Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

07 Stumpy FSR elite noises

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cooleymtnbiker1 
#1 · (Edited)
I have about 200 miles on my stumpy now and man that bike has turned into a noisy bieach. The crank is creaking. I have taken out the crank and bearings. cleaned and relubed everything in there and the noise is still there. Am I missing something? What else can it be?
Also when peddling (Not using the brakes) THe rear brakes squeek..I know it is them because I can slighty pull the lever in and it gets worse. I have adjusted the brake pads all the way in and they are still noisy. I am on my second set of brake pads. The noise went away for 1 ride but now it is back. What am i missing on that?
I would bring it back to the store I bought it from but I didnt buy it anywhere close to me.
Thanks

#2 ·
Mine is still behaving nicely, I've been running it for three months straight with only a little brake noise to complain about (that and it doesn't fit on my car rack properly). Have you tried using Organic compound brake pads, they seem to solve a lot of issues for people? Maybe a little Loctite 242 (removable blue kind) on the BB threads will help it shut-up, I needed to put a little on my road rig to silence the BB.

#3 ·
Creaks n things

Hi Vinnyl26,

I had the same creaking on my 07 SJ Comp. I thought it was the cranks and removed them, cleaned, lubed and torqued to specs, twice. It turnrd out to be the suspension link. Get a torque wrench and a buddy to help you, refer to your owners manual, remember inch pounds not foot pounds and get some locktight (blue- never red). Only use the locktight on the middle bolts, don't use it on the shock pin or the pivot bolts. I would bet that the creak is coming from the middle bolts which tighten to a much higher spec than the others. Start with them. Check the spec. If they are not as thight as they should be, remove, add locktight, tighten to specs. Do both sides- it's not a through bolt, but rather two bolts that screw into the magnesium link. If that is the problem, just make sure the others are tightened to spec and leave them alone. Never overtighten any of these bolts, as it will likely lead to failure, probably at a bad time too. Hope that helps.

#5 ·
In the envelope with all the warrenty stuff and the owner's manual there was an additional manual with a drawing of an SJ frameset on it. I think the manual says S-Works across the top of the cover. Toward the back of this publication there are tourqu specs. I think you can also get them on Spesialized's website, or by contacting them and asking. Just remember inch-pounds and don't over tighten. Also clean and grease the seat post. Best of luck.

#6 ·
The creaking usually resides in the piece below where the shock mounts on to the link. I would spray some GT85 on there first. That usually solves the problem for me when my Elite starts to creak. As for the breaks, I got a lot of noise at speed, like over 16 mph. Turned out the tires I was running was causing the rotors to move a little because of the crappy wheels flexing the bike comes with. If you still have stock tires, I would recenter the caliper and make sure that when you are on the bike the rotor is still center by looking down when on the bike. Good Luck

#7 ·
Ok I fixed all my noises. Bobm was dead on. The creaking noise was comming from the rear suspension link. I removed the bolts cleaned and torques with blue locktite. It fixed it!
The brake noise was the rear rotor wasnt centered in the caliper. I was slightly rubbing on the outer pad. Not enough to notice when spinning the wheel but enough to make noise

#8 ·
I just read this this morning and I'm glad you found the noise. I think these bikes are getting a little to complex for kids in shops to casually wrench on. I'm not super mechanical, but am doing much of my own work now, or watching as it is done in the shop to make sure things are not done incorrectly. It's good to have this forum to learn about problems and solutions. Thanks to all who have posted on this thread for the brake info and for all the other info.:thumbsup:

#9 ·
im getting a very strange rubbing/creaking noise sometimes when turning at speed... it only happens sometimes and it never happens while going straight... i also get a weird clicking noise when the front end is rebounding, it sounds like its coming from the shifter, almost like a mini shift... its not the shock, the sound is coming from somewhere near the handlebars the thing is, i cant recreate either of the noises by working the suspension alone... what gives?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.