Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

'12 Stumpy Elite 26"...thoughts?

I started MTB'n habitually in '08 on a RH. 4-5 months ago I gave my old RH to my younger brother so he could use it for college and I bought myself a '12 RH Comp 29er.

The 29er hasn't worked out, mostly from the weight. I began adding up the cost to upgrade the components e.g. wheels, fork and drive train and for the costs, I could just buy another bike.

I ride XC with my girlfriend (she rides an '08 RH with decent upgrades) and AM/Trail with the guys at work. From the specifications on the Spec website it looks like this bike would be a good fit.

What are your thoughts on this bike? Likes, dislikes, etc. My LBS has quoted me $3150 or $3390 OTD including tax. Spec advertises this bike at $3900 retail.

Because I'll take such a large hit on the resale value of the RH I'll just keep it as a commuter and spare bike; when friends or family come over and don't have a bike for themselves.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    No one has any input...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    No one has any input...?

It is a great bike fastest and best handling bike Ive owned
    I'm having a few issues with mine but those could happen with any model.your out the door price is killer I paid $3990 out the door but that was in Oct and shop was not willing to negotiate cuz no one else had them in stock
    Plus+ Talas fork and the brain makes the climbs gravy for a 140mm bike this thing climbs like a dream.it down hills even better I'm doing sh*t that I never would of thought of on my older bikes.
    Minuses- with the brain not the plushest ride but its a give and take, I'm probably going to get a rp23 down the road.
    All in all I am happy with mine and can not think of a different bike I would want to have
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How is the bike handling with the 9QR fork? That seems to be my only gripe about the bike.

I'll be coming off of a HT, do you think the Brain will be an easier transition for me then a plush shock? I do a lot of climbing in and around my area.

mtbr member
    I have an '11 Stumpy Elite. There are some upgrades to the '12 but very similar bikes. I absolutely love mine. The 9mm QR front and QR rear have not been a problem at all. Would I like a beefier setup, sure, who wouldn't. But I have nothing to compare them to. It's a trailbike, not a downhiller. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you buy one.

mtbr member
    How is the bike handling with the 9QR fork? That seems to be my only gripe about the bike.

I'll be coming off of a HT, do you think the Brain will be an easier transition for me then a plush shock? I do a lot of climbing in and around my area.
    Remember it is a solid 9mm not a regular QR Its plenty stiff..
    Coming off a hard tail you will like the brain.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have you guys weighed the bike? I asked my LBS if they could weigh it and they said no problem but when they grabbed their scale they found that it was broken.

mtbr member
    I don't have a scale to weigh it, but it's supposed to be in the neighborhood of 26lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBurnsie View Post
    I don't have a scale to weigh it, but it's supposed to be in the neighborhood of 26lbs.
    If that's the case, I'm even more motivated to get this bike as my RH is 35lbs on my bathroom scale.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The LBS just got back to me about the weights, they said that the '12 Stumpy Elite is 29lbs and my current bike,'12 RH Comp 29 (all stock) is 31lbs.

The biggest grip I have about the RH is the weight so now I'm unsure if dropping $3400 on a new bike just to save 2lbs is such a good idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The LBS just got back to me about the weights, they said that the '12 Stumpy Elite is 29lbs and my current bike,'12 RH Comp 29 (all stock) is 31lbs.

The biggest grip I have about the RH is the weight so now I'm unsure if dropping $3400 on a new bike just to save 2lbs is such a good idea.
    I'm looking at the Stumpy FSR comp myself. I'm curious, does your shop offer any maintenance for free for the first months/year? The shop in my town only sells their bikes at MSRP but you get a year of unlimited tuning/non major maintenance.

$3100 is pretty good though for the bike. You might want to look at the Evo Comp as well. I think either way, having a full suspension bike will make a bigger difference than saving 2-4 lb.

mike
    The stumpy is night and day difference in handling. Even though you are only saving a couple pounds the component package is a much better package, and that fsr will eat what ever terrain you put in front of it. On the hard tail you need to pick your lines. The fsr will go over things much easier making you faster and more comfortable. And for that price? It's a steal. That is Just my two cents; I changed over from a stumpy hard tail to an fsr this past July and never looked back

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I own a 26" stumpy and it's the best all round bike I've ever ridden. And I've owned 10+ bikes. Doesn't excel one thing, but I can hammer up hills, and then take it to the front range and take the easy lift lines

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by moosington View Post
    I'm looking at the Stumpy FSR comp myself. I'm curious, does your shop offer any maintenance for free for the first months/year? The shop in my town only sells their bikes at MSRP but you get a year of unlimited tuning/non major maintenance.

$3100 is pretty good though for the bike. You might want to look at the Evo Comp as well. I think either way, having a full suspension bike will make a bigger difference than saving 2-4 lb.
    My shop offers free life time tune ups and basic maintenance for the life of the bikes purchased from their shop. I've had my girlfriend purchase bikes under her name and they never hassled me on any tune ups over the bikes. As long as it had the sticker on it of their shop they were more than willing to work on it. I believe they have a total of 5 shops in my area, which is why I like doing business with them.

I'm actually surprised they discounted this bike as they wouldn't budge on the RH; they only discounted me a military discount of 10% which basically covered the taxes. This WAS when the Spec released the '12 models about 4-5 months ago...

They also weighed the '12 Stumpy Comp Carbon 29er and it came in at 28lbs. They said the difference in weight between the Elite and the Carbon 29er was the seat post. They did tell me for the riding that I do that I'd like the "Brain" and that I should stick with that; the Carbon 29er doesn't come with that...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Does anyone know if the stock wheels are tubeless ready?

mike
    yes they are tubeless ready

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwacker72 View Post
    yes they are tubeless ready
    Awesome! Do you know if they come with removable valve steems?

I fingered an Elite yesterday but I didn't demo it as I was at a different shop then the shop I'm going to purchase from. The bike feels light...I mean really light compared to my RH. I can't believe that it's only 2-3lbs lighter then the RH.

mike
    Yes they come with the stems and green caps to let the bike shop know that they are tubeless. The only thing you will want to buy is a bottle of stans no tubes to self seal.

mtbr member
    Yes they come with the stems and green caps to let the bike shop know that they are tubeless. The only thing you will want to buy is a bottle of stans no tubes to self seal.
    They are not tubeless ready they come with standard rim strips and no valves. you will have to tape them and get some valves at least that is my experience with my 2012 elite

mike
    My 2011 comp came with rim strips already in place as well as a bag with the stems. I already converted to tubeless. According to the specialized web site the new roval wheels come tubeless ready as well with strips in place and stems. Don't know why specialized would go backward for 2012?

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Here's my $02...

If I'm not mistaken the only difference in the Comp, Evo and Elite are the colors and components. The frames are all M5 technology so the weight difference in the 3 grades won't be much.

Why not buy a 2012 Comp (entry level) and upgrade components over time to make it exactly the bike you want it to be.

I got a heck of a deal on my 2011 Stumpy Elite which gave me the leeway customize the bike to my style of riding.

Here are my list of upgrades:

Thompson seat post and stem
    Carbon handlebars
    ODI Rogue grips
    2012 Shimano XT brakes
    Stans Arch wheelset w/ King hubs

By far the brakes and wheelset have been the best upgrades and this bike eats the rocky South Texas trails up.

mtbr member
    My 2011 comp came with rim strips already in place as well as a bag with the stems. I already converted to tubeless. According to the specialized web site the new roval wheels come tubeless ready as well with strips in place and stems. Don't know why specialized would go backward for 2012?

I converted mine also right when I got it home from the shop it had a standard rim strip that I would not trust to hold air and no stems. I went with a stans kit I like to have that double backup with tape and the rubber strip. first thing I asked the shop when I bought it was were the rims tubeless ready they said no. and they are a large Spesh dealer in so cal so it would think they know what they are talking about.
    RIMS Roval 26, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h
    Above taken from the spec sheet for the Elite it doesn't mention anything about being tubeless ready

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post

I converted mine also right when I got it home from the shop it had a standard rim strip that I would not trust to hold air and no stems. I went with a stans kit I like to have that double backup with tape and the rubber strip. first thing I asked the shop when I bought it was were the rims tubeless ready they said no. and they are a large Spesh dealer in so cal so it would think they know what they are talking about.
    RIMS Roval 26, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h
    Above taken from the spec sheet for the Elite it doesn't mention anything about being tubeless ready
    Do you mind PM'n me your LBS's name? I think we go to the same place.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I picked her up today! I'll pop her cherry tomorrow. In the meantime here are some crappy cell phone pics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Congrats! and it comes with shimano components and an XTR rear derailleur...great job!

Let us know how the ride goes...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast