mtbr member
    Oct 2005

07 stumpy comp triangle failure

just thought i would mention to everyone to check your bolts on your fsr triangles, my buddy had a mishap today with his comp. he hit the usual line but the bolt seemed to work loose on the right side near the dropout, he offed a small drop and "SNAP" his triangle broke clean through. no injuries and no pics yet, the shop didnt have good enough lighting. but all i could think of was how ive noticed his bike take a thrashing and getting beat up a bunch. anyone else notice that the 05 and 06 model stumpys rule as far as durability. i just hope mine can make another race season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Tough enough

I have an '05 Stumpy Pro. I had the same issue with that bolt coming loose. I was much more fortunate. I was noticing deteriating shifting, ghost shifting with quick acceleration or power climbing. I actually put up with this over several rides and couldn't nail down a cause. Finally found it (friend found it) mid ride. I run a Sram RD and the cable routing both hid the loose bolt, and kept it from coming all the way out. A couple of quick turns and problem solved, I now routinely check all rear link points.