Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

'07Stumpy comp hardtail?

Thinking about getting a '07 stumpjumper comp hardtail anybody got one or any good info? I ride a 5 Spot and recently broke my old hardtail. I still like riding hardtails. I was thinking about building a ti but I can get a really good deal on a Stumpy and the wifey would probably dump my ass if a spent $$$$$ on another bike.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a silver 07 Stumpy HT comp a few weeks ago. My other bike is an 05 Stumpy FSR expert 120 completely upgraded but I found it just wasn't really quick and agile so I wanted another bike. I hadn't ridden a hard tail in 6 years and man have I been missing out. Showroom stock it was around 24 1/2 lbs. I was pleasantly surprised with with X.7 shifters and X.9 derail. My other bike is all X.0 and I wasn't sure I'd be happy with it but it shifts quick and solid. Handling is so nice, you can slam this bike into the corners and it rails. I'm still getting used to the beating on the backside without FSR but bottom line this bike is more fun to ride than my FSR. As usual upgradeitus has already set in and since we got snow here in Oklahoma the timing was perfect. Slapped a pair of 07 Crossmax ST's and Schwalbe UST rubber on it. King headset on the counter awaiting install. Juicy 5's not quite broken in yet but they seem pretty good. Paid $1500 and am satisfied.

wandering lost
    Nov 2006
    Is it anodized silver? Do you happen to know if the black is ano also? No nearby shop here so can't check it out myself. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yup it is ano silver see atachments. I was pretty torn between the black or silver because my FSR is black ano but I gotta say I like the silver better. To answer ur question the black is ano.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Just something to add for those that may be interested. Weight difference between the stock wheels, fast trac tires, and stock cassete and 07 Crossmax ST's with a 2.35 nobby nic front/2.35 racing ralph rear both UST and an XT cassette came in as 1/3 lb less with the upgrade.
    Also try using this link for price matching stateside

http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/pro...-_ST_Disc.html

got my wheels for about $540 ish compared to what everybody wants which is like $750

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I picked up a 2007 Stumpjumper Expert HT a few months ago. I also have a 2005 Stumpjumper Expert FSR 120. I hadn't ridden a hardtail in quite a long time and so far I'm very happy with my purchase. I've swapped out the stock post/saddle for RaceFace NextSL/Selle Italia SLR, other wise the bike is still stock. I'll swap out the stock stem/bars next and I'll likely get some lighter wheels for the spring/summer season and keep the original wheels for slicker conditions.

mtbr member
    tapsa, I'm jealous of your bike. I wanted an expert HT but they don't sell them in the USA. I though about driving to Canada to get one but settled for a comp instead. Sweet ride!

I like Chips

Nice ride

Tapsa-- thats beauty of a bike.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Thanks for the compliments. I tried to give it a bit of a rinse before hauling it into my office for the photo op, but my washing skills are on par with my riding skills. Winter in Ontario is not condusive to long wash sessions out in the driveway

mtbr member
    Hey Tapsa, mind me asking what you paid for her?

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I paid approx $2200 Canadian before taxes at my LBS for the bike. That would be something in the range of $1850 USD.

mtbr member
    Thats a wicked good price for that bike. If they sold the expert down here in the US I would have gladly paid it. Plus you get the sweet looking shiny frame. Are you finding out like I did that the HT is just more fun to ride?

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I had been riding mostly road for the last 10-15 years until I picked up the FSR Stumpie a few years ago. I like the FSR bike, but the responsiveness of the bike left me looking for more. It is a fun bike for casual trail riding and will handle fairly technical terrain. However, my need for speed has got me involved in some "competitive" XC stuff and I wanted to get a bike more suited for the short 2-3 hour races on trails in this area. I was afraid that the Epic may be too similar to the Stumpie FSR and it was also a lot more money than the HT. Now that I've had the HT for a bit, I have not ridden the FSR since. I will take the FSR on my holidays to Arizona in March and also ride it here when I go out on casual rides.

The way I see it, the two Stumpies differ in their philosophies - the FSR is like a grand touring car to cover distance in comfort and speed whereas the HT is more like a purebred sportscar that sacrifices comfort for the benefit of speed and unadulterated driving (riding in this case) enjoyment.

mtbr member
    Dude, you said it perfectly. My expert FSR is great for blasting down a trail and going down, over, and through stuff it shouldn't, where as the HT takes more of a focused approach and leaves you feeling more connected to the bike. I guess it brings me back to when I first started mtn biking as a teenager when it was more about getting out and ridding than worrying about a bazzilion inches of fork and shock travel. Enjoy it man, happy riding!
    2005 Stumpy FSR Expert 120
    2007 Stumpy Comp HT

mtbr member
    I bought a comp this week. Very fun bike, tapsa nailed the difference between my 5 spot and this stumpy HT.Fast way fun, restraining myself agaianst upgraditis. I have XOs on the spot the X7 shifters and X9 rears work really well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i have an 06 HT and boy do i LOVE it! The only problem i came across was that the finish tends to chip easily I've already got more than my fair share of chips GRRR!

mtbr member
    Movingmountain, did you get the black or the silver? If you got the black share some pics if you got em.
    2007 Stumpy Comp HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I picked up an 07 Stumpy back in November and I love it. I hurt my tail bone riding it with it two weeks ago. I'd recommend a nicer seat if you are going to be riding it a really long time if you are used to a FS bike. I'd say better tires too. That is my next purchase after some new biking shorts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapsa
    I had been riding mostly road for the last 10-15 years until I picked up the FSR Stumpie a few years ago. I like the FSR bike, but the responsiveness of the bike left me looking for more. It is a fun bike for casual trail riding and will handle fairly technical terrain. However, my need for speed has got me involved in some "competitive" XC stuff and I wanted to get a bike more suited for the short 2-3 hour races on trails in this area. I was afraid that the Epic may be too similar to the Stumpie FSR and it was also a lot more money than the HT. Now that I've had the HT for a bit, I have not ridden the FSR since. I will take the FSR on my holidays to Arizona in March and also ride it here when I go out on casual rides.

The way I see it, the two Stumpies differ in their philosophies - the FSR is like a grand touring car to cover distance in comfort and speed whereas the HT is more like a purebred sportscar that sacrifices comfort for the benefit of speed and unadulterated driving (riding in this case) enjoyment.
    I completely agree. I took out my FSRxc today after strictly riding my Stumpy HT for two months. It was sheer terror climbing those steeps. I missed my HT.

mtbr member
    I got a black one, already chipped the top tube fooling around with stem height & shifter hit top tube putiing it in the back of my truck, I should of rotated the shifters up, duh.Seemed to chip pretty easy.I'll leave it stock for awhile, the only thing I changed was the pedals, dealer threw in some black candies for nothing. I also put WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 on the front. The juicy 5s work pretty well I am used to using big roter Louises on spot. I forgot how super fast climbing and single track are on a hard tail. It 's pretty fun hammering up trails again on a lighter bike. I have to pick better lines on rocky chutes and such where as my Spot I just point and go.
    Last edited by movingmountain; 01-30-2007 at 06:38 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The SJ comp HT does look sweet. Does anyone know if the "Blue" version is the same color as the "Blue" SJ FSR Elite? I ask because the colors look quite different on the website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Love my '03 M5 HT - what's improved with the new ones?

Just curious what's mo better on these newer M5 hardtails? Is it just the wishbone rear end or are they a bunch lighter? FYI my M5 (size large) frame weighed 1520g with a cane creek headset, seatclamp, and water bottle bolts when I built it up in '05 (I bought in used from the MTBR classifieds)
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    rogrider, what is the weight of your stumperjumper comp? it looks really light, and still rideable.

mtbr member
    Hi KC.K, I did weigh it a few months ago and as I recall it was like 23 3/4 lbs. Not super light but durable enough for my 210 lbs. I'm sure it would be a pound lighter if I hadn't gone all UST but I'll pay for the weight with the lack of flats. Ride on!
    2007 Stumpy Comp HT

mtbr member

Here's a blue one

Here's my blue Stumpy. Also, if you want some relief for you backside, try a Thudbuster seatpost. I can't ride without it now. Of course it doesn't do much on standing decents, but hammering on the flats and climbing rough stuff in the saddle, it does a great job. It'll feel real weird the first 10 minutes, then you'll wonder how you rode without it. Other than that mines is stock. But I have some Industry Nine wheels on order. I'll throw on some Fastrak LK Pro tires which will drop the weight by 1.5-2 lbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast