mtbr member
    Nov 2005

'11 Enduro Evo owners, how does it pedal?

I am torn between the regular enduro expert and the evo expert because I plan to shuttle alot this summer and have an ss for xc...the evo will be better for shuttling/descending and such vs. the reg expert, but, how will the EVO pedal when i want to ride squishy on xc trails? that rp23 will be the bees knees but how will the coil shock pedal over xc terrain?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just got my evo last week and havent got to ride it yet but I played with it a little bit and the suspension is really fluid but it will defently bob more than a rp23

mtbr member
    Pedals great, except on really really really steep stuff; the slacker head tube makes it a little squirrelly. But I'm usually over it by the time I start to descend...

mtbr member
    I've got a regular 2011 enduro. I think it pedals great up steep and technical stuff. Its the long climbs where for me, the front end tends to wander.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bought an SX trail last year, even more travel and slacker head tube. I think it climbs better than my old stumpy. I'll never go back to air. Sticks like glue, the front tracks great if you keep some weight on it. I say go coil.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I owned a enduro comp last year and am trying to decide on enduro evo vs enduro expert this year...will do some shuttling but will prob ride it more AM then DH.

mtbr member
    I feel compelled to add this...

The trails are clear, and I finally have the time to give my Evo the use it deserves. I would like to say that for a true "DO EVERYTHING" bike, I feel the Enduro Evo has it wired. Of course it descends, drops, and jumps incredibly well, but I also feel it really does pedal and climb well too. Previously, I owned an '08 Enduro with the Specialized suspension components, and I LOVED it. It climbed like a dream, and soaked up everything going back down. Before that, I owned an Epic, which obviously pedaled incredibly well; it was a rocket. Once you adapt your riding style slightly, the Evo climbs as well as anything. With a coil rear and no platform, you must stay seated. I set my Command Post to full height to get the most extension and power from my legs. Also, I spin smoothly (like on a road bike) rather than mash the pedals through technical sections. Doing so, while keeping your weight back and over the rear wheel, allows the bike to retain traction over ANY obstacle; the bike holds its traction, which maintains power and control.

I wanted a bike that could truly do everything, but I was tired of worrying about finicky air suspension components. The other bike I had my eye on was a Santa Cruz Nomad. The problem there, however, is a high degree of frame maintenance (bearings), and a very short cockpit, which is biased towards FR and downhill. The thing that I find most appealing about the Evo is it's simplicity and ease of maintenance, combined with total performance for every type of riding.

I can honestly say that there is not a single bike on the market that I'd rather own, even if I had the money for an S-Works, or a high-end alternative brand. Good work, Specialized.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgunstudios
    I bought an SX trail last year, even more travel and slacker head tube. I think it climbs better than my old stumpy. I'll never go back to air. Sticks like glue, the front tracks great if you keep some weight on it. I say go coil.
    I am seriously considering the 2011 SXT for AM riding. I currently have a 2011 Stumpy HT EVO 29er and love it but the HT is not good for AM riding. Anyway can you give me a little rundown on your experience with it climbing. I'm really nervous about getting such a heavy bike so I'm also considering the Enduro EVO. Any thoughts?

mtbr member

Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepcop31
    Any thoughts?
    Edited:

I hear the new SXT trails pedal incredibly well, but I haven't yet ridden one, and would also like to hear more input on this subject.
    Last edited by SurfSailRide; 03-29-2011 at 11:04 AM.

mtbr member
    I got your reply but it looks like you edited it down after you sent it. Unless I'm just blind and can't find it now. Either way I have a question. I am rather new to the lingo that gets thrown around so I need some clarification. When you say 6' drop or 8' drop, what EXACTLY does that mean? Is it like riding right off of a ledge that is 6 or 8 feet high or is there more to it than that? Cuz I'm not gonna be doing anything like that. I just want a bike that I can blast down a fire road it supersonic speeds and not really worry about hitting the bigger bumps because the bike just sucks it all up. Like I said, I currently have a HT and got thrown off by a rather small bump. I took a really hard hit and broke my shoulder pretty bad. I'd like to not do that again so if 6 inches of travel will help, I want it. Plus I may want to stat doing some bigger stuff and I'd like to not have to buy yet another bike.

mtbr member
    I got your reply but it looks like you edited it down after you sent it. Unless I'm just blind and can't find it now. Either way I have a question. I am rather new to the lingo that gets thrown around so I need some clarification. When you say 6' drop or 8' drop, what EXACTLY does that mean? Is it like riding right off of a ledge that is 6 or 8 feet high or is there more to it than that? Cuz I'm not gonna be doing anything like that. I just want a bike that I can blast down a fire road it supersonic speeds and not really worry about hitting the bigger bumps because the bike just sucks it all up. Like I said, I currently have a HT and got thrown off by a rather small bump. I took a really hard hit and broke my shoulder pretty bad. I'd like to not do that again so if 6 inches of travel will help, I want it. Plus I may want to stat doing some bigger stuff and I'd like to not have to buy yet another bike.
    Ok. I wasn't sure. Yes, I did edit down my previous statement, because I didn't want it to sound condescending. But having read this, I think my earlier advice applies. Yes, when I say 6-8 foot drops, I mean free falling off a ledge to a transition. That is what the Enduro is capable of, and the the SX Trail is built for even bigger drops than that.

I'd say in your case, get a Stumpjumper FSR! It's a great bike capable of handling more than you'll throw at it, and it will still climb like a goat! The Enduro and SXTrail are designed for more aggressive riding. The SJ FSR is a full suspension ride that will allow you to blast down fire roads with ease! Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    Ok. I wasn't sure. Yes, I did edit down my previous statement, because I didn't want it to sound condescending. But having read this, I think my earlier advice applies. Yes, when I say 6-8 foot drops, I mean free falling off a ledge to a transition. That is what the Enduro is capable of, and the the SX Trail is built for even bigger drops than that.

I'd say in your case, get a Stumpjumper FSR! It's a great bike capable of handling more than you'll throw at it, and it will still climb like a goat! The Enduro and SXTrail are designed for more aggressive riding. The SJ FSR is a full suspension ride that will allow you to blast down fire roads with ease! Hope this helps.
    Oh no, not in the least bit. In fact it was exactly what I needed. I have really been struggling over this decision. Let me throw one other thing out there. I don't want something to replace my 29er. In fact if I end up not riding it my wife might be just a tad upset since I just bought it. I'm afraid that if I get the Stumpy, that's exactly what will happen. I ride with a guy that has a Yeti 575 and that's pretty close to the Enduro in travel specs. Anyway maybe it's my ego but I just wanna be up in that range. Maybe it's total overkill but I was also considering the Yeti ASR7. ANy more words of wisdom before I make my decision? I am getting such a good deal on the Enduro EVO that it's almost impossible to pass up.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Fireroads... newish rider... I would definitely give the Stump FSR 29er a look... perfect for fire roads and such where things aren't real tight...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I'm not really a newish rider. I've been riding off and on for 20 years. I'm just not familiar with all the terminology.

mtbr member
    I'm not really a newish rider. I've been riding off and on for 20 years. I'm just not familiar with all the terminology.
    Regardless, I truly believe the bike you want is a full-suspension Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    Regardless, I truly believe the bike you want is a full-suspension Stumpjumper.
    Ok, I'll take a closer look at them. Neither one has a through rear axle huh? Aren't they both 9mm QR in the rear? And some of the SJ FSR are even QR's in the front instead of the 15mm axles I think. Does that make not make as big of a difference as it seems?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ok, I'll take a closer look at them. Neither one has a through rear axle huh? Aren't they both 9mm QR in the rear? And some of the SJ FSR are even QR's in the front instead of the 15mm axles I think. Does that make not make as big of a difference as it seems?
    I might be wrong but I believe all of the 26 inch SJs are 9mm QR front and rear. Some of the 26ers have a tapered head tube and steerer tube however, adding to front end stiffness. I'm pretty sure all of the 29er models have both 20mm thru axels up front as well as tapered head tubes and steerer tubes. I think all SJs have standard 9mm dropouts in the rear.

mtbr member
    JeepCop, I have a 2011 SJ Comp and I love it. The bike is capable of a lot and even though I bottom out the suspension a lot I never feel it. I use this bike for all my trail riding and save my longer travel bike for down hilling. Take one out for a test ride and see what you think. Good luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowbutSure
    JeepCop, I have a 2011 SJ Comp and I love it. The bike is capable of a lot and even though I bottom out the suspension a lot I never feel it. I use this bike for all my trail riding and save my longer travel bike for down hilling. Take one out for a test ride and see what you think. Good luck
    I wish I could take something for a test ride. Unfortunately I am currently stationed (USAF) in a rather remote place with no ability to take advantage of that option. Anyway, it may be way too much bike as far as the travel is concerned but I just ordered the Enduro Comp. I should have it in a few weeks. Thanks to all for your input.

mtbr member
    Enjoy, and send a ride report!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mmckechnie
    I might be wrong but I believe all of the 26 inch SJs are 9mm QR front and rear. Some of the 26ers have a tapered head tube and steerer tube however, adding to front end stiffness. I'm pretty sure all of the 29er models have both 20mm thru axels up front as well as tapered head tubes and steerer tubes. I think all SJs have standard 9mm dropouts in the rear.
    Actually the StumpJumper EVO has a 15mm thru axle up front, but still has a 9mm QR in the back. Also it has the tapered head tube and steerer tube 1.125 to 1.5 inches