mtbr member
    Feb 2004

08 Specialized Stumpjumpers?

Any thoughts on the 08 Stumpjumpers? I am looking at at a FSR Pro. I know the rear shox and frame are new / new design. I like the ride and am considering a purchase in the near future. Any experiences / thoughts shared would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Ride hard and ride long!

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Copied some of this over from a thread about 07 vs 08. I've ridden the demo expert with the same brain shock and it's a big improvement over the Fox brain shock that came on my 07 Expert. Super smooth shock and a quicker feeling bike than my 07.

A good friend has been riding an 08 Pro and has nothing but good things to say about it. He is a shop owner and has had tons of bikes over the years, and he could ride anything including bikes from several other brands that he carries. Says it's the best all-rounder he's owned - including comparisons to some high-end custom builders. To be fair he says he misses the bottomless travel of his Prophet on some sections, but the SJ is a better bike for all other sections.

I have ridden the 08s and don't find there to be any negative differences. Lighter weight, weight lower in the frame, the same great horst link, the 08 shocks are supposed to correct any shock issues from 07.

mtbr member
    Please search as we have a lot of posts covering this. Maybe we need a moderator in here at this point...

In any case, take a look at the "geometry beware" thread along with general searching.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I have the Elite and absolutely LOVE that bike. I've owned a plethora of bikes and this one is definitely one of my favorites!

Texan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H
    OK, thanks! Or something.

The moderator comment is that it would be useful to consolidate all these "what's your opinion on the 08 Stumpy FSR" or "where's a review?" and "how did it change?" threads into one large thread, and close these before too much energy is spent on them. This keeps useful information from being scattered about. Maybe a sticky could be useful in this case (oh boy, here comes another Wiki reference, right?)...

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    OK, thanks! Or something.

The moderator comment is that it would be useful to consolidate all these "what's your opinion on the 08 Stumpy FSR" or "where's a review?" and "how did it change?" threads into one large thread, and close these before too much energy is spent on them. This keeps useful information from being scattered about. Maybe a sticky could be useful in this case (oh boy, here comes another Wiki reference, right?)...

No, the moderator comment you posted was a blantant attempt for you to get moderator status here.

Example: "Please search as we have a lot of posts covering this. Maybe we need a moderator in here at this point..."

The 3 periods after that remark suggests you want that posistion. The question is why and thats obvivous. You relate being a mod with having power and control. Thats easy to see since the only time you post is here on the Speshy forum and your only posts are either correcting people, or telling them what to do!

Another example. I apologized to you on another thread and you ignored it, and me! I dont know what country your from, but I am from Texas and ignoring a Texans apology is an insult!

I think you an ok guy with alot of knowledge. The problem is, a new guy asked a question that was special to him, and to him alone, and you threw him aside like trash while trying to upgrade your own ego. Thats no way help new guys and help grow the forum and in case your wondering, I have administrator and moderator experiance since the rolling script days.

Now, can we be cool now?

Peace?

mtbr member
    Woah there bud. PM sent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I agree with Gary H, it's messed up to just throw out his question. Sometimes an old thread is an old thread, and some new owner, or rider might of missed it the first time and want to share info on the 08 Stumpjumpers. It's just a question and something to talk about. I missed the topic the first time so new info would be great.

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Ninja
    I agree with Gary H, it's messed up to just throw out his question. Sometimes an old thread is an old thread, and some new owner, or rider might of missed it the first time and want to share info on the 08 Stumpjumpers. It's just a question and something to talk about. I missed the topic the first time so new info would be great.
    Dont think he will listen bro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Ninja
    Hence why having reviews as a sticky would be useful when there's a major model change. However, to be honest, this site does have a whole review section so riders could simply post there and people with questions can then search. Very easy. "Sometimes an old thread is an old thread" doesn't make much sense, when the bike hasn't been out very long so how could any thread on it be very old?

Texan
    Nevermind
    Last edited by Gary H; 11-28-2007 at 02:23 AM.

mtbr member
    I was checking out SJers at Bike Source.The 08 frame sizing is different then 07.The 2008 with the new seatubes are seem smaller in the top tube then the 2007.If you had a medium frame before you probably want to go up to a large for a 2008.Check it out at your LBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey Deanmachine i think youll find that's the other way round, for your information the
    07 M had 585mm top tube 554mm (actual)
    whilst the
    08 M has 590mm " " 574mm "

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There been so many mixed reviews on this site about the 2008 Stupjumper. I upgraded my 2006 S-works to the 2008 SJ Pro M5 and couldn't be happier. The brain shock work much quicker then the old one and the bike on long climbs is great. I find it very responese in tight single tracks. When upgrading I purchased the frame and transfer every thing from the 2006 S works, and the only problem was that on the frof the ster tube was to short so I had to upgrade the fork. I put the 2008 Fox Talas because I like the abilty to adjust the front travel. It a great bike!

banned
    Mar 2004
    I swapped out the parts from my 07 FSR Pro to the black 08 FSR Pro frameset. I think that both years handled very well. Didn't really notice the geometry change except that the 08 doesn't seem to squat as much. The 08 AFR is an improvement over the 07 in that it is much smoother and seamless in the engagment of the BRAIN.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leggit
    Hey Deanmachine i think youll find that's the other way round, for your information the
    07 M had 585mm top tube 554mm (actual)
    whilst the
    08 M has 590mm " " 574mm "

Your right .It was about a month ago when I tried all the different years and sizes.The thing is there was a big difference in feel.