mtbr member
    Jul 2008

... and if we just ... 09 F120 or TALAS for SJ Pro build

Wanted to get input on which fork to choose for my 09 SJ Pro Frame build. I do like the versatility of the TALAS but will it perform as well as the single travel F Series. Ideally I'd like to climb on 100 and descend on 140. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I would get a Float 140, unless you like travel adjustment. F-series is strictly XC, more of a lightweight racing fork . Float is rated for XC/AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.BeBoT
    Ideally I'd like to climb on 100 and descend on 140. Thanks!
    Get the talas that is like on the 07 SJ elite. The three settings are 100, 120, and 140. I have it on my SJ and it is great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    im using an F120 on a 2008 SJ pro. practically no difference between an 08 and 09 SJ frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    there is always not enough time to change the travel - or maybe it's cause i'm lazy depends on your terrain, your weight and how fast do you like to go. I'm 190cm/80kg and go up to 50-60km/h on dh's.120 is a too small for high speed and rocky mountains, but uphilling with 140-160 suck. I've chosen 120 with lockout - my freinds with bigger travel are faster on open dh sections but on flat and uphills i'm faster. on tech sections travel is not that important - I think.
    SJ FSR Expert 08
    Tarmac Expert 09

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have an 08. I like the f120 that's on there - it works very very well. That being said, i'd go for the talas. Who couldn't use an extra inch eh? And you can wind it down for climbing so that to me sounds like the best of both worlds.

One of the 09s will come with the talas OEM - that should mean that 140mm up front won't void the warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks guys, I'm probably going to go with the TALAS then. My rides usually consist of long ups, then long downs so it seems like it would make sense in my situation.

Now I just gotta decide on M or S frame (I'm practically right in between the 2)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    IMHO you should go for the S then. You can always increase the size with longer stem or setback seatpost. Reverse, it's much more difficult.