10 years has been, and it feels a bit smaller than what I'm used to. Maybe it's just the difference in headset spacers that I had on my '08. the suspension is PLUSH around the house. We'll see on the trail. I'm not one for flipping levers too much on the trail, but maybe I will have to start. The bars were 4" wider than my previous bike, which weren't narrow by any means, I took them down 2".

Planning on a ride tomorrow. Should be fun, I'll report back.

Rock

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.