mtbr member

'09 SX Trail Air Shocks

Howdy all,
    I have a stock '09 SX Trail I that I love to death. My dream tho is to drop some weight so it's more pedal friendly (low 30 lb goal) but keep most of the characteristics of the coil suspension. I'll keep the stock coil setup for lift days, but I want to move to an air shock. The obvious players are the CCDB Air, Vivid Air RC2, and Vector Air HLR. So Canecreek doesn't have the Air listed on the fit finder for the '09 SX, just the coil. I heard that may have something to do with linear vs. progressive spring rates, not really sure...
    Anyways, does anyone run an air shock on their '09? What do you use and how does it compare to stock? I'm interested in the Vivid and Vector but I'm not sure what compression tune to go with and the leverage ratio of the bike.
    Thank you so much for the help!
    Matt

mtbr member

Rear Shock

I've got an 09 SX that I love, the best bike I've ever ridden hands down.
    I wanted to lighten mine up as well but found out there was no way I could get anything other than the standard Fox DHX5 Coil to fit as the rear suspension Yoke attachment wouldn't fit anything else.
    I fitted some carbon bars, a Ti Coil Spring, some HT AE02 pedals and some Fox Float 180's to lighten it up and it's not too bad, for general trail use a pair of Continental Mountain King Protection 2.4's can shave of quite a bit of weight as well. I'm not sure if the Cane Creek DB Coil would fit but if you hear of anyone managing to fit one successfullly on an 09 let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    As dodd4721 said. You can try and get someone to CNC machine the shock for you to fit the Yoke which is an option but at the end of the day the bike is still a pig to pedal.

I have a 2010 which I have riding for quite sometime and whilst I tried and got fitter peddaling the beast, I wasn't having much fun and the end of the day as used to take the crap out of me on trail days. So I have done the change to a 2013 Enduro Sworks. The differnece is monumental and having 165mm of travel makes the bike very capable and hitting same stuff as the SX Trail.

Plus I now smoke my riding group on the way up and on the way down.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by dodd4721 View Post
    Continental Mountain King Protection 2.4's can shave of quite a bit of weight as well.
    Tire change will be the most effective way to make the bike more trail friendly. Lighter weight and fast rolling tires are very noticable.

I gave bud who has an 09 SXT one of these - $25!
    780g, tough 33 tpi casing, very fast roller, grips on the back better than it looks.
    WTB Wolverine Special Edition Mountain Bike Tire - Bicycle Tires
    He says his SXT is faster and less draining now on XC rides.

P