omo
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New question here. 09 S-works SJ E120 set up

Hi All,

Recently I replaced my 06 S-Works Epic with a 09 S-works SJ. I have been trying to get the SJ set up, but can't get the fork to sag at the recommended/suggested pressures. ( my weight 65 kg, front 60 psi 2 clicks reb. 2.5 turns from slow, rear 140 psi 2 clicks reb. 13 from slow) The fork seems to work ok, however the bike sits very strange, because the rear does sag, and the fromt doesn't it feels like riding a chopper.
    Recently I raced with this setup and doing the hard laps it works ok, but after about three hours into the race and settling at a bit slower pace the bike became very harsh.
    I have now tried to set up according to the spesh video and ended up with 45 psi in the front and 125 in the rear . This seems very low, in fact I get near full travel just pulling on the brakes! i will give it a go but am not too confident it will work...

Anyone have any experience with running such low pressures? Or any other tips?

Thanks,
    O.

mtbr member
    I have an Enduro, and previously owned an Epic. I'll tell you this much: Specialized makes some great suspension components, but their air-sprung forks take a little while to break in. The AFR shock in the rear seems to loosen up quickly, but the fork feels sticky for at least the first 10-15 hours of riding. After that, it's golden. My suggestion is to run with the Spec recommended PSI in the fork. If it TRULY feels exceedingly stiff when going over small/fast bumps, then let out 5-10 PSI, but I think 45 PSI is probably too low. The reason you are not getting any sag at the recommended PSI is simply because the fork needs more ride time to break-in.

(Calling "Speci-Suspension Tech" - Any input here?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi OMO;

Try this setup to start with:
    Front: 60 psi, Brain 3-4 clicks from full firm, Rebound 2 turns from full slow.
    Back: 125psi, Brain 2-3 clicks from full firm, Rebound 10 clicks from full slow.

Let me know how that works out for you, we can adjust from there. After you put about 15 hours on your bike, I would recommend to have your LBS adjust your fork's internal negative air spring to 60. It's stock setting is 50. Adjusting the negative spring to 60 will improve performance for lightweight riders.
    Last edited by Speci- Suspension Tech; 02-18-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

omo
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the replies! I will go change the settings and try them out. I already asked my LBS to change the internal negative air spring to 60 , they checked and it came factory set to 50?

O.
    Last edited by omo; 02-18-2009 at 12:46 PM.

omo
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Speci- Suspension Tech
    Hi OMO;

Try this setup to start with:
    Front: 60 psi, Brain 3-4 clicks from full firm, Rebound 2 turns from full slow.
    Back: 125psi, Brain 2-3 clicks from full firm, Rebound 10 clicks from full slow.

Let me know how that works out for you, we can adjust from there. After you put about 15 hours on your bike, I would recommend to have your LBS adjust your fork's internal negative air spring to 60. It's stock setting is 50. Adjusting the negative spring to 60 will improve performance for lightweight riders.
    Just got back from a ride, the suspension feels pretty good. I get near full travel front and the brain seems to work well, rebound feels good too. I have lost a bit of stiffnes on standing climbs, but can live with that
    The bike still "sinks" in the back, which makes the bike feel odd. I don't get full travel in the rear either but can't drop more pressure as the bike will drop even further down. I cannot notice any platform in the rear, it feels as if it is open all the time ( from 1 click onwards). With my old S-works epic you could really feel the rear adjustment work but I can't feel it working at all on this bike. I don't really get any pedal bob. but if I "jump" up and down on the seat I will get a lot of movement.
    Having said all this, the bike is not handling bad but not really as good as I expected....

Thanks

O.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It makes me think your rear shock is playing up. I set mine on 2 clicks from firm and the platform stays very firm, although a little softer than on my old Epic. I test it when on full firm and push down firmly on the saddle and this allows around 6mm of travel(the o ring moves down this much) Mine is set at 175psi for my weight. Mine certainly doesn't feel as though it is sinking when I sit on it. You should definately have a firm, although not fully locked out platform, when on its firmest setting

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N
    It makes me think your rear shock is playing up. I set mine on 2 clicks from firm and the platform stays very firm, although a little softer than on my old Epic. I test it when on full firm and push down firmly on the saddle and this allows around 6mm of travel(the o ring moves down this much) Mine is set at 175psi for my weight. Mine certainly doesn't feel as though it is sinking when I sit on it. You should definately have a firm, although not fully locked out platform, when on its firmest setting
    I could be wrong here (chime in, Speci-Suspension Tech, or anyone who knows for sure) but the Brains for the Epic and SJ are actually slightly different - they are "tuned" differently. The Epic is "race tuned," while the SJ is "trail-tuned." Again, I think the only difference is that the Epic tuned to have a greater threshold, making it a bit firmer in it's firmest setting. In other words, I don't think the SJ can completely lock out like the Epic, but you should definitely feel a very noticeable platform.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just so you have a good understanding:

Specialized Brain Suspension technology does not have a lockout, it has an inertia valve with user adjustable pedal platform firmness. When on smooth terrain in the full firm setting, the brain will minimize "bob"/pedaling inefficiencies, but when you ride over bumps the inertia valve "Brain" permits the suspension to be fully active. Brain fade technology allows the rider to determine the firmness of the platform from Firm----Soft.

The experience the Epic bicycle is aimed towards is maximum efficiency/racing so the brain is "race tuned" its platform range is firmer than the Stumpjumper, the SJ Brain is tuned for trail riding and its brain platform range is slightly less firm than the range felt on the Epic, but still maintains great efficiency.

OMO:

If you want your shock to have a firm platform, adjust your shock brain platform to the full firm setting. Same goes for your fork, expirement with 2-3 clicks from full firm, feel free to expirement until you figure out what works best for you.

Bouncing Up and Down on the saddle repeteadly does not replictate normal pedaling forces, since Brain technology is designed to minimize pedaling inefficiencies and is not a lockout, the suspension will move.

The more clicks from full firm you go the less noticeable the percieved differences become because in the differences between each click happen only in the high shaft frequency range.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

omo
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks all for your replies! I guess it is now up to me to see if I can live with the bike....I don't like the fact that the rear sags and the front doesn't.
    Speci- Suspension Tech I was aware that it wasn't a lock out however I was expecting some platform. I might try and run the rear with more pressure and see if that gets rid of the sagging or at least balances it to the front.
    I talked to my LBS and they suggest that for a light shorter rider the 08 Epic might be a better option
    Again thanks everyone and I will let you know what happens

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If it helps I run my rear shock 3-5 psi higher than recommended for my weight and 8 clicks from full slow on the rebound. I run 1-2 clicks from full firm on the brain.
    On the front I run 4 clicks from full firm on the brain, 1 turn from full slow on the rebound and 3 psi lower than recommended for my weight.
    I used to ride an 07 Epic and although the geometry is slacker on the Stumpy the rear brain is only slightly softer on the Stumpy. It certainly shouldn't sag too much. The front forks do take a while to settle in, but even when fully bedded like mine, they still do tend to slightly undersag. By running them four clicks out you get good small bump compliance and the brain still functional for when you hit the bigger stuff. (you still feel them opening up) , but more importantly very little dive under braking etc.

The E100 forks on my mates 09 S Works Epic also slightly undersag. We both get full travel front and rear though. Stick with the bike and once properly working/set up you will love it.

omo
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Pete N,

I upped the rear pressure to 130 psi and 2 clicks front 4 clicks left the other settings the same. I have also fitted a 100 mm 7 degree stem upside down instead of the 90 mm straight stem. This seems to get me a bit lower on the front of the bike and seems to distribute the weight a bit better especially uphill.
    I also went with a Speci- Suspension Tech tip (in the 2008 SJ thread) of lowering the tyre pressures. I fitted a new 2.2 captain on the front an left the 2.0 at the rear, front 20 psi and rear 25 psi.
    Decided to take the bike for a ride on some jeep tracks near home, basically a 22 mile loop with about 3500 ft of climbing. I was pretty surprised, the bike is pretty quick on the steep knarly up hills! There is no perceivable pedal induced bob . Standing up climbing there seems to be some front bob initially but it seems to settle after a few seconds. Running the tyres at low pressures seems to give a pretty smooth ride on the gravel as well ( where the suspension doesn't kick in)
    The bike is scary quick on the downhils Some corners came up pretty quick today but the 2.2 at the front seemed to bite pretty well.
    I guess I might keep the bike at these settings for a while, get used to riding it and play with the settings a bit more later.
    I didn't mention in the original post that I got the frame as a warranty replacement for my 06S-works epic. The frame had a very small problem and as there were no epic frames available at all I was given an 09 SJ frame, this build up actually is quite a bit lighter than my Epic and should work well in 24 hr races! great service