Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

08 stumpjumper creaking noise

my 08 stumpjumper pro is creaking. it happens only when i pedal hard. i can also feel it in the seatpost and cranks. so far i took apart the crankset and seatpost. lubed it all over but the annoying creak is still there. please help.

ride ride ride
    Apr 2008

don't despair

rear suspension pivots. common problem. mine had it too. use tri-flo from time to time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i will lube all pivot points with tri-flo tomorrow. thank you for the tip.

mtbr member
    When you say you took apart the cranks, do you mean just taking the crank arms off of the bb spindle or totally removing the cartridge as well. I experienced a "creaking" problem a short time ago that was attributed to my bottom bracket shims being loose. I pulled the cranks, removed the BB, cleaned the threads and re-applied anti-seize to the assembly and reinstalled everything and viola! Problem solved! I don't figure this same thing could be the problem if you have the external bb cups, but if you have a cartridge bb, try this out if the pivot trick doesn't work.
    "What Would Doug Do?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you don't find it CHECK YOUR D-R HANGER BOLT! My frame was creaking like a bastard, seemed like the middle of the frame, all the usual suspects & pivots greased/tightened/etc, worse & worse, eventually full frame strip, finally found it. bolt had been installed cross threaded & was finally flogging out - only creaked when standing to pedal or pushing hard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sean newell
    If you don't find it CHECK YOUR D-R HANGER BOLT! My frame was creaking like a bastard, seemed like the middle of the frame, all the usual suspects & pivots greased/tightened/etc, worse & worse, eventually full frame strip, finally found it. bolt had been installed cross threaded & was finally flogging out - only creaked when standing to pedal or pushing hard.
    I am experiencing the same issue. Only creaks when I pedal hard or climb. Where is the DR Hanger Bolt?

Sorry complete noob here

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Both my brother and I have had a creak, mine on my epic and his on his stumpjumper.
    In both cases it was the Horst link bearing which is the one right near the derailleur hanger. It appeared to be caused by the chainstay velcro protector trapping in moisture, but can't say this was the reason for sure. However since folding this back to leave the bearing free I haven't had a problem for well over a year since replacement of the bearing.
    The bike shop discovered it was this one by standing the bike upright and then rocking the bike side to side by holding the chainstay, you could then hear the creak.
    It was then a very quick and easy job which was done under warranty in my case..

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Alby - derailleur hanger - the little bit that the rear derailleur attaches to - held onto frame by a single bolt .

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

08 stumpjumper creaking noise

so far i have removed, cleaned, and relubed all of the following but the creak is still there.

crankset- outboard bb cup type.
    rear skewer
    seatpost/ clamp
    upper and lower shock eye bolts(torqued according to specialized's manual)

tommorow i will work on other areas. wish me luck and thanks to all for the replies. i'll keep everyone posted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by angelotrek
    so far i have removed, cleaned, and relubed all of the following but the creak is still there.

crankset- outboard bb cup type.
    rear skewer
    seatpost/ clamp
    upper and lower shock eye bolts(torqued according to specialized's manual)

tommorow i will work on other areas. wish me luck and thanks to all for the replies. i'll keep everyone posted.
    I took my in yesterday and the creaking were coming from the pivots. My creaking occurs when I pedal hard or go uphill.

LBS said pivots usually dont have much lube on them to begin with. After a month or two.. it dries up... They told me I should not have to worry about it in the future but if it does again, they said ill have to replace the bearings.

We'll see.

mtbr member
    Just re tighten and re torque all of the pivot bolts....its that simple...My SL creals after about a month of hard riding and al i do is retighten all of my pivots including the link and it goes away

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    dont overlook the handlebar/stem clamp bolts.....oh, and also the actual saddle rails contact point with the seatpost. good luck....always some small annoying thing to fixate over!!!!

mtbr member

My fix

My 08 SJ creaked.

I tracked it down to the lower frame/shock mount.

I removed the upper bolt, rotated the shock forward, and noticed it had a bias to the right side of the rocker link. It was cocked and not straight.

I removed the lower bolt and removed the shock body/hose/brain

The lower mount surfaces were painted and the paint on the top part of one side of the mount was gone (chipped away) and the lower part was still painted. My guess at the thickness difference was about .020" or five sheets of paper.

I removed all the paint on the mounting surfaces, added zero grease, assembled.
    The shock now sits straight in the mounts, and 10 rides later, still no sound.

FYI

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

main sources

I've been riding Spec full suspension bikes for years. the creak is not a bug - it's a feature

what often was the source:
    1. chainstay pivots
    2. horst-link pivot, maily on the right side
    3. saddle screw/mount
    4. shock pivots
    5. cables, maily the one going from the bar to the frame - clicking on the frame
    6. seatpost
    7. headset - upper and lower bearing can creak like nothing else after a wet ride
    8. something new/else. right now I'm searching - I've got a new sound on my bike..
    SJ FSR Expert 08
    Tarmac Expert 09

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

SJ noise issue

REAT TRIANGLE BEARINGS. Factory lube is poor. Open them and you will see for yourself.

mtbr member
    I have found the creaking from pedaling hard uphills to come from the pivots of the rear shock on my stumpy. For some reason, it seems Specialized bolts in the shock pivot never stay tight, I have to retighten all mine at least once a month, if not more. Also, the rear derailleur has been a problem coming loose.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Fixed on my bike after removing and replacing the upper shock pivot bolt. Wish I didn't take everything else apart to find out it was only this 10 sec fix.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Precab
    REAT TRIANGLE BEARINGS. Factory lube is poor. Open them and you will see for yourself.
    BUMP!

I had a creaking noise coming from the rear triangle/pivots that was driving me nuts!

Let me just start off by saying that I blew the right bearing only after about 10 months of typical trail riding (I live in South FL for crying out loud). There was alot of play in the right pivot (the one just under the seat) when you slightly lift the rear end of the bike up and down - FYI: that's NOT normal! LBS replaced it and all was good.

Just last month, it appears I blew the left bearing (exact same deal). Only this time, there very little play in the pivot, but I saw the plastic bearing cover torn apart - FYI: that's NOT normal either! Since there wasn't much play, I didn't suspect the pivot bearing at first so I lubed just about every damn nut, bolt and pivot of the rear triangle, rocker arms and rear shock. Finally, I took a paper towel and "flossed" the pivots to clean out any dirt/debris and voila, the broken bearing cover popped out, not to mention the pivot was filthy due to the grease and dirt jammed in there.

Not sure what's up with these Specialized sealed bearings, but they SUCK! I imagine they are proprietary so we have no choice... I had a Giant VT for 3 years and never had this issue.

I also did the temporary iPod fix, but knew I would ultimately pay a higher price if the real problem wasn't addressed soon... (lol) I don't even want to know how much a new rear triangle would set me back.

Hope this helps some people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I posted a pic of the crappy bearings. As you can see, one of them was basically torn to shreds. Anyway, while replacing the left bearing the mechanic checked out the right one again and had to replace it as well. You can see that it was starting to show signs of wear - but that's probably b/c the mechanic didn't replace them together as a pair the first time. Uneven wear will just accelerate the process.

Again, check these every now and then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd been retightening the upper shock pivot bolt about once a month since I owned mine. Last night I noticed some play in both my bearing at the top of the chain stays. Took it into the shop today and my definition of "a little bit of play" turned out to be "a lot of play" as both bearings were completely shot. The mechanic looked at me and said he'd never seen that happen, especially on a six month old bike.

I do ride 3-4 days a week, 2-3 hours at a time, though. In widely varying (pacific northwest) conditions. Shop didn't have a set of bearings on hand, so they actually took them off of sample of the rear linkage they had in the shop. Just took it for a little night spin and all of the creaking is gone. My headset was also loose, apparently. So really, I'm looking at 3 possible causes of the creak.

Both of my bearings looked like the one in the pic above. The one on the right, that is.

Where can you get burlier bearings than what Spec has? What size are those bearings?

mtbr member

bump -- my creak is fixed now

I had an 07 Stumpy Comp that started creaking a couple of weeks ago. I went through all the typical creak sites, even noticing the the port spokes on the rear were much looser that the starboard side. I eventually gave up and took it to my Spec LBS. They went through everything again, with no luck. By this process of elimination, they started looking for frame integrity issues. They found a crack in the bottom bracket shell and Spec warranteed the frame. The bike was rebuilt on the new frame yesterday. Voila, no creak no more. Only one part was defective - the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie
    I posted a pic of the crappy bearings. As you can see, one of them was basically torn to shreds. Anyway, while replacing the left bearing the mechanic checked out the right one again and had to replace it as well. You can see that it was starting to show signs of wear - but that's probably b/c the mechanic didn't replace them together as a pair the first time. Uneven wear will just accelerate the process.

took my bike in yesterday to get the brain repleaced and my bike had been creeking, they took the rear apart and it looked like this on both sides, they actually have to replace the rocker links, because they can't get the bearing races out.
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've got an 07 stumpy and it creaks like hell. Last time tightening the seat post helped. Got to do some tuning tonight so I'll see if that works again.

aka dan51

I did the same thing on my Stump, but it happened on the third ride. Took a few rides to notice it after I stopped to see what was creaking. Bearings were completely destroyed.
    I also had a creak coming from the main bearing by the cranks. Just needed to tighten it up.
    I eventually replaced the bike with a Mojo and could not be happier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    May 2006

I can atest to the bearing issue as well. I bought the 08 pro frame only, and in June (the night before a race) I noticed alot of play in the rocker bearings. After disasembling found both bearigns were shot. Since I was 4 hours from home I race it that way. Took it into the LBS and they ordered complete new set of bearings for all the pivots. After I removed the rockers and removing the races and found the holes were ovaled. At this point they ordered a new set of rockers as well. All went well for the rest of the year. In my winter clean and lube I found that the same bearings were starting to do the same thing again. So back to the LBS and after they talked to a Spec rep they were told to order the ORANGE seal bearings. This was because the BLACK seal ones use what is called a retainer to keep the balls spred apart. The new ORANGE seal unit are supposed to be a full compliment of balls i.e. no retainer all balls. I am going there in a few minutes to see if they have come in yet and will post what I offically find out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast