Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

07 Stumpy ft. der. question

682 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Squash 
#1 ·
This is for all the FSR der. gurus out there. I have an 07 stumpjumper and the bottom of the front der cage contacts the chain when it is in the smallest chain ring in the front and the lower 4 gears in the back. This is only noticeable when the bike is in the stand. When I am riding, I cannot notice it. This makes sense because the chain line is in a different position when I am riding compared to when it is in the stand. Anyway is this normal? are any other stumpy owners experiencing this too. I would appreciate the feed back.

#2 ·
I have an 07 stumpjumper expert. The front derailer rubs when I use the small chainring and the 5 smallest cogs on the rear freeweel. I only notice it when I ride as I don't have a stand to see what is out of alignment to cause the rubbing. When I stand and apply alot of pressure to the chain, most of the time the rubbing stops. But as soon as I sit it will rub again. Because of this problem, I have gotten used to using the middle chain ring on all but the steepest of climbs. It only happens when using the small chainring.

#4 ·
Cooley, this is mormal for most FS bikes....

when in the stand the shock and suspension are fully extended. When you are on the bike the suspensions sags and the contact disapears. Don't sweat it. It can make adjustments a pain as we learn that no noise is good with hardtails and that's how many of us determine if our adjustments are correct. I have an 05 Stumpy and it does the same thing in the stand, but it is completely silent when riding.

Brainstump! Try taking a link or two out of the chain. Sounds like your chain is a tad too long and is sagging a bit. When you stand and put pressure on the drive train it is tightening the chain up and reducing the rub.

Good Dirt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.