Thread: 08 Fsr comp

mtbr member

08 Fsr comp

I have a kenda nevegal 2.35 on the rear of my bike and its hitting the front derailer in certain corners or if the air pressure gets alittle low. I knew it was to big when i put it on but it was free. Im at the point now where i need to replace it. What is the max size that i can or should go with ? Oh, and everything is stock on the bike including the dt swiss 420sl wheels

Thanks
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr comp
    1998 Specialized Stumpjumper S2(Metal Matrix)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I had an 08 Stumpy FSR that I ran a captian 2.2 on just fine. However, mine was a medium frame and my wife had a small frame and it rubbed.

mtbr member
    Crimecrusher i was in my lbs yesterday and that is the tire i ended up buying. They couldnt give me a max size i could run, just the factory size. My bike is a medium as well, i will see how it works out this weekend.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    2.1 is the safest max size to run in the rear. You might get lucky depending on tire brand, but more times than not anything larger will rub a dub dub.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The max width I was able to run on my 2008 stumpy fsr was 2.2. 2.1 was way too skinny on the back for me. My frame is XL, with American Classic MTB wheelset.

Anything bigger than 2.2 will hit the front deli.

mtbr member
    I rode on the captain 2.2 this weekend and it didnt rub once and we rode everything from rocks, roots, hard corners, and some drops. I was impressed with the new tire. It shed the mud and didnt slide on the wet leaves whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah I love the captains. I run captain control 2.2 in front and back. Ive tried nevegals, larsens, diesels, excavators, ignitors, & purgatorys. And I always seem to go back to the captains. They are by far the best tire out their for my riding area (Laramie Range & Snowies). Their all around a great tire, even in the spring time they work good too. I wonder how the new SW Captains are, i think their a different compound? I tried the Armadillo version and it was great but too heavy and went back to the control version.