mtbr member
    Oct 2007

'07 Stumpy Creaking....

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I remember seeing some old threads regarding the creaking noise on the FSR frames, and of course mine started today on a ride.

The only problem is I feel like everyone elses was dealing with the bb but I swear mine is coming from where the headset meets the fork.

Ideas?? Thanks in advance.........

(haven't been on for a bit, so if this was discussed a day ago, my apologies)
    '13 Epic Comp 29
    '12 Sirrus Comp
    '11 Stumpjumper Comp 29
    '07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '04 Rockhopper

mtbr member
    I have the same thing and I am 99% sure it is coming from the cables. The way they are routed, they go around the head tube then underneath. When the bike is not on perfectly smooth trail or is being rocked, the cables are moving and hitting the head tube, causing a "creaking" sound.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    J... Thanks for the info. I will check all of the cables today, but I am still confused as to why it would only start making the creaking after a year of hard usage.

Is there any way to prevent the noise??
    '13 Epic Comp 29
    '12 Sirrus Comp
    '11 Stumpjumper Comp 29
    '07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '04 Rockhopper

mtbr member
    None that I have found. i guess you could try to have the cables tighter to the head tube so they can't move around as much. I am just leaving mine for now, it doesn't bother me that much. Let me know if you do find a solution though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've had the same problem. It was coming from the headset; I could hear it anytime i would stand to pedal up a hill, brake hard, accelerate hard, or crest a sharp hill... basically all the time. It ended up being the cups in the headset for me. I took it into the shop several times and they were never able to pin point what it was exactly until they took apart the headset. Once they got it apart they discovered that the cups had come out and they couldn't get them back in. I never saw the damage, but they had the Specialized warranty guy come look at it which led to a frame replacement. That was okay because I got a much cooler color than I started with.

This was all right before winter so I only got a few rides in before I had to hang it up for about 2 months. Once I put a several hundred miles back on it the same problem came back. I'm wondering if I'll be on my 3rd frame from the same problem. I've provided theories to the shop like a defective steer tube, or a head tube that is just slightly too large for the cups that are in there, etc. I'm hoping that the fix this time is permanent. I love the shop, but I hate having to keep bugging them about the same problem, just as I'm sure they're getting sick of dealing with it as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Bingo! Your description matches when the sound occurs exactly. I stopped on a bridge the other day and was holding myself up with my left hand while pinning the brake. I would just rock back and forth and the sound was prevalent.

If the problem is as you described and I do nothing, what will happen? What are "cups"? I really would rather ride a lot this season than deal with warranties and frame replacement especially after spending what I did for this bike.

Thanks for any technical feedback....
    '13 Epic Comp 29
    '12 Sirrus Comp
    '11 Stumpjumper Comp 29
    '07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '04 Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I agree, it's very frustrating. This will give you a nice breakdown of a headset: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/headset2.htm. The cups are pressed into the head tube, and the whole assembly basically holds the steer tube firmly in place. Since the steer tube is smaller than the head tube, when the cups come loose the steer tube will begin to "play" back and forth inside the head tube. If that happens repeatedly you can ovalize the head tube which would ruin the frame.

You might see the headset leaking its grease out the bottom cup where it meets the fork crown area. There is an adjusting bolt in the top of the stem, right in the middle on the cap where it says 8G. If you loosen the stem from the steer tube first, you can then tighten that bolt to see if you can get rid of the play, but it may or may not stop the creaking, and it probably won't fix the loose cups.

In all the replacement only took about a week. If or when you decide to take it into the shop, you might want to see if the problem is coming from something like the steer tube or anything else. I'm the furthest thing from a bike mechanic, so this is only what I've gathered from some research and from the bike shop. I've had 2 frames with the same problem. It just seems unusual for that to happen, so it makes me wonder what's causing it. When I hear from the shop about what the result is with mine I'll let you know. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Have you tried tightening up the headset a little? I had the same problem thought it was the BB and then possibly the cables but noticed if i pulled on the handle bars towards me i got the creaking. I nipped it up a little and noise went instantly, my friend had the same problem tightened his up just a little and solved the problem too.

Like O3EP says you might want to put it into the shop and get them to strip it and add a little grease. I've had my stumpy 07 for around a year and a half now and just replaced all the pivot bearings and bolts, added some grease to well needed areas. First ride today and it was back to running silent (first time in months!)

Your bike might just need a wee bit TLC to get it back to running silently

Good luck