Thread: 11m vs. 10m?

mtbr member

11m vs. 10m?

I just picked up my 2010 S-works Epic frame. I noticed that the frame is made from 11m carbon. Last year the frame was made of 10m carbon. Can anyone tell me what the diference is.?

mtbr member
    Dude! It's way better because it goes to 11!

mtbr member
    Why didn't they just make 10 louder?! Gotta love Spinal Tap...

mtbr member
    .....and the 2010 Epic Comp Carbon and Expert Carbon are made of 9m carbon. Anyone?

dog lover-not in that way
    This is from speci's website faq section:

FACT Carbon ratings
    Question
    What is the difference between 10/9/8 carbon that you use on the different level bikes? Is it thinner, lighter, different layup, etc?

Answer
    The "R" value is an indication of the level of modulus of the carbon fibers; the higher the value, the higher the modulus. Modulus simply refers to the stiffness of the individual fibers in the carbon matrix, which will dictate the overall stiffness and efficiency of the material. As modulus increases, we are able to use less material to produce a frame of equal or greater stiffness than that of frame utilizing lesser modulus fibers.

As a general rule, each higher level of carbon will decrease frame weight 100-150 grams, and provide a slightly stiffer, snappier ride.

dog lover-not in that way
    Here's another one from the FAQ:

Carbon Frame Manufacturing Methods
    Question
    Dear Sir or Madam,

Would you be kind enough to explain the difference between the Triple Monocoque and Az1 carbon frame manufacturing methods? It all sounds great on paper, but I have absolutely no idea what those terms mean, or how those processes make the FACT frames better. It would be awesome if Specialized added a short animated/interactive demo or video explaining these processes to the website's Tech Lab section.

Also, what is the difference between r rating for the carbon frames?

Thanks!

Answer
    Basically the construction of the frame is as important as the materials being used.

The higher end models will use a better construction process to assemble the bikes.

The benefits of the higher end construction are that it drastically reduces internal waste within the frame that results in a reduced weight, as well as the fact that you can increase the perfomance of the frame through the assembly process. It is much more expensive to produce these frames, which is why they are in turn more expensive to buy.

Often times you combine the higher end construction with higher end carbon. The r, or m for mountain bikes, refers to the level of carbon being used. The nicer the carbon the stronger the carbon. The result of which is less carbon can be used to achieve the same strength and increase the performance of a bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICYZ
    Why didn't they just make 10 louder?! Gotta love Spinal Tap...
    Damn, I was 4 hours too slow for the spinal tap reference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    Damn, I was 4 hours too slow for the spinal tap reference.
    Sorry. It was just a big juicy fast ball hanging out over the plate!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Would that mean the 2010 11m is 100-150 lighter than last years 10m? That would be amazing.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Would that mean the 2010 11m is 100-150 lighter than last years 10m? That would be amazing.
    Yes. From what I understand, the 11m is a slightly tighter weave so the tubes can be ever so slightly thinner.

mtbr member
    Very cool. They (Specialized) really haven't played that up much.

mtbr member
    Very cool. They (Specialized) really haven't played that up much.
    Sign outside a local S dealer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Cool. I have read a couple reviews in some UK magizines where they stated the frame was the same (10m) as last year. It's was a nice surpize when I saw 11m on the frame.