mtbr member
    Jun 2008

'09 Enduro E150 Fork/Triple Clamp Gone!

I got to see the 09 catalog yesterday at my LBS and the Enduro is getting a significant mods. Namely the E150sl front shock and triple clamp have been changed out to a std front fork set up using the Fox 32 Float for the Comp and the Fox 32 Talus for the Pro and expert. The S Works model will keep the E150 Future Shock and the triple clamp.

My son is set to buy an '08 Enduro SL Comp but we both have some questions after seeing the changes for '09. I'm still thinking that the '08 could be a good value. The bike rides well, the problems with the early E150 shocks have been fixed and the warranty is 5 years. Most likely one of the reasons Specialized made the change was mfg costs...but the 2009 bikes are a few hundred more anyhow. If there are any savings they went into Specialized pocket.

I'm interested in hearing other thoughts on the 2009 Enduro design changes compared to2008. Especially the Comp models where the Fox 32 float is replacing the E150 w/triple clamp.

Myself, I was leaning toward the SJ fsr Expert with the brain but the 09 Experts are brainless (nyuk nyuk) except for the Carbon model. They're coming with a new fork too, a Fox Talus RL 100-140 adjustable w/ Triad rear shock. The Comp will have the Float 32 fron shock w/Triad rear shock.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    For me, the triple clamp of the e150 is one of the major draws of the Enduro SL.

What is going on?!
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    For me, the triple clamp of the e150 is one of the major draws of the Enduro SL.
    Yup! And among other reasons.. that is why I purchased an '08!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, the 08 Comp is such a steal considering you'll have to spend thousands more next year to get the E150. The weird thing is that if you look at the product descriptions in the catalogue it clearly says what Fox Fork it will come with. The accompanying photo for each Enduro features a fork that is completely unlabeled and to my eyes has a suspiciously Rock Shox looking set of lowers on it. Obviously that simply could have been what they had to mount up to it at the time of the photographs and they figured we wouldn't notice or really care (can't say I really do too much).

Of course the different fork spec could be to keep the Enduro Comp price level similar for next year. Who knows for sure? Not me.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by carefreemountainbiker
    Yup! And among other reasons.. that is why I purchased an '08!
    I imagine the significant price increase w/o there being any major improvements was a pretty good reason too.

mtbr member

Listen! E150 2009 onwards?............Don't blink!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news; but you'll be more likely to see Pamela Anderson running naked down the trails than a new set of E150 Forks from 2009 onwards

See;

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...33301#poststop
    Lend me £20.00 and I'll buy you a drink!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Love / hate relationship

I purchased an 08 about 4 weeks ago and while I love it I hate it as well. The e150 fork is amazing when it works, but the huge stiction problems with the 07 e150 still lives with the 08 version. It seems that you pretty much need to service the fork lowers about ever 4 weeks or more if you ride it a lot.

This seems crazy to me, but it appears to be a well documented (and accepted by some) price to pay to ride such an amazing bike.

I applaud the cutting edge work Specialized is doing with the AFR series of suspension but they all seem to have big problems. The warranty issues may be why the e150 is only offered on the SWorks from now on.

One of the reasons I purchased the 08 Enduro SL was to give my 07 Epic S Works a break from daily riding. I have gone through 3 rear shocks (and 1 carbon frame) in less than 400 miles of riding. Even the latest 08 shock that is truly a work of art is starting to exhibit the same flaw after only 4 rides.

Clearly they haven’t worked out the design / production issues yet with the AFR series.

The other issue with the triple clamp on the Enduro is noise!!! This thing creaks and moans with every lift, push, twist and turn. I have pulled everything apart, cleaned and greased it to death. The noises go away for ¾ of a ride then they come back. This is a petty complaint but it really bothers my flow when I do a big pull to get over a rock or stump only to hear huge creaks emanate from the bars I am pulling on. Often I wonder if I just broke something.

God I love this thing, but it has a lot of quirky issues that I hope they work out soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorisoli
    ... but the huge stiction problems with the 07 e150 still lives with the 08 version.
    It sounds like you've read up a lot on the E150 fork. There's a recent thread about stiction and fork alignment. Post #9 in the thread below explains the alignment procedure:
    e150 fork alignment

Interesting about your creak problem, I don't think I've heard of that before. I have three E150 forks all bought used, none of them make any noise from the triple clamps or the stem or the bar clamp. Could your problem be the headset or the clamping force to the headset?? Also, are you using a torque wrench on all the clamp bolts?

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog

Interesting about your creak problem, I don't think I've heard of that before.
    Not a single creak from my '07 either after a solid year of hard riding. On the other hand, my friend has an '08 that creakes like a rocking chair.

Of course, I am very dilligent about cleaning and lubing everything after nearly every ride, while he rides it hard and puts it away wet, so...

Also, I never use water or any other solvent to clean it, just a couple of soft bristled brushes, including a toothbrush for the drive train, then wipe the frame down with a tri-flow soaked rag.

That does a nice job of cleaning the frame up once most of the dirt is removed, and keeps it looking brand new. Almost every time I ride, someone asks me if I just got it.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly do not pamper the thing, I only have one bike so it's on full time duty. I ride the crap out of it in rocky and dusty conditions, and maybe spend a single hour a week on maintenance. Plus, I weigh 215lbs, so it's certainly working for its miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Active thread

Yes, I have read everything I can about the issues with AFR, I am even thinking of standing up a whole website on the single subject of AFR. I even registered the domain name SPECIALIZEDAFR.COM because I am so passionate about the technology. I really do believe this is some of the best R&D ever done on suspension, but it is not quite primetime yet.

Also I grew up in the early 70’s racing motorcycles for about 25 years (motocross, desert, observed trials) and I see a lot a parallels to the motocross bikes of the early and mid 70’s when everyone was trying to figure it all out. Tire sizes, geometry, travel, strength, weight. Somewhere in the early 90’s motocross bikes were nearly perfected… There is a lot to learn from the past.

The creaking is coming from 3 specific areas and I am learning the sounds that each area makes. The worst by far is the handlebar and handlebar clamp. I have tried it dry as a bone, Teflon, Teflon grease, waterproof grease, even Phil Wood’s Tenacious oil. Right now I am using anti-seize compound on the bolts and shoulders along with waterproof grease between the bars and the clamp.

The other areas are where the triple clamps meet the fork tubes. Once again, nothing I have found works for more than an hour or so. The stem and clamp area is less of a problem, but it is there.

I even tried an old trick from the 70’s of filing and sanding a small radius on all of the handle bar clamp edges. Motorcycles of that era were prone to this as well and that little trick made a world of difference.

So if ANYBODY has a suggestion I am all ears!

Once again, I do not want to be perceived as a Specialized Basher, that is not my intent. I believe in the company and products. They have been very responsive with shipping out replacement parts (even fedexed a new carbon frame for my 07 Epic) with few questions asked. The e150 is frustrating because of how often I am going to be servicing the fork lowers. I worry that the various parts / bolts / etc were not designed for 12 R&R operations a year. The soft aluminum threads were not meant for this type of activity. I can see several helicolis in my future.

The other aspect is a bit nebulous. I must admit that I don’t have the confidence in either of my two bikes, 07 sworks Epic and 08 Enduro SL. I have always been a conscientious mechanic and spend a substantial amount of time performing preventative maintenance on all my toys. It used to be with my 04 Sworks Epic that I would never think twice about tossing the bike in the back and driving 4 hours to go ride someplace. Now I must stop and think, which of my bikes do I feel more comfortable with. Which one has the highest chance of no issues on the ride. See I have had the forks on my SL almost seize up on a ride from the stiction issue. It would be ridged on all but the worst hits, then it would let out really bad noises! The Epic rear shock is notorious for losing its brain mid ride as well. My 04, with 100% Fox never had an issue beyond the leaking front seals which was fixed with some aftermarket seals. The two new AFR bikes are a bit finicky. I must always make post-ride notes on the state of affairs which is a bit sad…

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Forgot...

Forgot to add that I only wash my bike when I need to do any serious work to it and then VERY carefully and with low pressure.

As to the torque wrench, I have very expensive inch lb and foot lb wrenches along with torque charts on both bikes up on the wall…

backwoods and backwards
    A fox 32 is going to feel like a noodle compared to the e150. I wouldn't buy it.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    If its any consolation mmorisoli my 08 sl creaks like an old gate periodically. Solved only by a strip down of the clamps and a complete clean and regrease of the E150's. was giving it to the lbs to sort out but to be honest they werent doing anything different and i would rather know its been done properly and do it myself. Doesnt seem to be the that torque settings make any difference either. If you go by the factory settings using a quality wrench with a good pull up on the bars you can see the clamps slipping. Would love to find out if anyone makes an aftermarket clamp so i can ditch the combined stem/clamp set up and run a good (thomson) stem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

What are you talking about!!??

Quote Originally Posted by Lipps64
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news; but you'll be more likely to see Pamela Anderson running naked down the trails than a new set of E150 Forks from 2009 onwards

See;

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...33301#poststop

I don't believe it says anywhere in there that the E-150 is going bye bye.

According to the response to your email it will be on S-Works 2009 Enduros and be available aftermarket for 2009. No where does it say that it will be gone.

I have already seen a few on the trails run by the "lucky locals" here in NorCal. I have yet to see Pam or her somewhat deflated breasts.

That fork rocks and is here to stay!

Oh, and the new black lowers and "wet black" crowns and stem look pretty mean!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I must admit I truly love this bike! Just finished a 17 mile ride on a great rocky technical trail and had an absolute blast. The forks are perfect again after a lower leg service and it handles beautifully! It is amazing how much faster I am on the same trail with the Enduro than my Epic. This trail is rocky to the point where the Epic just doesn’t have the suspension. The Enduro floats over everything without having to worry much about your line…

You are 100% right about the bar clamps moving, you can see it. Perhaps it was a design mistake to put the seam on the vertical axis instead of the horizontal axis like motorcycles have done forever.

In the off chance If anybody has a trashed upper triple clamp they would share with me for awhile, I could have a good friend of mine with a wonderful machine shop build a few new triple clamps up out of something like 7071 billet aluminum with a few design changes…

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Reading behind the lines, the numbers stack up (or not!)

Quote Originally Posted by ARider
    I don't believe it says anywhere in there that the E-150 is going bye bye.

According to the response to your email it will be on S-Works 2009 Enduros and be available aftermarket for 2009. No where does it say that it will be gone.

I have already seen a few on the trails run by the "lucky locals" here in NorCal. I have yet to see Pam or her somewhat deflated breasts.

That fork rocks and is here to stay!

Oh, and the new black lowers and "wet black" crowns and stem look pretty mean!

Hmmm(??)

Only made available on S-Works Enduro SL (very expensive & meagre market percentage) + Very expensive after-market purchase option to be paid on top of an already bought bike package provided inclusive of Fox Shocks = Very few numbers indeed of E150 Forks to be seen hitting the trails 2009 onwards!!

Likewise, the likelihood of seeing Specialized branded forks chosen for alternative bike manufacturer's frame packages by owners selecting raw-build components I would suggest = infinitismal

The unique selling point (USP) claimed by Specialized at the onset of the introduction of the Enduro SL was, "Specific suspension components especially developed to provide a fully integrated suspension chasis perculiar to and wholly complementary within the overall Enduro SL design package". I have little doubt that the 2009 Enduro SL range incorporating Fox components instead of the E150 Forks will work and compliment the frame characteristics very well. However, as these are stock items made available for any brand of bike (irrespective of if there are to be any tuning or set-up tweeks introduced to harmonise the alternative brand Forks within the Enduro SL frame package), then the original USP allied to the Enduro SL range at the onset and reverberated throughout the previous two years of the bike model being made available prior to 2009 appears to no longer hold water(?)

E150's extinct? Maybe not; but on the other hand, I won't raise my expectations hoping to catch sight of too many White Rhinos on the trails during 2009 onwards either
    Last edited by Lipps64; 08-02-2008 at 07:43 AM.
    Lend me £20.00 and I'll buy you a drink!