mtbr member
    Oct 2007

08 SJ Comp HT--how much of a hit can it reasonably take?

Okay, I'm one of these guys that's really cautious and doesn't want to "hurt" my bike at all, but whose riding skill is growing and I want to start pushing it harder.

The bike: 2008 Stumpjumper HT Comp

So my question is, how much of a square bump is it realistic to expect this bike to take? Specifically, I'm starting to get reasonably good at bunny hopping (both wheels off the ground) and practicing by attempting to jump both wheels up onto a curb (approaching perpendicular to the curb, bunny hop on the approach, attempt to land both wheels up on the curb--approx 6-7" height).

The problem is, as I'm doing this, more often than not, I'm not quite clearing the curb with the rear wheel and thus the rear tire is hitting right about the edge of the curb, which is a nice square shock to the rear.

At first I just did it with lower tire inflation (30psi or so) but after I started seeing pitcures of bent rims on hits like this I've upped the inflation to 40ish to protect the rims. But now it's a pretty hard bump to the rear.

Am I worrying too much? One would kind of assume that a $1500 hardtail could take these hits with no problem, but I'd like to know for sure where this rigs limits are before I bust something.

-Dan

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So you think the rear rim of the bike is stronger than the frame?? Stock rear rims as well??

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm not sure I understand the question. It seems you're implying that a rim (yes, they're the stock rims) would bend far before the frame. If that's the case, I think that's good news (SJ frames being very expensive and a replacement rim being quite a bit cheaper). So acknowledging that you appear to be saying the rim would be the weak point, and that I'd rather not damage a rim if possible, the question still remains: is a square shock (edge of a curb) to a rear wheel, going perhaps 5-7 mph, likely to damage the rim, given around a 40psi inflation on the tire?

The Other Dude
    This is going to sound totally off the wall, but my buddy rides an 08 Stumpy Comp Hardtail, he swapped the rims to DT hubs laced to mavic 819 rims, other than that the bike is stock. He is a GREAT rider and very technically skilled, he usually is in the top 5 of expert class in the local races.

We went down to snowshoe for weekend, he want to ride XC while i went for the DH stuff. He wanted to do the DH stuff in his spandex on his hardtail just to see if he could do it. Well he did, every freakin run in snowshoe he RODE, never got off the bike once, I was amazed as well as many other DH guys on big bikes and full body armor. Some stuff he was slow on, but he moved VERY well for being on that bike. Anywho, through all the rocks, ladders, small drops and jumps the bike seemed to hold up just great......then on an XC ride a week later he noticed a crack in the rear chain stay......i am guessing that is from the DH runs on the bike, not the xc stuff, lol.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Members who have read this thread: 0