Texan

08 FSRXC comp and fork travel?

I know the bike comes from the factory with a 100mm fork. To make a long story short, I put my Reba on the FSRXC and its set at 85mm. A couple of guys at the shop suggested I leave it at 85mm. Any thoughts?

Frame is large.

Thanks.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCGeo...jsp?spid=33102

mtbr member
    I tend to prefer the fork to be the same or longer in travel. The reason why is I use a lot of sag and want fast high speed compression; this combination gives me a bike that is practically desperate to hold traction no matter what I do. Case in point, I was at a race this weekend that was stupid muddy with insane cross-winds and rain. When I was "jumping" over the log water bars, I would force the front wheel down as soon as possible so it would gain grip and not drift sideways with the crosswind (blade spokes make this worse). As I am 230lbs, the back wheel isn't so much an issue, not to mention having steering and braking ASAP makes it easier to keep the chassis tracking straight.

The other issue is I prefer a fairly tall front end and keep the grips at or just above the saddle in height. This is more comfortable for me, and reducing the axle-to-crown height (either by fork adjustment or replacement with a different model) rotates me forward too much.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    I tend to prefer the fork to be the same or longer in travel. The reason why is I use a lot of sag and want fast high speed compression; this combination gives me a bike that is practically desperate to hold traction no matter what I do. Case in point, I was at a race this weekend that was stupid muddy with insane cross-winds and rain. When I was "jumping" over the log water bars, I would force the front wheel down as soon as possible so it would gain grip and not drift sideways with the crosswind (blade spokes make this worse). As I am 230lbs, the back wheel isn't so much an issue, not to mention having steering and braking ASAP makes it easier to keep the chassis tracking straight.

The other issue is I prefer a fairly tall front end and keep the grips at or just above the saddle in height. This is more comfortable for me, and reducing the axle-to-crown height (either by fork adjustment or replacement with a different model) rotates me forward too much.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i cant imagine doing the downhills i do here with my fork at 85 mm, i find my xc low enough at 100mm as it is, bump that fork up dude!!!

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    If the XC is anything like the SJ, then I would run it with the fork at 100, as designed. I had an SJ with a Talas fork that adjusted from 100-120-140. Used the 100 for longer climbs and would hit the 140 for long downhills, but the best overall handling by far was at 120 (what the bike is really designed for). At 120mm the bike tracked, climbed and descended very well - very well balanced with the rear suspension.

Running a 100mm travel bike with an 85mm fork all the time would steepen up the steering and push your weight forward a bit. Not as balanced witht the rear suspension travel.

Seach for instructions to remove the spacer from the air side. Pretty straight forward and you don't have to pull the fork apart - let out air, loosen bottom nut and remove top cap and pull the spacer out. Detailed instructions on 29er forum - takes around 15 minutes.