mtbr member
    Aug 2006

07 Stumpy Elite brake problem? help!

Hi All-

So after months of drooling over this year's stumpjumpers i finally went out and got the FSR elite. Its been a sweet bike so far. Unfortunately for me, I'm not very knowledgeable about the hydraulic brakes that came on it (avid juicy 7) and didnt know that im not supposed to press on the brake levers if there's no wheel on the bike...

Anyhow, i did that with the front brake the other night, and now its nearly impossible to get my wheel back on because the rotor doesnt want to fit between the pads. i did manage to get the wheel on once, but it didnt rotate much (because the pads were pressing upon the rotor.) is there any quick way to fix this? im going riding in the AM and i want to get this thing fixed!

mtbr member
    You need to remove the pads..carefully (consult manuel). Then use an open box wrench and push the pistions back into the bores. Be careful not to bend the clip.

...idios...
    The principle is correct, but you should use something that is less likely to damage the pistons or caliper. A plastic tyre lever is ideal for pressing pistons back into place, especially as they have a curved front surface.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A large flat bladed screwdriver with a wide rubber band stretched over it works for me when buttheads touch my Stumpy sans wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I downloaded the Avid manual and took off the brake pads and pushed the pistons back in as far as they are going to go. i then put the wheel on and tried to get the rotor so that it wasn't touching the brake pads, but that hasn't worked yet. I actually got a huge finger lac in the process and needed a stitch ( i work in an ER so i got that taken care of pretty quickly)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I went back to work on it today and kinda came to the conclusion that there might be some air in my lines because the pistons are not retracting when i have the wheel on and apply the brake. I think it's time to just take it to the shop and learn something...

mtbr member
    Oh my gosh, ya those rotors are extremely sharp. We should have mentioned that. You may need to bleed the line if there is air in them. Shouldn't take to long and make sure your LBS does it for free in that this is a brand new bike right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yes it's brand new, i haven't gotten a ride in yet. for now, it just sits in my garage and looks pretty. i can't confirm that there is air in the line, it's just my guess. The "pad in" knob on the front doesn't seem to adjust the brake pads at all, so i figure air must be causing the problem? I'll take it in tomorrow morning and report back

mtbr member
    The "pad in" knob adjusts where the contact point is on the lever. Doesn't actually adjust the pads. I would take it in anyway just to make sure everything is as it should be. Take care of that finger!

mtbr member
    I've just always used a flathead, never worried about the pads...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I went into the shop today and got the brakes adjusted. The tech said the lines had no air in them (like i had thought) but that the rotor was bent slightly, which would cause it to hit the brake pads on the one side regardless of how well I adjust it. How i got the rotor to bend within a week and having not ridden a single trail is beyond me, but we just about have the brakes fixed. Theres a small amount of rub every now and then. I was told to use my front brakes on the next ride and let the heat/friction straighten the rotor out and I should be good to go.