mtbr member
    Jul 2006

07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Weight Questions

How much of weight difference can I excpect from the following upgrades:

Mavic crossmax slr wheel set
    xt cassette
    xtr crankset
    crankbrothers sl eggbeaters

The bike weighs in at 28 lbs with all factory items on board. I know how much the upgrades weigh, however I have not been able to find the weights of the factory items.

Thank you

mtbr member
    May 2004
    those are significant improvements compared to what comes on stock...i would say at least a pound.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Notahammer
    those are significant improvements compared to what comes on stock...i would say at least a pound.
    Gosh!. I nearly fell off my chair. Only a pound? Seriously, is he going to be any faster?

No offense here, but I think the truth should be told. The money could have been spent more wisely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    At the time I purchased the bicycle it was the most bike I could afford. Now things are better and sense I like the bike, why not upgrade.

There are always wiser ways to spend money. But who really cares how the next man decides to spend his.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zredbullz
    Gosh!. I nearly fell off my chair. Only a pound? Seriously, is he going to be any faster?

No offense here, but I think the truth should be told. The money could have been spent more wisely.
    Feel free to offer some suggestions......
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EriP
    There are always wiser ways to spend money. But who really cares how the next man decides to spend his.
    Word. I think he was asking for specs, not financial advice.

I bought my FSR Elite, and put those eggbeaters and 2006 Crossmax SLs from a pricepoint closeout. We weighed it at 28.5lbs, but that includes the 2.3 2Bliss Resolution tires with Stan's in 'em. Are you going to tubeless? I would say that running these is still lighter than a tire of this size with tubes, but I will try a normal tire next time when I get a bit more research done.

Also, the wheelset is fantastic and so easy to spin up even with the somewhat heavier tires in my case. But I rode a set of Panaracer 2.4 FRs for a while, so everything is lighter right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Put the money towards:

- Flights to different parts of continents to enjoy the world's most breathtaking terrains. There are plenty of tracks around the USA if you don't want to go abroad. That's what MTB'ing is after all, right? Wouldn't that be far more enjoyable that worry about shaving a pound?

I'm all for improving your bike, but in my opinion, you are limited to what you can do with a MTB bike. I own an 07 Stumpy Comp and all I've changed are stem, pedals and grips - these were mandatory changes. I wouldn't change any other parts for all the tea in China.... You could always go to China

I'm not trying to be belligerent here at all - however, that said, there are many other far more useful options you can do than changing your wheels to Mavic instead of DT Swiss etc....

Lusus Naturae
    I have the 07 Stumpy FSR Comp as well, and honestly it really requires no changes. Stem, Pedals and grips are just fine for me. So this is really all relative to who you are.

Remember that while the main factor on some components is their lower weight, there are other benefits such as quality and bragging rights, to think about.

Poor folks can't brag, and nor should folks who sell their souls to Red Bull. I mean come on dude, No Fear is way better!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Can anyone tell me the weight of a stock Stumpy FSR Comp?

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    From what I've heard, it's between 28 + 28.2 or so depending on frame size.

mtbr member
    There's a spread sheet floating around somwhere in the Spec. forum which details comparitive weights of stock components on the SJ with various upgrades. Can't remember who posted it...

Surprisingly, beyond basic upgrades like cassette and hubs, a few grams saved seems to cost a whole lot of dollars.

Upgrading on a 'wear and tear' basis seems to be doing the trick for me. Makes the expense seem more necessary when I've worn out the original part.
    ride your bike, ride, ride, ride...

mtbr member

here is the file, not sure who posted it

2010 Gary Fisher Superfly
    2010 Kona Jake the Snake
    2007 Specialized Stump Jumper FSR Expert
    2006 Klein Q-Pro