Bikehard

08 Rockhopper Comp Disc - several ???

I bought a 08 Rockhopper Comp Disc for the wife and this things shifts very rough. I am thinking of upgrading the cassette to a 9 speed as well putting on a SRAM x7 rear deraillure and X7 Triggers.

What all do i need other than the above to complete this? Will a 9 speed cassette fit on the stock rear hub?

mtbr member
    If you bought the bike at a local bike shop I would be bringing it back to them and make them correct the rough shifting. I have an 2005 rockhopper comp and it always shifted just fine. My 2008 stumpjumper fsr comp shifts differently, but I think both shift fairly smooth and I'm happy with both.

Bikehard
    well from what i was told it was due to the sram pg 830 cassette that was on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I also have a 08 Rockhopper Comp disc and it shifts very smoothly. It shifts rough even after oiling the chain??

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are you shifting while pedaling at a slow cadence and going uphill? Fast cadence with low pedal resistance gives the smoothest shifts. It may be an adjustment problem, but it sounds like you're getting into the gear u need to be in, only it's just abrupt and loud, and sounds damaging which it probably is. Don't wait till slow down to a crawl before you shift. If I'm wrong disregard this post, I figured this could be a possibility.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Oh and im not sure about the cassette being culprit. Sounds funny since expensive cassettes only give strength and weight reduction. All the cassettes should follow the same dimensions and tolerances thus giving the same shifting characteristics. I've never worked in the bike industry so dont quote me on this.

Weekend Warrior
    In have an 08 Rockhopper. It came with the PG830 cassette which wore out after around 400 miles or so. It always shifted just fine. Now I got a PG850 cassette in there and it works great as well. You might wanna have the dérailleur adjusted as it is a bottom of the line dérailleur. Once mine is done I'm going for a Deore LX.

If you want to swap to 9-speed, you need a new rear shifter, possibly a new front one to match the rear, a new cassette, a new chain and a new dérailleur. The old one might work, but why save there now. The new cassette will just slide right on. Make sure everything is set up correctly. I think the dérailleur is top pull, I'd prefer going for the bottom pull to match the front up/down shift.