mtbr member
    Mar 2010

09 rockhopper comp disc

I have thought about buying a new bike but I cant see what I would gain. Im really satisfied with my bike which is odd for me. I went to a lbs today and looked at KHS, Cannondale and giant. The guys at the lbs kind of acted like my bike was not very good. If I thought that a new bike would really add any fun to the sport for me I would get one but I would really have to be sold on something else. Could a weekend warrior like me benefit from x9 and juicy components?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You have a good bike. The bike shop is in the market to sell you a new one. You would benefit from upgrading some components if you feel the need to spend money. Start with a good used Fox front fork. You can probably find one around 200.00 That is just my thoughts.

Master of Disaster
    Personally, I think you should demo (off-road if possible) a 29er to see if a 26er HT is where you still want to be. If so, you can shop for upgrades. If you want a 29er HT instead...

PHOTOS
    Access XCL 29er from PerformanceBike.com ?

2010 Access XCL 9r 9.5
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1511000_400308
    Price............$599
    Frame.........Access XCL 9r
    Fork.............RockShox Dart 3 29" (100mm travel)
    Brakes.........Avid BB5 185mm front/160mm rear
    Levers..........Avid FR-5, SLV bracket, alloy
    F.Derailleur..SRAM X.5
    R.Derailleur..SRAM X.5 long cage
    Shifters..........SRAM X.5 Trigger
    Tires...............GEAX Saguaro 29x2.2, Kevlar bead
    Crank............TruVativ 5D 3.0, 22/32/44T
    BB..................Cartridge, steel
    Pedals.........Wellgo LU-C25 w/ boron axle
    Cassette......Sunrace , 9-speed, 11-32T
    Chain............KMC HG73. 1/2" 11/128" 106L
    Hubs.............CNC alloy, disc, sealed, 32H
    Rims..............WTB SpeedDisc All MTN 29", 32H
    Headset.......Cane Creek Semi-integrated
    Handlebar....Alloy, 620mm, 6 degree, 25mm rise
    Stem..............Forged Alloy 4-bolt; 31.8mm
    Grips.............WTB DC Trail Grip
    Saddle...........Velo
    Seat Post......FSA SP-SL-280, 31.6mm, 350L
    Sizes.............17-19-21-23
    Color..............Slate

For a couple of days last week, PB had the 2010 9.7 model on sale for only $850. The upgrades from Dart3 fork to Tora SL(coil), BB5 brakes to Elixir, and SRAM X.5 components to X.7 would cost a lot more than $250 if you did it on your own but anyway it's back up to $999 again now....

2010 Access XCL 9r 9.7
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...7_20000_400308
    Price............$999
    Frame..........Access XCL 9r
    Fork.............RockShox Tora SL (100mm travel)
    Brakes.........Avid Elixir 5 185mm front/160mm rear
    Brake Levers..Avid Elixir 5
    F.Derailleur..SRAM X.7, 34.9, top-pull
    R.Derailleur..SRAM X.7, long cage
    Shifters.......SRAM X.7 Trigger
    Tires...........Schwalbe Albert HS 29 x 2.1"
    Crank.........TruVativ FireX 3.3 aluminum, 22/32/44T
    BB.............TruVativ Giga X Pipe XR
    Pedals........Wellgo WPD-801, chromoly axle
    Cassette......SRAM PG-950, 11/34T, 9-speed
    Chain...........KMC HG73 1/2" 11/128" 106L
    Hubs...........CNC alloy, disc, sealed, 32H
    Rims...........Mavic TN 719 Disc, 29", 32H
    Headset.......Cane Creek Semi-integrated
    Handlebar.....MTB, butted aluminum, 710mm, 25mm rise
    Stem...........Forged Alloy 4-bolt, 7 rise
    Grips...........Velo Oury
    Saddle..........Velo
    Seat Post.....7075 Aluminum, 31.6, 350L
    Sizes...........17-19-21-23
    Color............Metallic Grey

Habitual Line Stepper
    May 2009
    The Rockhopper is a good bike. I had an 09 Comp Disc as well and have no complaints for what it is. If you're happy with the bike I don't see any reason to buy something else.

As for upgrading components.... If you plan on keeping the bike for a while, and if you're happy with it I'm going to assume you are, then a fork and wheelset upgrade is where I would start. The shifters and derailler upgrades I would only do if these components were broken.

However, if you're on the fence about a new ride then yeah go out and demo some new bikes before deciding you're actually going to buy a new one. You may demo some 29er and/or full suspension rigs and decide the Hopper is all you need or want. Or you may realize you "need" a new bike. If this is the case there's no point in upgrading anything onthe current bike. Sell it and put the funds toward the new ride or keep it as a back up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. I rode quite a bit today and really cant see a need for a change. The bike fits me great and is very comfortable. Looks like its a keeper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What is your current bike? Is it a Rockhopper or is that what the LBS is trying to sell you.

How much do you ride each day? Each week? I find my 09 Rockhopper Comp Disc is great for me- I try to get a 6 to 8 mile trail ride in every night and the weekend ride on some of the local mtb trails with more technical challenges. Upgraded the pedals to some Forte Shovels- much improved!

Thats not to say that I "needed" to get that upgrade- I was riding a 1990 Giant Yukon two years ago and having a blast even though it was fully rigid. I just felt it was time to upgrade, and now I am riding more than ever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I own a 09 Rockhopper now. I love it and ride it about 20 miles a week. The lbs was acting like it was a walmart bike. But I dont really care what they think. Im sure it was a little jealousy because they dont carry the Specialized line.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadman
    I own a 09 Rockhopper now. I love it and ride it about 20 miles a week. The lbs was acting like it was a walmart bike. But I dont really care what they think. Im sure it was a little jealousy because they dont carry the Specialized line.
    Def. NOT a Walmart bike

I am really satisfied with my RH. Since I purchased it I have been working on my mtb skills... these bikes have come a long way since since 1990 (my Giant Yukon). I have also learned so much about components and quality since this purchase. I can't see any reason for me to get a more expensive as of right now. If I trash the wheels or fork, I plan on spending the money to upgrade to a higher quality component. Enjoy your bike!

Well, The sun just came out so I am off to hit the trails

Here is an image of my RH
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sjd181
    Def. NOT a Walmart bike

I am really satisfied with my RH. Since I purchased it I have been working on my mtb skills... these bikes have come a long way since since 1990 (my Giant Yukon). I have also learned so much about components and quality since this purchase. I can't see any reason for me to get a more expensive as of right now. If I trash the wheels or fork, I plan on spending the money to upgrade to a higher quality component. Enjoy your bike!

Well, The sun just came out so I am off to hit the trails

Here is an image of my RH
    That is the same color I have. mine has the dart 3 forks on it. What kind are yours?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That is the same color I have. mine has the dart 3 forks on it. What kind are yours?
    I have a Dart 3 on it. I like that it has a lockout... that comes in handy for any travel on paved roads. Have you checked to make sure your handlebars are not affected by the recall?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have a Dart 3 on it. I like that it has a lockout... that comes in handy for any travel on paved roads. Have you checked to make sure your handlebars are not affected by the recall?
    I didnt know about a recall. Whats the deal? Thanks

Habitual Line Stepper
    May 2009
    First I've heard about a recall as well. I just looked on spec's website and didn't see anything about it,,,?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by s30.hybrid
    First I've heard about a recall as well. I just looked on spec's website and didn't see anything about it,,,?
    It's listed under Safety Notices on Spec's website. Check out the HL13NTFOV Handlebars Link for the Recall.

I have also posted the link.

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...ars_190309.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It's listed under Safety Notices on Spec's website. Check out the HL13NTFOV Handlebars Link for the Recall.

Thanks. Is the part number on the bars somewhere?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks. Is the part number on the bars somewhere?
    I checked my bar and I didn't see ANY part number. I called my LBS and they said that all the recalled bars were switched out. I looked on another post (I can't remember the one) and the replacement bar was just like mine. I will try and post an image of my bars in a day or two.

Let me know if you do find a part number. Good Luck

Have you done any upgrades? What do you think of the tires? I was not sold on them in the shop, but once I took it out a few times I was impressed with them. They rarely let me down. Even today I was impressed with their ability to power through some really deep mud and slick trails. We have had rain the past few days and the clay is really slippery.

Habitual Line Stepper
    May 2009

thanks for posting the link. Not sure how I missed it earlier. I sold that bike to a friend and want to be sure it wasn't affected. I purchased after the date listed on the notice so I'm sure we're ok. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I checked my bar and I didn't see ANY part number. I called my LBS and they said that all the recalled bars were switched out. I looked on another post (I can't remember the one) and the replacement bar was just like mine. I will try and post an image of my bars in a day or two.

Let me know if you do find a part number. Good Luck

Have you done any upgrades? What do you think of the tires? I was not sold on them in the shop, but once I took it out a few times I was impressed with them. They rarely let me down. Even today I was impressed with their ability to power through some really deep mud and slick trails. We have had rain the past few days and the clay is really slippery.
    I cant really find anything wrong with the bike. The tires work well for my capabilities. Everybody says to replace the wheels. Why? Mine roll great. Ive been caught up in the change out everything before and it is just a waste of money.If it isnt broke....leave it alone.

Members who have read this thread: 0