Thread: 08 BigHit FSR I

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

08 BigHit FSR I

I'm hoping within the next month I will be buying a new bike. I'm thinking about a BigHit FSR I. What do you think of the bike? How does it ride and feel? Are there any components on the bike that have a tendency to break? Any other info would be great. I will use the Bike at Diablo Freeride park. It will be used for dh, dj,freeride, and urban freeride. I'm 5' 9" and weigh about 120.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i had a big hit 2 and that was what i was on a diablo all last year, but i sold it an am now riding my enduro pro. well, untill i tore my ankle up on the US open weekend.

big hits are popular bikes there, but i am easily more comfortable with the enduro. an sx trail would be awesome. a lot of kids had them there last year. and from what i see of the new sx trails (yuk!) i might be picking one up this season. i need to sell my extra enduro first though.

as for the compnents on the big hit, the fork has sub par travel quality and is pretty heavy. the cranks are going to be problematic. they seem to fall off big hits a lot. but that's just sram crap. the shifters are junk, but they are pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. rims are going to be alex rims, so they aren't likely to last long.

don't get me wrong, the big hit is a great bike for getting people into the sport. it opens doors to going beyond that, but i'm thinking that you can do better for a bike to take to diablo. people are tearing that park up on 6" bikes just fine. remember that quality is better than quantity with suspension travel. that said, if the big hit is what fits your budget, it is hard to go wrong. beat it for a season and then sell it like i did.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If thats your budget thats cool, but maybe keep an eye out on ebay or something for a demo or something? a friend of mine got his loads cheap and its in great nick!
    Ride hard or go home!

08 Specialized Myka Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks. Since I'm only 14 I cant spend more then 2,100. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to which bike I should get. I would like to go with a specialized or trek because thats what i trust the most and my lbs sells those brands.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I know the feeling, I'm 17 and owe my parents a lot at the moment Are you from the US or Aus? Because i know that Demo's generally go on ebay for about $2000 and bighits for quite a bit less over here and you could check it out? just a thought
    Ride hard or go home!

08 Specialized Myka Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemegs
    I know the feeling, I'm 17 and owe my parents a lot at the moment Are you from the US or Aus? Because i know that Demo's generally go on ebay for about $2000 and bighits for quite a bit less over here and you could check it out? just a thought

I looked and some are really good prices for the demo's. I'm from the U.S.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    wow, could you imagine the travel costs to get to diablo from aus? that would be insane!

anyway, seems like you've at least got a realistic budget. too many kids your age are stuck with like 500 bucks and then their parents don't understand when they need to continue to spend money after buying the 500 bike.

you're 14? how tall and what weight? and how much do you expect to grow in the next year or two?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    wow, could you imagine the travel costs to get to diablo from aus? that would be insane!

anyway, seems like you've at least got a realistic budget. too many kids your age are stuck with like 500 bucks and then their parents don't understand when they need to continue to spend money after buying the 500 bike.

you're 14? how tall and what weight? and how much do you expect to grow in the next year or two?
    I'm about 5' 9" and weigh about 120 lbs. My dads about 6' 1" or 6' 2" so I guess 3 or 4 more inches. I orginally had 700 dollars but I just graduated 8th grade so I got about 500 dollars already plus whatever I will get from my relatives at my party.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    sorry man, i've got nothing that would help you out. you're as tall as i am, damn kids are growing too fast these days...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    sorry man, i've got nothing that would help you out. you're as tall as i am, damn kids are growing too fast these days...
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    no worries there. i'll check on the SX trail at the shop if you're interested. might be an option. it's been sitting a long time.

Members who have read this thread: 0