mtbr member
    Sep 2005

07 Stumpy FSR Pro AFR Brain reliability?

Test rode an 08 SJ FSR Expert in a back-to-back comparison on the same trail against my 07 SJ FSR Elite today. Didn't care much for the 08 frame, but I really liked the AFR Brain. I've read all of the AFR shock horror stories here with respect to the Enduro SL and Epic models, but a search of the Spec forum doesn't yield much info regarding the reliability of the AFR on a Stumpy. Any of you owners out there please share our thoughts on this subject. Assuming I can still find one, I'm leaning towards an '07 SJ Pro as a result of my test ride.

Actually, while I'm at it, has anyone compared the Fox Brain on an 07 SJ Expert to the AFR Brain on an 07 SJ Pro? If they are about the same, perhaps I should search for an Expert instead.

ride ride ride
    Apr 2008
    the afr shock on my 08 expert blew after two weeks but was replaced by the lbs immediately. no problem since.
    what's on the 07? Fox?
    I love my 08 SJ ... but to each their own. :cheers:

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My shock on my 07 pro has been reliable. And specialized will replace with a new one if it isn't.

mtbr member
    My original shock blew early on as well...not a catastrophic failure, but it was leaking oil badly. My LBS got me a replacement overnight and the new one has several hundred miles and 7-8 trouble free months.
    2016 Stumpjumper Expert 6Fattie

2017 Enduro Ohlins coil

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have an 07' Stumoy Pro and blew the main dust seal
    in the first 100 miles. My LBS got a replacement overnite
    and I have been trouble free since. Get the 07' Pro if you
    can find one. Specialized still had some a few months back
    as frame only. The Pro is Ano red or black, I think the
    other models are painted, I could be wrong though.

mtbr member
    If you like the '07 better than the '08, then just get it. My friend has an new '07 Pro that he just bought on closeout and the brain was broken on it right out of the box. He had the LBS call Spec and they replaced it right away. LBS called him yesterday to let him know that the new shock was in and they had sent him the '08 shock. So if your shock ever breaks, you might end up with the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So the 08 shock is the same eye-to-eye and stroke length as the 07 shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solara
    So the 08 shock is the same eye-to-eye and stroke length as the 07 shock?
    Guess so. He called me today to tell me the LBS has the new shock on the bike and it's ready to go. I would be surprised if Spec. sent a shock that wouldn't fit the bike unless there was some miscommunication between them and the LBS

Members who have read this thread: 0