mtbr member
    Feb 2007

07 Stumpy Comp headset question.

Looks like it's (past) time to service my headset. The bearings appear to be worn and I've got some play in it. It's the 1 1/8" threadless with cups.

My question is, can I just replace the bearings or should I get a whole new headset? If new headset, what size do I need? I tried using the headset finder on the canecreek site but my measurements don't seem to be jiving with theirs.

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

mtbr member
    If you search a bit, there is a whole thread regarding Chris King not mating with Specialized Stumpy head tubes from that era. However, I have had good luck with that combination, I replaced the stock headset with a CK right away. But that old thread might be a good reference regarding past experience for other Stumpy owners.

You need 1 1/8" threadless headset. You need a headset press to put it in; it's easier to monkey ways to get it out but really you need a press to get it in. If you don't have access to something like that, you might want to just go through your LBS. Bad things can happen on a headset install if you aren't careful.
    My brain's living room is my stomach.