Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

'11 Epic comp 29er or '11 Stumpy fsr comp 29er

Will soon be diving into the 29er world. Not sure if I should go with the Epic Comp or SJ fsr comp 29er. I like them both. Knowing that the suspensions are different on each bike I don't think that really matters to me. The Epic is about $400.00 more is it really worth it or not. The color choices on the Epic aren't the greatest but sometimes pictures don't do justice. Anyone seen either of these bikes in person maybe ridden them? and also not that it's important just curious what the weight difference may be.

mtbr member
    Same old question just with 29r wheels.
    If you have to ask or arn't sure the answer has always been Stumpy

official eMpTyBRain
    The Epic wil be up to a few pounds lighter and is better for going uphill. The Epic will seat you in a more upright position and it will be a stiffer ride. The SJ will be better suited for aggressive trail riding, it will seat you in a more relaxed position. It will have a cushy rider compared to the Epic.

So, ask yourself these questions:

Am I a fairly tame rider who likes fireroads and or smooth/flowing ST trails?

Or, am I more of an aggro trail rider who likes to do drops and jumps?

Answer: Epic, for the first question, SJ for the second question.

You may want to play it safe and go with the SJ. It too will climb well, it just won't accelerate like the Epic will.

Now, go out there, spend some cash, and lets see some pics!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    As mentioned above, all about what type of rider you are!

Dont sell the Epic short, it can handle plenty of rough trail but if the majority of your riding is big drops and jumps I would go Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I went with the stumpy and its a blast. My friend has the epic and its a wash, actually maybe a tad slower in the really rough stuff.

DTL
    mtbr member
    I was facing the same debate about a week ago. I decided to go with the epic 29er comp. Most of the trails I ride are xc single track, rooty with short steep and long gradual climbs depending on which trial I'm on. I'm not into drops and jumps (too old for that) but do appreciate a bike that smooths out my ride. I've only gotten one short ride in on my epic since saturday and the front and rear suspension weren't even dialed in. It still felt wicked fast and does accelerate quickly. You can open up the brain to completely soft if you like or firm it up for climbing etc. Even in the firm position you can barely notice a delay when you role over a bump and it opens up. 4 inches of travel is usually plenty for a 29er unless like previously mentioned you are riding real agressive trails with jumps, drops, rock gardens etc. I liked the stumpy comp too but wasn't comfortable with just relaying on the triad shock for my platform and the stumpy expert (with brain) was too much $. I'm coming off a giant trance x with 5 inches of travel front and back and feel that the epic will do everything I've ever asked of the giant, even more. Like mentioned before it really depends on the kind of riding you do. If you are pointed downhill most of the time stumpy (hence the through axle on the front). If you are more xc guy then epic (throughaxle on rear). The epic 29er IMO has evolved into a bike that stratles the fence between xc and trail bike depending on how you have it set up. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yea Thanks for all the input. I think the Epic comp 29er is the one I will go with. Seems to be what will suit me best.

DTL, what color did you get and hows it look? I will probably go with the silver/black/red one. The lime green I'm not to sure about. I would have to see that in person and the LBS only has the silver/black/red one.

DTL
    mtbr member
    I went with the silver/black/red. I wasn't too excited with the color at first but it does look a lot better in person and I've grown to like it a lot now. It has a flat finish to it so it's not all shiny. I don't think you will be disapointed with the bike. It accelerates scary fast and like I said my first ride was total fun and I didn't even have the suspensions dialed in. Just went from the shop to the trail. To me this bike is plenty rugged enough for xc/trail riding. The frame apears to be made just as burly as my giant trance x and that is classified as a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm also in the same spot. For the past few seasons i've mainly been riding smooth xc trails but would like to get more into some rougher riding. which is why i'm considering the SJ.

However i'm concerned that for the times I do ride xc trails (esp. the uphill parts) the SJ will be too much bike.

or should I just go with the epic which I know is going to be a fast bike?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Split the difference and go with a camber?
    Canuck in the homeland

DTL
    mtbr member
    It's a tough choice between the stumpy fsr 29 and epic 29. I liked the stumpy too but when test riding noticed it did not accelerate and get up to speed as fast as the epic. Plus the stumpy having 130 mm travel front and back was kinda overkill for the type of riding I do most of the time. It really comes down to the type of trails you spend the most time on. Or, like the last post suggested you could always go camber 29er but that actually has the same travel 100mm as the epic if I'm not mistaken.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ill second the Camber suggestion, the pro 29er should hit the spot

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think for what I ride 80% of the time the epic would be the perfect bike. But there are some days I just want a trail bike. I'm pretty sure I'll get the epic over the camber as I really like the brain on the epic.

earlier in this thread someone was saying you could set up an epic to be more suited to trail riding, how would someone go about doing this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Epic worked as a trail bike for me here in Tahoe for couple years, nice bike (26).

Add some beefy tires: ie: 2.2 Spec. Purgatorys control model (2.4 in the front if you ride the rocky areas).

Convert to tubeless, use stans juice and run a lower air pressure.

Wide low rise carbon bar

Softer seat, like WTB rocket V

The list can go on, but just set up the shocks for a more all around trail ride, less towards the firm race side.

Have fun
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I picked up my Epic Comp 29er yesterday. I'm hoping to get out today for the virgin ride. I am really happy with my decision so far. This bike just looks fast and pretty solid. The actual trail ride is all that's left to do and I don't think I'll be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was just looking at the specialized website and they have an epic evo 26er that is build up for exactly what i'm looking for, except that its 26"

all that they changed on the bike was the tires, handle bar, front disc rotor and a longer travel suspension fork.

maybe i'll just copy that bike with the exception of the fork

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    DECKMAN, any further feedabck...?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The Epic is a very capable trail bike its a 29er and like another one said if u choose ur tires correctly u won't have any problems at all. I have ridden my epic in all kinds of gnarly stuff and i run a rigid on the front, but thats just me. I hated the reba on the front and my Niner carbon fork will be here tommarow. The speed of the epic is what does it for me not just in the down hills as an overall fast bike in all conditions. The thing to remember is its a 29er and the things that gave ur 26er some trouble won't to ur 29er. I use to ride a Intense Spider 29er with a modified Talas 36 on the front and a Pushed high volume can on the rear setup for drops and such. Yeah the spider was cushy but on the epic it just begs to go fast and will take whatever u throw at it. Throw a Ardent 2.4 on the front and ur golden with a fast rear tire. I have been on my epic 2010 for a year and half, rode in Tahoe on 6hr epic and hella rocky terrain and it was a blast.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sounds like the right equipment for me. Would prefer Shimano over the standard X7/X9 stuff though, but thats just me.

JRR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I want a 29 epic with a 120/95mm talus 15mm fox fork.Just seems like that would be the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... Yep Yep

Quote Originally Posted by JRR
    I want a 29 epic with a 120/95mm talus 15mm fox fork.Just seems like that would be the best of both worlds.
    Yea thats the way I would go if I end up getting a suspension fork Talus 95/120 terrlogic fork would give all u the best of both worlds.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any specific/different advice for 6-3, 235 lb rider, rocks all shapes/sizes, 35+ mph? Currently on 2010 Fuji 9er HT 80mm Reba. Wanting smoother ride over rocks/ruts. Leaning Epic, presumably smoother than my Fuji HT. OTOH, my first mtb was nice, an SJ FSR 26 (never ever going back to 26).
    Last edited by ro7939; 03-14-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    jimbo

www.jamesromeyn.com fine guitars/audio
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

DTL
    mtbr member
    BRAY explained it perfectly above IMO. The 2011 Epic 29er is a very capable trailbike. 4 inches of travel is plenty on a 29er for most riding conditions other then big jumps/drops. The 2011 Epic 29er frame is pretty stout and beefy. This can be appreciated when seeing one in person and the rear end is plenty stiff so there will be very little lateral flex if any. The best thing about is is you can tune it to be a fast xc race bike also. Like BRAY mentioned, it's fast. It almost feels as if it goes on its own. It accelerated faster then the stumpy fsr 29er I rode and that's what sealed my decision. The stumpy fsr 29er is an awesome bike as well it's just suited for a different type of riding in my opinion. More all mountain stuff.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speare
    I think for what I ride 80% of the time the epic would be the perfect bike. But there are some days I just want a trail bike. I'm pretty sure I'll get the epic over the camber as I really like the brain on the epic.

earlier in this thread someone was saying you could set up an epic to be more suited to trail riding, how would someone go about doing this?
    Open up the brain all the way to full squich and run a lower psi in the positive air chamber of the reba fork. You could also run a lower psi in the tires for more cush. The epic can be run as a very capable trailbike. Keep in mind my opinions are basd off the 2011 epic 29er. I can't comment on a Epic 26er since I'ver never ridden one.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I spent over an hour looking at the '11 Specialized and '11 Trek/Fisher offerings, doing my best to focus only on 9ers and to ignore the other numerous bikes. I presume many others are like me, dazed at the marketing departments constantly splitting the market into finer and finer segments. This happened earlier in the motorcycle market...where once were 2-4 categories are now about a dozen. The razor thin splitting of market segments signals both the MTB world's financial success and simultaneously its self-destructive tendency at the hand of the marketing departments. One could make an argument that a novice or someone returning to the market could react to the selections with dismay and confusion. I overheard a conversation at Al's Bike Shop in Logan yesterday between a shopper and a salesperson...I almost feel sorry for salespeople stuck trying to make sense to shoppers of all the selection. Please return to the original topic, sorry. Even in my case, I know I'd prefer a FS, but not looking forward to the tuning options of the rear shock.
    jimbo

www.jamesromeyn.com fine guitars/audio
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast