mtbr member
    Jun 2008

07 Stumpy Brain Problem

I noticed a couple rides ago that the rear shock on my 07 stumpy expert was exhibiting some strange symptoms. I had backed the Brain setting off just a bit to soften some things up, and when I pushed down on the saddle the shock would "catch" and break free about a third of the way through its travel. The catch made me think that a linkage was somehow binding before breaking free as I flexed the suspension. As I tuned the Brain dial to full firm it went away, and as I turned it to full soft it worsened. Also, if I push down very slowly on the saddle, it will stroke the shock without causing the effect.

I performed the air sleeve maintenance, but there is no change. Any ideas (other than replace with an RP23)?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sounds like the internal damping oil needs to be changed out, this is done via a full service. A full service is recommended every 150hrs or at least annually. Work with your lbs to have it sent to an authorized full service center.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Speci- Suspension Tech
    Sounds like the internal damping oil needs to be changed out, this is done via a full service. A full service is recommended every 150hrs or at least annually. Work with your lbs to have it sent to an authorized full service center.
    Copy; it's at the LBS now.

Another question: are the "brains" interchangeable between the fox shock and the afr shock? They're just brass cylinders that uncover oil ports when they take a bump correct? If so, would there be an advantage (maybe faster actuation) to putting the brain that came with the afr shock on the fox shock? If they're not compatible, what's the difference? Thank.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The resevoir and the shock body are to be thought of as one unit, they are not independent of one another. Oil in a closed pressurized unit travels like a block, what happens at one end of the shock at the same time affects the other. The AFR and Fox shocks though similar in function have different internals, Ifp settings, oil volumes etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Roger.

Thanks for the explanation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So a full service cost me $189 and 4 weeks with the bike at the LBS waiting on the turn-around. Is this to be expected from Fox in the future? That is absolutely disgraceful in my opinion.

Can PUSH or Dirtlabs do the full service on a Brain?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Can you share with me your contact info and shop contact info, I'll let our service center know that turnaround is a little longer than we would generally like. They may be recieving more componts for servicing at this time of year as the cold sets in, or did your shop hold onto it awhile prior to sending it in? I've come across that a few times.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just wondering if any of that cost should have been covered under warranty. Required maintinence is one thing but it sounds like there was a failure of some sort.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jkegarch
    Just wondering if any of that cost should have been covered under warranty. Required maintinence is one thing but it sounds like there was a failure of some sort.
    I've owned the bike for a year and four months - no warranty coverage from Fox. I now have the shock back, and the symptoms have been cured. I would hope so - $189 for a MAINTENANCE item is absurd. That was even with Fox knocking $15 off since I had done the air sleeve maintenance.

The proprietary nature of Specialized's rear shock lenth/travel is frustrating - I could have picked up a new shock for nearly the same money I spent on "annual maintenance". You're also locked into one manufacturer - after this I'd like to give another manufacturer a chance, but I'm stuck with this one.

Seriously mulling over selling the frame and going with Titus or Ventana - I bet they have a standard rear shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    deleted
    Last edited by jkegarch; 12-04-2009 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    According to PUSH (on the phone), they're teaming with RockShox to put out an option for all of us with proprietary rear shocks. Apparently the goal is for them to sell tuned Monarchs directly - the rep I talked to said a tuned Monarch for less dough than a stock RP23.