mtbr member
    Nov 2009

0s28 end caps with dt swiss rws 9mm

got a new epic expert carbon and really dig the bike. of coarse there is on thing i just can't live with.
    the front skewer stands out to me as being not good. it doesn't really clamp down well and looks cheap.
    i do like the os28 end cap idea but when i was looking for a new skewer the dt swiss rws 9mm skewer
    really stood out as a cool option. is it possible for to get some new end caps that are still 0s28 but would now
    accept the larger front skewer. like always anybody can think of another idea that would be appreciated also.

for the record when i say not clamping down well i mean it just doesn't give the feel of like a shimano xt skewer
    where you can feel the cam tighten up and then you can kinda snap the last quarter of it into place easily. this one feel increasingly firm the whole time making me think the lever might loosen up during a ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: 0s28 end caps with dt swiss rws 9mm

Specialized doesn't make the 9mm OS caps. My roval control sl came with 5mm and 15mm for the front.

There are some other threads on this / people trying to make them themselves, but didn't see anything successful last time I read them.

Never had an issue with the clamping myself, but its the Ti roval skewers that come with the sl so might be a little diff?
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member

0s28 end caps with dt swiss rws 9mm

Not sure is spesh still makes them or puts them on bike but this ( or os24) is what came on every model epic but the s-works a few years back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Last two bikes I had prior to my Stumpy FSR(has 20mm) were OS 28mm end caps w/ a 9mm RWS. They were a Stumpy EVO HT and a Camber Pro.

The Camber had DT wheels as it was an 11, but the EVO was a 12 and had similar Roval wheels like your Epic.

I was not aware they went away from the RWS. I was always impressed with the OS end cap and 9mm RWS, seemed(to me) as stiff as 15mm bikes I have rode.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Are you sure? I checked the specs on those two bikes and it didn't mention it at all. We are talking about the front wheel

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: 0s28 end caps with dt swiss rws 9mm

The Spec hubs with the 9mm OS end caps are for their cheaper hi-lo hubs, not on their rovals. My 2010 epic came with 9mm hi-lo hubs. These don't have interchangeable end caps like my rovals and they are not compatible.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Any decent machine shop can drill out the OS28 caps to allow use of the RWS. My buddy did that with his wheels so he could use the RWS on his Stumpjumper. Roval doesnt offer a OS28 with an RWS opening.
    2013 Stumpy Evo

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    did a little bit more research and found this article

specialized-29ers-roval-wheels-tech-and-interview

according to that artcile which was posted in 2010 they don't have any intention of making a 9mm rws end cap for the roval wheels. kind of a bummer.

i like how the system they have works and enjoy how the endcap has little nipples on it that fit into the drops outs so you don't really have to play the game of trying to get things to line up.

i was thinking i could get some parts from dt swiss but it also says in the article that the rear hub is a dt swiss hub and the front hub is not. it is a special hub just for specialized.

i do work at a machine shop and could make something up but i like knowing that a product has been tested and that it is made and tested alot to make sure the design is the best idea. i am not sure if drilling a 9mm hole through the end caps would be better or worse, since the rest of the end cap is hollow you would be taking away some ofhe area the that axle would rest on.

on another note i did find a better skewer in my box-o-parts in the garage. says shimano isn't labeled xt but looks exactly like my other xt skewer and i put that on there and it has a much better clamping sensation when clamping the wheel down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That makes more sense the Hubs on my stumpy EVO are the cheaper non DT Swiss hubs. Either way both bikes were setup from factory w/ 9mm RWS front wheel.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

RWS endcaps...

I had my Roval QR endcaps modified. Did not feel comfortable with just boring them out, so I had a some material added inside to support the axle. 0s28 end caps with dt swiss rws 9mm-2013-03-15-18.53.54.jpg0s28 end caps with dt swiss rws 9mm-2013-03-15-18.54.08.jpg
    that rug really tied the room together.

mtbr member
    Just to be sure - can i use roval Sl 29 wheels with normal quick releases? I will fit them at my 29er Stumpy HT with the stock sid 29.

Bos
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a 2013 Epic Comp with a Hi Lo front hub with OS28 endcaps. If I were to buy Roval control Wheels or Roval Carbon Wheels could I use the included Quick Release endcaps and Quick Release skewer?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you buy the roval wheels they come with the OS end caps...the OS end caps use your typical 9mm QR
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

Bos
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    If you buy the roval wheels they come with the OS end caps...the OS end caps use your typical 9mm QR
    Thanks! I was a little worried they wouldnt be compatible.