mtbr member
    Jul 2007

08 SHIMANO XT Rear Derailleur?

I'm looking to upgrade the rear derailleur on my 07 Specialized Rockhopper with a 2008 XT. I have already upgraded the shifters with some Alivio model SL-MC20. I see there are a few modles to choose from. Can any one point me in the right direction on which one to go with?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    FYI - the key to shifting is in the shifters, as they control the actual motion. Alivio is bottom-line Shimano stuff, while XT is second only to XTR. Your set-up is kinda mismatched there...

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Thatís quite a mismatched set up youíve got there, but I would firstly get some new shifters such as Shimano LX cos they are good and in my opinion its not really worth getting Deore shifters cos they are too close in performance to Alivio.

If you insist on a rear derailleur then I would go with the Shadow XT, but that is slightly harder to set up than the standard XT, it really depends if you or the dealer is good at setting up shadow rear derailleur cos I now have 2 of them and Iíve ended up setting both of them up myself cos the dealer either couldnít be bothered or donít know how to do it, if not just get the standard XT long cage.

Why donít you take your bike to the dealer and get them to see which one is better, I think all the XT`s are the same price so that doesnít matter.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So what is the model number of the standard XT Derailleur? And would the standard XT work better with the Alivio SL-MC20 rapid fire shifters I just put on my bike? Or would you recomend me replace the Alivio derailleur I have now with something else?

mtbr member
    the xt would work, but then you're shifters are still low end compared to the der. its kinda like putting high performance tires on a mazda 3 or something. Not that it's bad, and it will improve the handling, but at that performance level and 1,000$ a tire, it's not worth it. Upgrade your shifters to LX, rd to XT, and you'll be set. If you're running 8sp, which I assume you are, you will have to upgrade both the chain AND cassette at the same time, which obviously gets costly. Or see if anyone still has 8sp stuff lying around...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    the xt would work, but then you're shifters are still low end compared to the der. its kinda like putting high performance tires on a mazda 3 or something. Not that it's bad, and it will improve the handling, but at that performance level and 1,000$ a tire, it's not worth it. Upgrade your shifters to LX, rd to XT, and you'll be set. If you're running 8sp, which I assume you are, you will have to upgrade both the chain AND cassette at the same time, which obviously gets costly. Or see if anyone still has 8sp stuff lying around...

What makes one shifter better than another?

mtbr member
    internals. for example, xtr uses bearings versus just basic bushings in xt. small things like that raise the price and quality, but you can def. feel the difference. trust me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How would this derailleur match up with what I have? Shimano LX RD-M580

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It all adds up to perfection. I started with Shimano and went up the ladder - Alvio all the way to XTR. The issue w/ LX componentry and lower is durability. They may shift fine initially but there pivots / bushings will wear a lot faster than better componentry. If I could do it all over again i'd start w/ XTR shifters and teflon cables then replace the derailleurs as they wore. I prefer LX / XT cranksets for durability and chain ring sizing.