mtbr member
    Jun 2007

'08 stumpy fsr vs '07

Anyone heard anything on the '08 stumpy fsr? I saw someone wrote they got bad reviews and I haven't really seen much for reviews on them yet. It seems like the seat tube would make it stiffer which would be cool and it's supposed to be lighter.

mtbr member
    Lots and lots of stuff written here. Try the "beware of specialized geometry" (or something similar) thread first.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i was pondering whether to go for an 08 SJ elite or an epic marathon but im beginning to lean in favour of the SJ, although there is negativity pointed toward the geometry, reading everything ive read so far i think the bike would fit me perfectly since i have the saddle on my xc pushed all the way forward and im still not close enough to the bars, i also like to be right over the crank, the 08 SJ is lighter now supposed to climb better and still comfortable on downhills, it would be a better trail bike than the epic and more fun for the type of riding i do, i also see a lot of the negativity is coming from people who've tried the bike but people who actually own it seem to like it, i cant wait to try one myself it could be the perfect bike for me

mtbr member

2008 SJ - Mucho Excellente

Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    i was pondering whether to go for an 08 SJ elite or an epic marathon but im beginning to lean in favour of the SJ, although there is negativity pointed toward the geometry, reading everything ive read so far i think the bike would fit me perfectly since i have the saddle on my xc pushed all the way forward and im still not close enough to the bars, i also like to be right over the crank, the 08 SJ is lighter now supposed to climb better and still comfortable on downhills, it would be a better trail bike than the epic and more fun for the type of riding i do, i also see a lot of the negativity is coming from people who've tried the bike but people who actually own it seem to like it, i cant wait to try one myself it could be the perfect bike for me
    I've had my Elite for six weeks or so and I've very happy with the bike. I came from a 2004 SJ 100 and count the Giant Trance and NRS as former rides. While I have tinkered a lot with my seat position and gone to a longer stem, I feel pretty good about the fit. I ride a medium and like to be stretched out so if you are the opposite, you'll probably be happier with the stock setup than I was.

The Elite made the most sense for me in terms of spec for the $$. I wonder what the brain would be like but I'm happy with the Triad - the 2008 is a big improvement over the 2004. The bike does everything that the SJ 100 did and then some. Only thing I wish I could change is that I'd rather have an annodized finish (ala my 04) but I'm cool with it.

T Smee
    Oct 2007
    I just got an 08 Stumpy FSR Comp a few months ago and I have really enjoyed it so far! My previous bike of 5 years or so, which I still have is an 02 Stumpjumper M4 hardtail. Have to say that the new bike is a whole different world. I can climb better and descend much faster with the new full suspension. I am in the southeast, so the hills that we do have are short and steep for the most part and normally with roots mixed in for fun... This bike is very fun to ride and really begs to go fast! My only complaint is the Juicy 5 brakes. They have really good stopping power and decent modulation, but I CANNOT get rid of a few annonyances. The front has a gobbling/shaking/vibrating problem that i've messed with and also had a couple really good mechanics look at and with no good solution yet to be found.... The rear just makes a squealing/grinding noise. Overall, I am really happy with the bike.