mtbr member

'07 Stumpy Frame Pivot Question . . .

Hi all!

I'm doing maintenance on my 2007 Stumpjumper right now. Decided to replace the frame pivot bearings this year, so I picked up an enduro bearing kit. Looks like it really needed it because ALL of the frame pivot bearings were absolutely shot, some of which felt like they were nearly seized!

When I got to the horst link bearings (as in - the pivot closest to the dropout), I encountered the following problem: The horst link has 2 bearings per pivot and a piece of visible metal between them. Does anyone know if that metal between the bearings is a spacer that will slide out as I press out the old bearings or a part of the frame? I tapped on one of the bearings a bit to see if it would move (no dice, btw), but didn't put any serious pressure on out of a fear that I'd damage the frame. Ultimately, getting an answer to this question prior to exerting any serious force on those bearing seemed prudent . . .

Second question, if the metal IS a part of the frame, how the heck do you get the old bearings out? If I have to pull the bearings out vs. press them out, there's nothing to grab on to. Suppose I could pull off the seal, clean & regrease (I have some of that spiffy bearing-specific web grease) & that would improve the performance somewhat, but I'd much rather just put in fresh bearings.

Any (relevant) advice appreciated!

Thanks,
    B-Mac

mtbr member
    Uuuh, Help?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    On most of the frames I have seen from specialized you can't push these though the other side. They require a blind bearing puller to extract the horst pivot bearings. Guessing that is the case with the stumpy also.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply, and you're correct.

The visible metal was a spacer, but there is a metal lip built into the pivot between the 2 bearings. Took the affected parts to a buddy's house for surgery & we wound up using a punch to remove the old bearings without too much diffuculty. One of the bearings fell to bits during extraction, but we were able to get the remaining piece out without too much difficulty due to the fact that we'd moved it far enough away from the lip pre-break that the punch could reach it.

Thanks! Hoping that the rear triangle won't creak this season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    B-Mac,, congradulations for taking on the bearing job! Which 2007 stumpy do you have? Where did you get the bearing kit? I have a stumpy fsr elite 2007 and had the LBS replace the horst bearings for just over $100. I got a deal for that job, now I think it would be more $$. Now getting creaking from I think the rear most bearing, I can make them pop with the shock off the bike, anyway I like your post about the job. Not sure if I would attempt the job with that metal piece in the middle. I like doing my own work regardless of warranty concerns. If you did it again would you get the bearing puller? The cheapest bearing set(12 bearings) I found was on ebay from a guy in the UK then the next cheapest was $57 from a bearing company in the US. Thanks