mtbr member
    Apr 2007

07 stumpy comp upgrades?...

alright, im thinking of uping to a 203mm front rotor for more power ( it takes a lot to stop a 220lbs plus man) and am also thinking of getting some beefier components. I do plan on racing later this season, so I dont want to put too much weight on it, but i do want it to handle my weight. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What size frame do you have? I have the XL with the 203mm rotor. I am currently 240lbs. Everything on the bike seems very stable. the only thing that worries me is the chain braking. but the chain may be stronger than i think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i've got the nineteen inch frame. does the 203 mm rotor really make that big of a difference

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    My 07 Stumpy FSR Comp came with a 203mm front rotor, and I actually want to go 185 front and 160 back. I weigh 215. The 203 would be great for freeriding and such, but for XC/light AM it's too grabby, and I keep finding I lose too much momentum on turns.

The only other upgrade I am thinking about is dropping the Triad and getting a RP23. I haven't actually had any trouble with the shock, though (I actually kind of like it), so I should just wait until I blow it out. Wider handebars would be nice, too.

The Other Dude
    I ran a 203/160 combo on my 06 SW Stumpy and loved it, i am 170lbs and it was worth the little bit of extra weigh i thought, i had juicys and they worked great. A nice cassette (SRAM PG990) is a good upgrade, and maybe a carbon bar and a set of wheels would be worth looking into. The carbon bars feel sweet, and soak up alot of vibes that get into your hands from the alloy bars, i loved them on my stumpy and epic.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Since Specialized's in-house bars are too narrow, it might be worth going wider for better steering and comfort - carbon would be a good choice for a Stumpy. I'm contemplating on one....

To be honest, other than the grips, bars, stem, tyres and pedals, the 07 Comp is hard to beat - everything just feels right with high quality components.

You could have your Fox Shox RC fork ''PUSH'' to take it to RLC for more adjustability and travel (130mm)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    what do you mean "PUSH"

mtbr member
    I am 195 and run Hayes HFX-9's with 160 front and back. Stopping has never been a problem. Grip from slowing down at such high speed has