jt2
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

09 SX trail Crank arm length...

I've just bought a 09 SXt frame (medium, Gold) and I canít wait to get it out on the trail now
    Anyway I'm in the process of looking for components to build it up. I'm looking to fit the lighter end of the AM scale rather than the heavier DH end as I'll still need to pedal it uphill some of the time.
    During my recent searching I have found a shop selling Gravity Light MegaExo crankset reduced by £100!! Problem being that they only have them in 165mm or 175mm. I know the built up bike comes with 170mm cranks. So my question is, will it really make that much of a difference to fit the 165mm and just rise the seat the differing 5mm??
    Or I could also get an SLX crankset in 170mm for the same price as the Gravity Lights. Should I just get those instead
    I'm also considering some Truvativ stylo AM 2.2 (what comes on the built up bike). Iíve heard some negative things about these though.

Any help or advice on which crankset and how important the crankarm length is would be much appreciated. Infact any suggestions on components for this build would be fantastic

Cheers
    J
    Last edited by jt2; 12-09-2009 at 11:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You realize that 5mm is .19"? I doubt you'll notice that. I didn't

mtbr member
    Crank arm length is mostly to do with your height and bike fit, but for trail riding I think its not as important.

For the medium frame I would get SLX's in 170mm. For a large frame I would get 175's.
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

mtbr member
    165mm = less leverage force. 175mm = less ground clearance.

UNDEAD
    I have an '09, built it up with Race Face Atlas 170's...it's fine for me

I also have a pretty short inseam at 29 inches, 30 on a good day
    I ride a medium frame, came off of 175's and don't notice anything

But yes, 175's would be more leverage (if you climb alot) 170's have better clearance and for what the SXT is intended for...I'd go shorter
    2013 Specialized Enduro Expert
    Bronco D-handle square point Shovel