mtbr member
    Dec 2004

08 S-Works Stumpjumer which wheels??

Just got the news my 2008 S-Works Stumpjumper will be in this week. I am a little concern of the Roval Wheels that come on the bike. In Mountain Bike Action they stated during there test they bent one. Should I switch to Mavic SLR wheels which are 95 grams more? I did contact Specialized and they stated the wheels are fully under warrenty. I would just hate to go through the hassel. Anybody else got some time on these wheels?

mtbr member
    If I could afford that bike, I would ride the hell out of those wheels and probably have a second set available. I have Crossmax SL wheels, and as much as I like them I am not sure I would get another set due to part expense and availability (with the pressures I run, I will probably consider rims as "consumable"). So, I would probably do something with I9 (I love straight pull), Hope, or King hubs and possibly some sort of tubeless rim.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's the weakest spec on the bike. A bit premature on their behalf from the reviews. I guess if you get them and run them you can report here. My thoughts match yours.

The Other Dude
    I actually swapped the DT's out on my 08 Stumpy Carbon Pro for the Rovals........i have been riding the heck out of my Traversee wheelset and the are going strong, i hope the XC rovals will do the same for my Stumpy, so far they are working out great.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Jut8 how do you like the Carbon Pro? Do you feel you made the right decision with going with the Stumpjumper verses the Trek?

The Other Dude
    So far yes.....i test road the fuel EX8 vs. an 08 Stumpy Expert and the choice was pretty simple at that point, the fuel was the better bike in the price range i thought hands down.

I wanted either the Fuel EX 9.0 or the Stumpy Carbon Pro, i actually put money down on the 9.0 after the test ride, then the dealer got a Pro Carbon Stumpy in and told me to take it out on the trail for one last test....wow am i glad i got to test ride it! Plus, the deal i was offered i just couldnt pass up! It feels like a completely different bike! The fork is amazing and the bike is just a blast to ride, i cant believe how light it is on the scale, and the bike actually feels ever lighter when riding. I swapped some stuff around on it (wheels, went tubeless, and thomson masterpiece) and its down to 24.73lbs ready to ride with my candy ti pedals. Dont get me wrong, the Fuel EX's are great, and i would still love to own one, but i think i was in a win-win situation if you know what i mean.

Now the bike i am excited for is the Remedy.....a 6" travel bike with that new suspension design is going to be sweet.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im thinking of going for the new XTR wheelset for my epic, they're getting good reviews