Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

08 Stumpy 29er - size 19"

I finally got my new bike on Monday. Even though the weather hasn't been great, I have managed to get it out and dirty a few times. I was quite impressed, and definitely noticed some immediate characteristics. Whether I will choose this bike for any races, I will wait and see. For now, I am still learning about whether it is right for me.

Firstly, I definitely will need to build up a light tubeless wheelset to make it race worthy. I'm doing a Stans Notubes 355/WTB Laserlite setup. Will be trying to determine which tire will work best. I really noticed the heavier wheels while accelerating or short climbs, but during steady efforts, no perceived difference.

Secondly, I noticed how well the front wheel tracks on steep muddy ruts. I think it is partly due to the elongated tire contact patch. Compared to all the muddy riding I did over the weekend with my Epic, it was instantly noticeable.

Third, I was doing some steeper gravel road climbing, and came across some large crushed rock in the 2-4" size. It was really noticeable how the bike rolled over stuff more easily compared to 26er. This is something many have previously mentioned, but until you experience it first hand, it is really significant and hard to explain.

I set up my 29er to be identical to my Epic 26er. Or, at least attempted to. Even with my stem in negative rise position, and with the lowest wedge shims in, I still couldn't get my bars low enough. I figure I'll give it a shot as-is, even though bars are about 3/4" taller than usual.

I'll have to upgrade a few other parts, aside from the seat post and saddle (Thompson Elite/FliteTT) which saved me 95g. I plan to swap the cranks for a pair of Race Face Deus XC cranks, the pedals for a spare Candy Ti pair, the shifters to X9, and potentially the front derailleur. The bottom swing LX one that came stock seems very close to the tire, and the spring and pivots seem vulnerable to debris. I am planning to look into a top swing Sram X9. Also, after using XO trigger shifters, these X7's seem to be lacking a discernable "click" when shifting to larger cogs.

I don't know how much weight all that will save, but I imagine it will be around 2 lbs. Maybe a tad more. It weighed at low 26lbs. the other day.

For your reference, I am a semi pro xc racer, 6'2", 170lbs, and inseam around 33". My saddle height in the pictures is set at 30.5" from c-bb to saddle in the plane of the seat tube. I have pretty long arms. I felt really comfortable on this sized frame.

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    damn...I know I'm jealous!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    what a fine bike, great buy men!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice.....Ive been making payments(no, the wife doesnt know ) on the same bike/size and hope to have it all paid for in another month....my intention is to make it a singlespeed and use for racing...good to hear your first impressions so far were good.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

a few suggestions

get rid of the SRAM or lower level Shimano cassette, throw on an shimano xt and save a good 120-150g's. next get rid of those specialized tires and try some kevlar WTB Nano's and watch the rolling resis decrease to a minimum. next, way to speed things up go with some DT 240's or any other super trick wheelset and save over 1lbs easy. if your really feeling lucky throw on some stan's alum rotors, be sure to bed them in and save another 120g's of rotating mass. now you have no excuses why you are so fast anyway:-) let us know how it works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brook_63@yahoo.com
    get rid of those specialized tires and try some kevlar WTB Nano's and watch the rolling resis decrease to a minimum. .

i love my fast trak tires, the only time the've been bad is mud.

Oz
    mtbr member
    That is a sweet looking bike! I really like the black frame with the blue accents. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice bike. The headtube may look a bit long for a 29er racebike, but that can be solved with an even more negative rise stem. On my previous 29er I had to put on a Salsa Moto Ace -40 degrees 135 mm stem to get the bars down to where I wanted them. It didn't look conventional, but worked perfectly. The comparison of bikes will not be fair if you can't sit like you prefer on one of them.

Good luck with the full-size wheel racing!

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

well, he is racing sooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    i love my fast trak tires, the only time the've been bad is mud.
    if he wants a really fast rolling tire with the least amount of friction than nano's have it going on.. way faster, and yes i have raced with both. for most courses, especially if they are dry, and relatively smooth, it just comes down to speed with decent grip.
    imlo

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Great looking bike! I test rode one and really liked it.

That crank is last years XT. The weight of the crank with BB shouldn't be much differnent than the Race Face. That switch may not be the most cost effective weight savings. The Stans wheels will make a huge difference. I've got a couple 29ers and a reasonably light wheelset is the key to happiness!

I picked up a set of Crossmax 29ers and have been really happy with them. Check out my review here... http://bike-reviews.mtbpath.com/. You can see them mounted on my FSR 29er.

Always been a big fan of the Stumpjumper hardtails - so either way you go the Stumpjumper should be a shredder!

mtbr member
    jealoous...

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    Great looking bike! I test rode one and really liked it.

That crank is last years XT. The weight of the crank with BB shouldn't be much differnent than the Race Face. That switch may not be the most cost effective weight savings. The Stans wheels will make a huge difference. I've got a couple 29ers and a reasonably light wheelset is the key to happiness!

I picked up a set of Crossmax 29ers and have been really happy with them. Check out my review here... http://bike-reviews.mtbpath.com/. You can see them mounted on my FSR 29er.

Always been a big fan of the Stumpjumper hardtails - so either way you go the Stumpjumper should be a shredder!
    Actually, the cranks are not same as last year's XT, which I have on my 07 Epic Marathon.
    I believe they are actually Deore or LX, but I have no idea for sure, since I haven't paid any attention to anything below XT for a good decade. Whether there is any tangible weight diff. though, I cannot say. Maybe I'll weigh them when I make the swap. The custom colored cranks on the carbon stumpy hardtail though do appear to share the XT look, w/ diff. color.

(Side note: I do know that part of the "light" part of the Race Face cranks are the "disposable" aluminum chainring bolts, which have always broken for me before I even get a chance to touch them w/ an allen wrench. I also have folded the 2nd largest cog on XTR casettes many times too, so maybe I'm just hard on the drivetrain! Steel bolts for me.)

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    get rid of the SRAM or lower level Shimano cassette, throw on an shimano xt and save a good 120-150g's. next get rid of those specialized tires and try some kevlar WTB Nano's and watch the rolling resis decrease to a minimum. next, way to speed things up go with some DT 240's or any other super trick wheelset and save over 1lbs easy. if your really feeling lucky throw on some stan's alum rotors, be sure to bed them in and save another 120g's of rotating mass. now you have no excuses why you are so fast anyway:-) let us know how it works.
    Good suggestion about the cassette. I overlooked that opportunity. I have a couple extra XT's, and maybe even an XTR spread around my different wheels.

I went w/ WTB Laserlite Disc hubs due to cost vs. gram savings factor. The WTB's are kind of under rated, I think. Basically Am. Classics, aside from a few minor differences. Freehub body is essentially the same. I rode them for a few seasons w/ good luck (Ritchey WCS labelled) and I like to stick w/ familiar stuff. My DT 240's on my CX bike are slightly lighter, but they didn't impress me that much w/ any extra durability for the cost. The seals still had issues just like all wheels when you use in the mud. I like King hubs, but don't like the buzz. I don't think the weight penalty at the hub is really significant, relative to what you might consider if it were in the rim. Too close to the center of rotation to be considered significant "rotational mass".

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Oh yeah, I have a pair of notubes rotors waiting for me at the shop. Leftover from previous year's order that didn't work on my epic front wheels (180mm) w/ the stock Magura Marta calipers.

I won't use them for mud, that is for sure. And not sure I really want to use it on front either.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

just for the record

well those are heavy-but i know thes other wheels are $$$. but.....
    bonty race xlite and mavic's are coming in around 1750g's and the WTB's anywhere from 1970-2100g's. that is a significant difference on the wheel and most likely not just the hubs.spokes nipples etc. 200g's+ is weight at the wheel..

other than that have a great season...

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    You're right about the crank. I thought that they were using the same crank on the HT 29er as they are using on the FSR 29er. The one on the FSR is the rebadged XT from last year.

Either way - sweet ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Seeing these pics is making it even harder to wait until saturday when I get to go pick up my stumpy 29. Its rough when the LBS is 150 miles away.

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Updated Pics - now race worthy

I've made some upgrades to the stock Stumpjumper 29er.

Wheels: Stans 355 29er rims, WTB Laserlite disc hubs, DT Swiss Comp 1.8/2.0 spokes (+/- 1700g. w/ valves and yellow tape, no skewers)
    Tires: Kenda Karma (500g. ea)
    Cassette: XT 11x34
    Cranks: Race Face Deus XC
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite
    Saddle: Flite TT
    Pedals: Candy Ti

Total weight: 24.07 lbs.

The only thing I think I'd do from here is put a slightly wider handlebar on with slightly more back sweep. I'd use a riser bar, but that puts the bar height too high relative to my saddle. If anything, I'd choose to swap the stem and lower the bars 1/2" but will keep that as is for now.

Here's some of the sliding dropouts and disc brake mount, as well as some other detail areas:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    CDB, what size is your stump? I got the 18 and I am hoping that it will be at least as light as yours. Mine should be pretty similar when built. Got the frame and I am putting the 09 Fox F29 fork, Stans 355/DT240 Hubs, Karmas, XT brakes + cranks build. Starting out as a single speed and seeing how that goes. I will post as it is built.

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    CDB, what size is your stump? I got the 18 and I am hoping that it will be at least as light as yours. Mine should be pretty similar when built. Got the frame and I am putting the 09 Fox F29 fork, Stans 355/DT240 Hubs, Karmas, XT brakes + cranks build. Starting out as a single speed and seeing how that goes. I will post as it is built.
    Maybe read the title of the thread?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My 18 should def. be lighter.

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    My 18 should def. be lighter.
    Well, yea... you did say singlespeed. Derailleurs, cogs, shifters do weigh something. Glad you could answer your own question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    CDB, my mistake didn't look closely at your thread title. Doesn't neccessitate rudeness.

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You are right, that was so very much NOT polite of me to point that out. Have a delightful day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Let's end this one: my mistake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast