Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    41

    08 stumpy elite head tube flared

    so i had a little noise coming from the headset area so i started taking stuff apart. When i took the fork out of the bike the bottom cap which would normally be pressed in fell out into my hand. this is definately not a good thing. Has anyone had any other problems with this. I am going to the bike shop today where i bought it. I have already had the rear chain stay replaced on this frame

  2. #2
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886
    I have the same ride and have kept an eye on the headset, it came loose a lot during break-in. Anyways, flared head-tube is basically the end of your frame - depending on the issue it might be warrantied... but if the head-tube is looking really ovalized(from a big hit) you'll probably get denied..

    How are the bearings from that headset? Post some good pics maybe.. otherwise just take it to your shop. Was it the OEM headset?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    41
    i took it into the shop yesterday and told them that the bottom cup would fall out of the headtube. They checked it out and were suprised so they called specialized and told them that not only the bottom cup was falling out, but the top cup was as well. Specialized wanted to know if i was running an oem headset which i am fortunately. The specialized rep tried to say it sounded like rider error but the lbs told them that there were no dings or anything around it this was definetely a manufacture error. Specialized requested that they send video of the cups pushing in by hand and pulling out the same way. Hopefully this will be enough evidence for a new frame.

  4. #4
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandostumpy
    i took it into the shop yesterday and told them that the bottom cup would fall out of the headtube. They checked it out and were suprised so they called specialized and told them that not only the bottom cup was falling out, but the top cup was as well. Specialized wanted to know if i was running an oem headset which i am fortunately. The specialized rep tried to say it sounded like rider error but the lbs told them that there were no dings or anything around it this was definetely a manufacture error. Specialized requested that they send video of the cups pushing in by hand and pulling out the same way. Hopefully this will be enough evidence for a new frame.
    Well, hard to say if it was rider error. I have a crappy bottom bracket shell on my 08 elite, everything is fine according to them but, i've never seen one as bad or has such a creak. So yeah.. not sure what was going on at Specialized's supplier, meridia during that time.

    How is your triad holding up?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    41
    Good news I have a 2010 pro frame on the way only downside is I am going to buy a fork because I am riding a 120 float but couldn't be happier.

  6. #6
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandostumpy
    Good news I have a 2010 pro frame on the way only downside is I am going to buy a fork because I am riding a 120 float but couldn't be happier.
    Congrats, you've made it now! BTW, those are f-series forks not floats as spec'd online. If they were floats you could up the travel to 140mm by removing the spacers.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    41
    Are u sure my 08 stumpy elite has a 120 float rl wasthinking I would go talas 150 15 qr

  8. #8
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandostumpy
    Are u sure my 08 stumpy elite has a 120 float rl wasthinking I would go talas 150 15 qr
    If you have a float 32, then you can upgrade it to 140mm. I am sure because my says "F" right on the lower.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    41
    That's cool yea I looked at the spec online I guess I need to take a look at my bike how do you upgrade to a 140mm

  10. #10
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •