just ride
    Oct 2006

New question here. '09 FSR Comp vs '10/'11 FSR Comp... same or better?

I rode a 2009 FSR Comp today and I'm blown away on how confident I was going downhill on this bike. The trail that we went to, we would normally stop on some rocks/small drops to walk because we feel we cant clear it (I ride 2009 Scott Genius 50 in size SMALL btw). With the FSR Comp in size LARGE, I didn't even put my feet on the ground. My foot was never out of the pedal! I rode it with confidence and I love that feeling!

The SCOTT is going out of my garage for sure (already posted For Sale) but I noticed that the 2009 FSR Comp rear sus design is different from the 2010 or 2011 FSR Comp. Is the 2010/11 better than the 2009? I dont want to buy something that I'll regret in a few weeks (just like my scott). I want to just ride it for at least 3 yrs then upgrade.

I also saw the Giant Trance X2 sharing the same rear shock design with '09 specialized but I will not go on that direction. I have been wanting to buy a specialized bike and this is the time!

Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you!
    Last edited by Tjay; 10-16-2010 at 04:53 PM.

mtbr member
    2010/2011 not necessarily better, but there are some differences.

Component wise, the 09/10/11 are very similar.

The biggest difference is that the 10/11 bikes have 140mm of travel as opposed to the 120mm of the 09.

The shock position was changed because according to Spec., the 09 shock placement was "trying to shear the seat tube in half". *

The 10 FSR comes w/ a Fox fork w/130mm.

The 11 comes with Rockshox Revelation w/140mm.

*I wouldn't worry about that...if you're the original owner and the 09 develops a crack because of stress applied by the shock position, you should be covered by the frame warranty and will probably receive a 2011 replacement frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The difference from the linkage change in the 08/09 to the 10/11 isn't something that most average riders can feel (I fit into the average category). I've found that the key is really the rear shock selection. I was not a fan of the stock triad on my '09 FSR, and researched a little and ended up installing a Fox RP23..what a HUGE difference. Sometimes I feel Specialized changes the linkage design periodically to entice new purchase from current owners. the 06/07 linkage style is closer to the design they are using now..Go figure.

Oh and shameless plug for my size large SJ comp........

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=56233&cat=500