Ancient Winged Rider

"07" Stumpy Paint question.....

I own a 2007 Stumpjumper FSR and all of us that own one know the paint on them is crap.
    I have questions:
    Are the Specialized name on the bike a sticker or is it sprayed on?
    If they are stickers can you get them?
    I also know that if you repaint it that I will lose my warranty on it but If I ever wanted to repaint it has anyone ever powder coated and how does it last?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoneyes
    I own a 2007 Stumpjumper FSR and all of us that own one know the paint on them is crap.
    I have questions:
    Are the Specialized name on the bike a sticker or is it sprayed on?
    If they are stickers can you get them?
    I also know that if you repaint it that I will lose my warranty on it but If I ever wanted to repaint it has anyone ever powder coated and how does it last?
    It appears that they are stickers but with some sort of clearcoat over them. Can you get replacements? I have no idea.

Regarding paint, read this thread and look for my posts:
    SX Trail Finally Done!!!!
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Ancient Winged Rider
    Hey thanks , SD if you find anyone with the knowledge about the stickers let me know....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    if you have a look on that well known auction site they have numurous specy stickers on there im led to believe. some are "rub on" whatever that means and can be clearcoated apparently, and some are just normal stickers that are also apparently "jetwash proof" they sell in a range of coulors to may be worth a look.
    anyone bought any of these decals

Ancient Winged Rider
    Ok , I called Specialized USA and asked them about the decals that came with the bike and they said that they sent a small amount to Class Act Painting but it won't be the originals. He told me that with the rash of fake bikes that came out that they do not allow their decals out of the factory. Sucks....
    As far as painting I spoke with the paint shop and for $150 USD it can be powdercoated to any color or for $ 250 USD it can be painted with lacquer paint. Also if you want it clearcoated it is $50 USD more. They also gave me a website with paint colors WWW.Tigerdrylac.com

mtbr member
    Sweet, but you know your warranty will probably be history, right?

As for the stickers, I remember seeing somebody with what's thought to be a fact S-Works aluminum hardtail. Pretty good copy. He got it dirt cheap in China and thought it was the real thing (although many of use wondered why).

Ancient Winged Rider
    No, they said that they are the only paint shop that was authorized by Specialized. The person that I talked to said they were one of the few that painted them until they moved Specialized overseas. She said that they get a lot of bikes cause as she put it " The overseas paint jobs are crap". So it won't void the warranty if you use that paint shop.

mtbr member
    Which shop is this, the one I linked you to? If it is that's cool, it just appeared like you found a different shop. Having an option to get it re-painted is making it easier for me to stick with Specialized on future bikes.

Ancient Winged Rider
    No it's the same shop but this is the paint they use. They gave me this site to check out colors.

Members who have read this thread: 0