fliernh
    Aug 2008

09 S Works Stumpy susp. bearings

Bike was ridden pretty much 5 days a week in Sept. and Oct. 08 and from April through October 09 (I retired early....). I sent the AFR shock and S-120 fork in to Specialized for service last week and while things were apart, I looked at the suspension bearings and noticed they were gritty and stiff so I took them all out and cleaned and lubed them (used pick to remove seal, cleaned with solvent, re-greased and re-installed seals).

Questions: Should the pivot bearings be serviced regularly? Is it "normal" for suspension bearings to get that way in only about a year (heavy use year but still a year)? Was I being foolish (and cheap) to try to service these instead of replacing them? And no, they were never "pressure" washed or otherwise abused.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Mark
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

gone for a bike ride
    i'd say serviced regularily especially if there's alot of mud where you ride, perhaps even replace them for appropriately sized sealed bearing?

my 6 month old 09 SW SJ began creaking after i'd not ridden it for 10 days straight, the bike was hardly ever more than very slightly misted upon by fog (here in SoCal) more sweat drops from me than anything

was suprised how rubbish they are to go creaky so fast, now have a 2010 SW SJ with sealed frame bearings - much better

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    i'd say serviced regularily especially if there's alot of mud where you ride, perhaps even replace them for appropriately sized sealed bearing?

my 6 month old 09 SW SJ began creaking after i'd not ridden it for 10 days straight, the bike was hardly ever more than very slightly misted upon by fog (here in SoCal) more sweat drops from me than anything

was suprised how rubbish they are to go creaky so fast, now have a 2010 SW SJ with sealed frame bearings - much better

How would I go about getting the appropriate sealed bearing to replace the lot? Here in New England if it is not wet it is getting ready to be wet (at least it seemed that way last summer). Anyone have a source and part number(s)?

Thanks,
    Mark
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

Picture Unrelated
    If you know how and are willing to repack the bearings, then go ahead and do that. You'll keep the life of the bearings long and working well. Specialized bikes will tend to get creaky if you don't keep the bolts nice and tight. So if you're getting creaky, chances are that you can probably just snug up some of the bolts and be on your way. Keep on your repack schedule, maybe once or twice a season and you'll be doing all you need to do to keep them running well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fliernh
    How would I go about getting the appropriate sealed bearing to replace the lot? Here in New England if it is not wet it is getting ready to be wet (at least it seemed that way last summer). Anyone have a source and part number(s)?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Check your local yellow pages for a store in the industrial section of town that sells bearings. The bearings used are common metric sized bearings, look for a number on the rubber seal and ask for that number with 2 rubber seals (2RS as the end of the number) or pay big bucks at Bocabearings.com for bearings with that number....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Enduro

Check and see if Enduro makes bearings for your bike. I replaced the ones on my Trance. I also owned an 02 epic and I had to regrease the bearings twice a year. Normal maintenance. Get a torque wrench and torque the bolts to spec.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all the input. I think I will look to maintain the bearings twice a year and replace them when that no longer works. Keep em torqued and lubed and all should be well for a long time.

I'm going riding!
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Fliernh, you sent your shock and fork to Specialized to be serviced on your own? I didnít know you could do that, I thought you had to go through a bike shop to have this done.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SweatyYeti
    Fliernh, you sent your shock and fork to Specialized to be serviced on your own? I didnít know you could do that, I thought you had to go through a bike shop to have this done.
    Sorry about the confusion. They did go to Specialized through my LBS as required. Spec. drives that hard, I understand.
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race