mtbr member

08 SX Trail II complete bike weight?

Hi guys, Currently riding Trail at the moment BUT wanting to go bigger and I have been thinking about an 08 SX trail II, Can anybody give me some idea of the weight of the stock bike without upgrades?

Also what is the opinion of SX Trail I or II (i.e is the SX Trail II worth the extra for the upgrades you get, FOX 36 etc)

Do you think I should wait for the 09 Bike to come out or Grab an end of year 08 bargain?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im guessing around 35 pounds, my stock 08 sx2 is around 36 and i love it. cant comment on the 09 havent even seen one in real life yet nevermind ridden one

mtbr member
    Many thanks

D_F

mtbr member
    My sx trail 2 is 35 lb.s w/ fox 36 vanilla.
    My buddies got an sx trail 1 w/ 66 that is closer to 40 lb.s
    I changed out my chunder tires to nevegals and lost some weight. Other than that it's a pretty stock sxt 2. Great bike BTW, the new frame is going to be lighter with a better standover clearence. Although the 2007/08 are just fine. I've also seen some sx trails built to 30 -33 lb.s. My 35 lb. sx trail feels like a very good balance of strength and weight. It's bullet proof and never feels heavy.

mtbr member
    Excellent Hard chargin, I don't want a really light weight long travel bike, I have a trail bike already for going up fast (ish) and down fast! what I want is a bike that feels totally planted when launching and landing biggish jumps and drops!

I still do most of the jumps and drops but when I take off the bike feels awkward due to the geometry and landing feels unstable due to the skinny wheels and tyres and light frame weight! from what I can gather the 09 bike is gonna be pretty much the same weight (read it somewhere on the net) even though its a better aluminium, but has a slacker head tube angle by half a degree and it isn't adjustable like the 08 bike! plus as you say better stand over! won't be able to buy until Nov so if there aren't any 08 bikes left then I may only be able to get the 09 bike anyway!

I have been looking at a few other bikes to compare (Kona Coilair Magic link, Orange Patriot FR) but the Coilair seems a little Heavy trail and less freeride light, and the Orange is just totally over priced for the spec and probably ride quality.

I guess the thing to do is get a test on both and then see!

Cheers for your help

Take Chances
    I just bought the 2008 SX 2 frame and did my own build with Talas RC 2 fork, 729 hoops on CK hubs, running 1x9 drivetrain. Great bike, predictable and climbs well. I am looking to lighten it up with a Ti spring and Gamut 20 guide. May go with alternate rear wheel (721 with Hadley 10mm) to add some rigidity.

Stick with the SX 2 and you'll be flying like never before
    Cadmanrjm

mtbr member
    Cheers cadmanrjm

I spoke with MBR magazine in the UK and they recommended the Ti spring to bring the weight down a little! I thought about a frame and build it up myself but as I don't have any kit to put on it lying around it will cost me around 500 extra as an OK build and around 800-1000 extra as my dream build! So for me the factory spec bike will save me a fortune! I saw a Guy in Scotland a month ago who had a 2007 SX, he had a 66 RC2 ETA fork which give him (he said) 7" out front and 7" out back plus the ETA is a coil fork with travel adjust! he swore by it, said it was amazing to ride, he offered me a go but I said thanks but no thanks as I felt rude cause we had only just met him at the top of the first descent at Innerleithen, Really kicking myself now for not having a go! These next three months are really gonna drag till I can get my hands on the new steed.