mtbr member
    Aug 2008

08' Epic Brain Leak

I just got an Epic and I am losing about 10 lbs of pressure per hour on some slightly technical single track. This is my first full suspension but I know this isn't right. Anyone else experience this?

While I am at it, it appears the manual I got is just a default specialized one with out the graphs for shock setup. I am running 145 in the rear and I am 195, sag test is in correct position with 1 turn out from full firm on Brain and 2 turns out on rebound from firm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    David,

Try tightening the valve core slightly. If this doesn't solve it there may be a cut in an o-ring somewhere. Your shop will be able to get you a replacement overnighted.

You should be running 110-115 psi in the shock.

I ususally recommend 3 click from full firm in the brain, but this is rider preference.

Rebound should be ~7 clicks from full slow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That is the pressure I thought as well from the video but my buddy said he ran 160 so I put it near that and set sag. Woot, excited to try this again tomorrow, the rear hasn't gotten dialed the way I want and that must be why.

Thanks for the advice, will tighten that if possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by David Joor
    I just got an Epic and I am losing about 10 lbs of pressure per hour on some slightly technical single track. This is my first full suspension but I know this isn't right. Anyone else experience this?

While I am at it, it appears the manual I got is just a default specialized one with out the graphs for shock setup. I am running 145 in the rear and I am 195, sag test is in correct position with 1 turn out from full firm on Brain and 2 turns out on rebound from firm.
    are you accounting for the +/-10psi that fills the pump chamber when you connect?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Funny you mention that, because I figured that out after testing it back to back. However the shock finally screwed up. Since I got it, it would always make metal to metal noise when getting worked hard, no matter the setting. On my last right going over even little bumps on the concrete ride in it would what seemed to me be a metal to metal on the rebound. I got to the trail and found one bump that I tested on and no matter what setting I was on (rebound, or brain) it would make the metal to metal slap. Then all of a sudden the brain just quit being adjustable. I could put it all the way soft and it would still ride the same as all the way firm. It was stuck on a setting so I just took it back to the shop to get it warranty work on it.