mtbr member
    Jan 2011

09 Epic Expert Carbon 2x10 question

Before I begin, this is my first post I have done a couple searches for what I am looking for, but to no avail. My question is this. I want to go XX 2x10, but have been stopped dead in my tracks with an incompatibility issue with the DM FD. SRAM says Carbon frames with alloy chainstays are not compatible with SRAM XX front derailleurs. Has anyone tried using a Shimano XTR FD with the SRAM 2x10? Does anyone think this will work? It is already running a Shimano setup that came on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can also get the 2010 chainstay

mtbr member
    What about X0?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yeah...

i just did this and got a 2010 chainstay. that is the best solution.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Specialized Tech recommends a 2011 Era chain stay

I installed a 2011 XTR Double Derailleur on my 2009 Epic Marathon. It utilizes the same pull geometry and mounting as Triple Shimano Derailleurs. I have ridden a full XX drive train bike and this combination works as good. Lightning quick shifting on or off load and no chain rub crossed up in either chain ring.

XX 42/28 chain rings, XTR 40/44 DD, X0 Triple Shifter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Jacobus - Thanks for the info "Specialized Tech recommends a 2011 Era chain stay"

I will give this a shot then. By the way, where did you end up getting your 2011 chainstay? At your LBS or somewhere else?
    Last edited by uraneum; 02-09-2011 at 10:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uraneum
    Jacobus - Thanks for the info "Specialized Tech recommends a 2011 Era chain stay"

So Specialized tech recommended the 2011 Era chainstay for the 2009 Epic to use for the xx crankset? I will give this a try if so! Thanks so much!
    Specialized tech recommended the 2011 Era chain stay for the 2009 Epic so you can use the correct Direct mount (S1/S3) Sram double derailleur. The 2011 Era chain stay is not necessary for Shimano Double derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Jacobus, got it! I misundestood you

So, as it stands, I should be good with just getting the Shimano XTR FD. I already have the XO triple shifter. By the way, what we are talking about is what your picture you added in the earlier post is showing right?

mtbr member
    You got it

The pic is my set up:
    2011 S-Works Crank
    2011 Sram XX Spider & 42/28 10 speed chain rings
    2011 Shimano FD-M986 E XTR 40/44 DD
    2011 Sram 1031 10 speed chain
    2007 Sram X0 9 speed triple front shifter
    2007 Sram X0 9 speed rear shifter
    2007 Sram X0 9 speed Rear Der.
    2010 Shimano XT 11-34 9 speed cassette

PS: I was told none of this would work together
    Last edited by Jacobus; 02-09-2011 at 11:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Jacobus, why didn't you want to use Shimano's double shifter? Obviously the triple shifter works, but by using the triple shifter with the double, was there any issues with the "extra" shift position?

mtbr member
    The Shimano front shifter is convertible between double-(2x) or triple-(3x) 10sp drive trains. Basically is is a triple shifter that has a switch that locks out the low position and utilizes mid & high positions. I used the low and mid positions of my X0 triple shifter. There are no "extra" positions because it cant shift past the derailluer stops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Gotcha! Good information.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Jacobus, the questions keep coming the more I think about this. Different topic though!

Which Bottom Bracket did you end up using for the cranks? Did you do the work, or your LBS? I am just wodering if there are any gotachas I should know about ;-)

Thanks again, you've been a great help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Man I am running this thread ragged

I just spoke to my LBS about the 2011 Era chain stay for the 2009 Epic so you can use the correct Direct mount (S1/S3) Sram double derailleur. They said the specialized tech said the Era is incompatible with the Epic, and said they do have the Epic 2011 chainstay that will work with what I am trying to do with the xx FD direct mount.

mtbr member
    Bottom Bracket is Specialized OS bearings.

Specialized told me, per the engineer, the 2011 Era alloy chain stay is the only option for running a Sram double derailleur on my 2009 Epic. Not sure why they told you different or recommended a 2011 Epic chain stay. 2011 is a totally different design.

PM sent with contact info

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ok, I just spoke with another tech at specialized about this. My LBS also called specialized. They have said that with my 09 Epic Expert Carbon and its incompatibility with the DM FD, to change the chainstay for compatibility. There have been posts on here stating they were told an 11' Era chainstay will work. My discussion with specialized led to them telling me to get the 09' Epic Expert (non-carbon) chainstay, as those are compatible with the alloy chainstay adapters on those particular chainstay. Lots of confusion on my part :-) But I think I know what part I need now to get this XX 2x10 finally mounted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wow, around and around we go. Had to order a S-Works 2010 chainstay to get this to work. By the way, if anyone is trying to do the same, they do not have any more 2011 Era Chainstays at Specialized and they do not know when they will, so they said the other option is to use the 2010 S-works chainstay, will do the same thing. Cost me $200 + tax at my LBS.