mtbr member
    Apr 2009

09 Epic Rear Shock, Funny Noises!

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advise regarding my rear shock. It's fine in terms of function, brain, air pressure, no oil leakage, etc, etc... However, it is starting to make funny noises. Like a duckling. Seriously, every time the shock compresses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZsyKq77_5s

That's the noise. Cute when watching a duckling swim in a bath, irritating as hell on the trail...

I've just had my LBS/Specialized dealer grease the pivots, open up the air can and relube the internals, but that didn't help. What should I do?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My experience of excessive squelching noises coming from the shock has been when the head seal has failed or failing. The noise in this instance is oil and air mixing, so I am told. Is the platform OK when doing Speci Tech's platform test. I've had a few fail with this noise and loss of platform. The new re designed head seal has however cured these problems, so If it is failing or failed you will be sorted in no time.
    The platform test is the best way to determine this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N
    My experience of excessive squelching noises coming from the shock has been when the head seal has failed or failing. The noise in this instance is oil and air mixing, so I am told. Is the platform OK when doing Speci Tech's platform test. I've had a few fail with this noise and loss of platform. The new re designed head seal has however cured these problems, so If it is failing or failed you will be sorted in no time.
    The platform test is the best way to determine this.
    Thanks Pete. What's the platform test for a 2009 Epic Expert Carbon?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The below is a cut and paste from a Speci Suspension tech post.

To check the Platform function:

Set rebound fast
    Brain Full Firm
    shock pressure 140.

Stand next to your bike, use your forearm to press on the saddle.

the shock should have little/no play.

If there are several mm's of play prior to the platform, this may indicate service is needed.

Me

By pushing down with your forearm it allows you to feel gaps in the travel. Push down firmly but evenly. You should feel resistance/the firm platform. Before doing this push the travel O Ring up and then see how far it moves when you press down, . It isn't a put all your weight on the saddle test mind to try and force the shock to move

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks again, Pete!

Members who have read this thread: 0