mtbr member
    Dec 2010

120mm fork on epic?

Have a 2012 specialized S works Epic, but don't race and do trail riding exclusively at a highly competitive level on very rugged terrain with rocks and roots everywhere. I run nobby NICs 2.35's, snakeskin, at low-pressure with dropper seatpost, KS lev, 4".

Has anyone put a 120 millimeter fork on their epic? Any problems with frame failures? Used to ride a stumpy and find I am longing for a plusher front end

I don't do drops or jumps just trail riding. At the most I drop gently off 2 foot drops. I am very old and don't like to fall anymore.

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by jmcdev1; 05-26-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Adding material

There's always next year.
    Others may have differing opinions, but I think what I read from my '13 manual said that a 120mm fork voids the warranty. (Its it been a while since I've read it though) I do think that if "plush" ride is what you're after, the Epic's the wrong tool for the job--I'd think the Camber is more that tool, really.

With that said, I've toyed with the idea of doing this as well to my Epic when the warranty is done. I'd bet however, that you could get away with running one--this might one of those cases where a company is just protecting their butt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yeah, my warranty is long gone and I love the weight of this bike and responsiveness of the ride so I would never give it up. Pretty certain I'm going to try 120 mm fork eventually. Just curious what others experiences have been.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    One of the things I love about the epic is the balance when climbing ultra steep technical trails with loose stuff. The front end just doesn't lift up on me. Many bikes before have not been this balanced. I'm wondering if a 120 mm fork will ruin that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdev1 View Post
    Yeah, my warranty is long gone and I love the weight of this bike and responsiveness of the ride so I would never give it up. Pretty certain I'm going to try 120 mm fork eventually. Just curious what others experiences have been.
    You don't have to buy a different fork; just remove the spacer in the left leg. At least you could on the '11. Mine's been at 120 since before I got it - no feelings of guilt - so I don't have a reference point for how much it changed the handling/feel, but having ridden a similar XC 29 with a 90-120 Revelation turnkey I know that it isn't anything big. Plus I ended up just leaving it at 120 anyway and just bent my elbows a little more up the steeps. Mo fun going down.

It's easy to mistake the change in bar height that results from changing the fork length for a change in 'balance'. If you really want to know what moving to 120mm does, you'd have to also drop the bar/stem by 20mm to retain your same body position. OTW it's apples to oranges.

From a structural POV, going from an axle to crown of 50 cm to 52 cm is only 4% increase in leverage. Hardly warranty compromising numbers. Given the range of body weights out there, at 165 lbs I'm not remotely worried. The BB will rise about 8mm - just as well - and the HTA probably drops to just under/about 70 degrees. Roll the front wheel over a 3/4" piece of board to see how it would look.

Considering that I rarely use all the travel anyway, there's no reason not to go back to 100mm, but running 120 lets me run more sag if I want and also have a slower ramp up so the ride is more tuneable. If I lived somewhere more level I'd probably just run 100 but in BC you're mostly grunting up or hurtling down.

There's a school of thought that says rear travel must equal front travel, which of course renders every hard tail immediately dysfunctional. You could buy a Camber and get 110 F&R but I'd rather have 100 with a Brain and 120 fork.

I can see why Specialized wouldn't want to spec the Epic with a 120 or a 90-120 fork. The Stumpy is the one you should really get if you need a long travel fork and the Camber is an in between. But for my riding and terrain, I'm completely happy with running at 120; sort of like a Camber with a Brain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Deleted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdev1 View Post
    Have a 2012 specialized S works Epic, but don't race and do trail riding exclusively at a highly competitive level on very rugged terrain with rocks and roots everywhere. I run nobby NICs 2.35's, snakeskin, at low-pressure with dropper seatpost, KS lev, 4".

Has anyone put a 120 millimeter fork on their epic? Any problems with frame failures? Used to ride a stumpy and find I am longing for a plusher front end

I don't do drops or jumps just trail riding. At the most I drop gently off 2 foot drops. I am very old and don't like to fall anymore.

Thanks for your help
    I removed the spacer in my SID fork which takes the travel out to 110mm - didnt really make it any more plush jsut stopped it bottoming out on hard hits whilst still allowing me to run it relatively soft for good traction.

Yeah. My favorite bike is a 2010 S-Works Epic with a Float 120 RL. I really like the slightly different geometry it provides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think the Epic is a great trail bike.My Lefty has 120mm travel but is only 510mm long. It works great and I wouldn't consider a brain fork.

I will try a 120mm Revelation soon too.120mm fork on epic?-epic-weeks-medium-.jpg
    2 wheels

Dual Squishy...
    My 2011 Epic EVO came with a 120mm fork. Love it, and should work well on the other frames...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22 View Post
    My 2011 Epic EVO came with a 120mm fork. Love it, and should work well on the other frames...
    Apparently, the '12 forks don't go to 120mm with a spacer like the '11s did. The '11 Epic Evo was the only one to come stock with a 120; mine's a Comp with the spacer out. I can't see how going 120 would void the warranty if the company did it stock in '11. They did change the top tube somewhat in '12 but if anything it looks stronger to me. Besides, they never seem to break the front triangle or have head tube troubles anyway. Pretty tough bikes overall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I ran a 120 Revelation for the past few weeks and liked it. I moved my stem down a bit to make up for the taller front end and it's been fine.120mm fork on epic?-epic-12-ribcage.jpg
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    I friend of mine placed a 140mm fork on his old Epic Expert ( 2010 M5) and bombed the bike on harsh trail stuff like there was no tomorrow,bike took it with no issues. We called his bike an " all-country" bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel View Post
    I think the Epic is a great trail bike.My Lefty has 120mm travel but is only 510mm long. It works great and I wouldn't consider a brain fork.

I will try a 120mm Revelation soon too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Epic in the weeks (Medium).jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	805473
    Wow,Lefty up front and Brain on the rear makes it a perfect bike.Congratulations,must be a joy to ride.