Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp or Elite & what size?

My LBS quote me the followings: -

Stumpjumper FSR Comp - $2099 ($101 less MSRP)
    Stumpjumper FSR Elite - $2599 ($201 less MSRP)

Is the $500 worth the upgrade from Comp to Elite?
    Here are the main different: -

Fork:
    Fox Float 120 RL, 120mm, rebound/compression adj, lock out, alloy steerer (COMP)
    Fox Talas RL, 100-140mm, rebound, compression adj, LO, alloy ST (ELITE)

Crankset
    Truvativ Stylo, 2pc crank/BB (COMP)
    Shimano M-760 XT Hollow Tech II, 2-piece crank/BB (ELITE)

Shift Levers
    SRAM X-7, aluminum trigger 9-speed (COMP)
    Shimano M570 LX 9spd (ELITE)

Brakes and Brakes levers
    Avid Juicy 5 (COMP)
    Avid Juicy 7 (ELITE)

Another question.
    Fit size. I'm about 5'4"~5'5" and weight 145#. My inseam is 30". Will i fit the "Small" size? I know some company have XS size, but not specialized. So, i just want to confirm if the Specialized Small size fit me.

Thank you in advance.

Calm Like a Bomb
    found this while looking for sizes for myself a while back

Stumpjumper FSR Sizing Chart
    S 5ft - 5ft5
    M 5ft5 - 5ft10
    L 5ft10 - 6ft3
    XL 6ft2 - 6ft6

i went with the medium frame...i'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam...of course the best way to find out is test them yourself.....i was told this as well...lol

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I love the Brain Fade that comes on the elite...can't beat it...climbing/downhill...it's the best thing i've ever riden. Plus the upgrades are KEY...TALAS best fork out there...XT crankset always dependable...brakes i could go either way with but the 7s do have some extra toys.

i would suggest a Medium. I actually was at my LBS looking at the Medium today looking at it for a friend. Without a layback seatpost it should fit you like a champ. IMO larger bike is better than one that is too small

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    the elite does not come with the brain

mtbr member

Do you mean expert?

Quote Originally Posted by Notahammer
    I love the Brain Fade that comes on the elite...can't beat it...climbing/downhill...it's the best thing i've ever riden.
    The stumpjumper comp and elite do not have the brain. The expert and pro do.

I my opinion the elite is worth the extra $ to justify the price increase over the comp. But I passed on the elite because of the Triad rear shock. Plus those prices are kinda high. Most Specialized dealers in my area have the comp for $1999, elite $2499, and expert for $2999. I went with the expert, mainly because of the brain technology. You really can't go wrong with any of the Stumpys. They are all great bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Glad to hear i can go 1 size higher to medium. I though the small frame is too big, as i used to ride size XS, (not from specilized).

Yes, the elite does not have the Fox Brain. I wish i stay where you are on the prices of those SJ for 2499 for the Elite is great, i wouldn't have 2nd thought, if i do, if would be between then elite or expert.

hmm......still cannot decide....... maybe i should toss coin?

mtbr member
    I demoed the Expert for a very full weekend of riding and loved it. I just couldn't spend that much on a bike in one shot though. I got the Comp and wondered if I would be disappointed. The Talus on the Expert seemed like the biggest difference to me. The Triad seems to have a bad rap. i love my Triad. I never use the lockout. The open position is plush, but I still climb with it at times. It seems to save energy on some really technical climbs. Spinning in most situations is good propedal time. It's usually in propedal. I'm not constantly fussing with it, i just use it in the setting that fits the terain. After almost three months, it's almost second nature. I honestly think I like the Float better than the Talus, after getting used to it. It's set and forget. I will have it rebuilt as an RLC and probably full out 140 mm. That will require some adjustment in climbing, but I think it will be fine after a little bit of trail time, while slackening things up a little for the burly descents. All this parts comparison stuff is splitting hairs to me. These are great bikes and we tend to personalize them as we own them. get the best parts group you can afford without waiting too long, and go from there.
    There's no sex in golf...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bobm
    I demoed the Expert for a very full weekend of riding and loved it. I just couldn't spend that much on a bike in one shot though. I got the Comp and wondered if I would be disappointed. The Talus on the Expert seemed like the biggest difference to me. The Triad seems to have a bad rap. i love my Triad. I never use the lockout. The open position is plush, but I still climb with it at times. It seems to save energy on some really technical climbs. Spinning in most situations is good propedal time. It's usually in propedal. I'm not constantly fussing with it, i just use it in the setting that fits the terain. After almost three months, it's almost second nature. I honestly think I like the Float better than the Talus, after getting used to it. It's set and forget. I will have it rebuilt as an RLC and probably full out 140 mm. That will require some adjustment in climbing, but I think it will be fine after a little bit of trail time, while slackening things up a little for the burly descents. All this parts comparison stuff is splitting hairs to me. These are great bikes and we tend to personalize them as we own them. get the best parts group you can afford without waiting too long, and go from there.
    what year comp?

mtbr member
    Sorry about that. The Comp is an 07, it's a large. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 168. I tried the medium and it just felt a little cramped to me. I also put 2bliss Resolutions and a tubless kit with Stans sealant on it. the bike weighs just a smidge below 30 pounds, which seems a little porky and is my only complaint. it's the Army green.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Does anyone know the weight on the Comp and Elite in Small or Medium size?

mtbr member

Stock rims?

Sorry about that. The Comp is an 07, it's a large. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 168. I tried the medium and it just felt a little cramped to me. I also put 2bliss Resolutions and a tubless kit with Stans sealant on it. the bike weighs just a smidge below 30 pounds, which seems a little porky and is my only complaint. it's the Army green.
    Did you convert to Stans using the stock rims that came with your Comp?

mtbr member

Stock Rims

Yes on the stock rims. My LBS has there own conversion and uses Stan's sealant. i've been riding them 3-4 times a week since the end of January, no flats. The Stan's dried out and I just added more about a wek ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I will have it rebuilt as an RLC and probably full out 140 mm.
    I was under the impression that the maximum travel for the OEM forks was 130mm. See below, an email from Fox:

"The Float 120RL is a custom OEM only fork which cannot be travel adjusted up to 140mm. It can however be adjusted up to 130mm of travel by removing a travel spacer. You can travel adjust your fork down using any combination of 10mm, 20mm, 25mm, or 30mm travel spacers..."

Gareth

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Another question.
    Fit size. I'm about 5'4"~5'5" and weight 145#. My inseam is 30". Will i fit the "Small" size? I know some company have XS size, but not specialized. So, i just want to confirm if the Specialized Small size fit me.

Thank you in advance.
    I am 5'6" with an inseam of 30, 165#. I've always loved specialized because im pretty short.

I picked up the Stumpy FSR Elite last week and haven't looked back. Ok.. I looked at the expert.

I'm still getting used to the bike, but so far so good. I have plenty of standover height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosts_cloak
    I was under the impression that the maximum travel for the OEM forks was 130mm. See below, an email from Fox:

"The Float 120RL is a custom OEM only fork which cannot be travel adjusted up to 140mm. It can however be adjusted up to 130mm of travel by removing a travel spacer. You can travel adjust your fork down using any combination of 10mm, 20mm, 25mm, or 30mm travel spacers..."

Gareth
    Thanks for the info. That's not bad news, as the additional 10 mm should not be much of an adjustment and will just give a little more cush and a little less head angle on the down hills.

mtbr member
    I ordered my FSR Elite on Monday night, and it came in yesterday to my LBS. I bought it to replace my stolen Jamis Dakar XLT and can't believe the difference. I had a medium in the Jamis and was never really happy with it, but the FSR in a large feels huge and I love it. I would definately go with the medium.

As for which trim level, the Elite was worth it to me even at MSRP because I love the XTR rear derailleur, the XT cranks (and their BB design when properly installed) and the fork. The fork is incredible. I also put on a set of Crossmax SL wheels that came in Wednesday (thankfully, any sooner and they might have been on the bike that was stolen) and the whole sheebang came to 28.5 lbs with 2.30 2Bliss Resolutions with Stan's fluid, and a set of Eggbeater SLs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks to all that reply.
    I've tested so many bikes and finally pick-up the SJ-Elite today. The only thing i've not try but wanted to is the Titus Moto-lite, but those are customize bike.

Well, been riding around the block with my wife earlier and it feel good.
    Hmmm.... i need to find a regular flat pedal, as i'm not used to the clip pedal (not yet).
    Any recommendation for light (but strong) flat pedals?

Student Driver,
    How much did you bought the Crossmax SL wheels (and where)? Are they lighter compare to the stock wheel that come with it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yeah, I would imagine that they are a lot lighter. But, if you can weigh your bike with the stock parts, just compare it to the 28.5 lbs for mine. I got them for $599, normally $900, for last year's model at www.pricepoint.com.

Your killing my Strava
    I too am having the same delima....I am not sure of what to get. Either the elite or comp. Is the XTR rear and the crank assembly with the juicy 7 make a big difference?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rear derail does not make a noticeable difference but the difference is sram vs. shimano. The brakes, crank, and fork are a HUGE upgrade for sure though. Read around on the boards you will read a lot about the stylo cranks making noise/coming lose etc. The juicy 7 is great with the adjustment, but more than that the fork with the TALAS makes such a big difference. Very nice to be able to adjust the height of the front end for climbing and/or descending. IMHO definitely worth it to get the elite.

mtbr member
    It's worth going for the elite with the extra goodies, but I have to disagree with the rear derailleur as I will only use the XTR if it's Shimano, but would consider the X9 or X0 from SRAM. I hate the XT as it's just too sloppy and flops around. However, I discovered a really annoying issue with the XTR. After three rides, the upper right of the "X" on the derailleur has been hitting the frame at the chainstay pivot. Not much damage, but a pretty lame design problem. I put some silicon on the derailleur and the part that was hit, and I will probably cut up a tube to wrap that part of the pivot to prevent further damage.

Your killing my Strava
    Ok i understand the goodies are better on the elite. But for me I am not sure. I currently have a rockhopper. I am not going to race. I take rides with the wife and kids. I want a FS bike that I can ride long distances with the guys. Kind of a do all bike. Just not sure it it is worth the extra $600 right now. I can always upgrade those items later..right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26
    Ok i understand the goodies are better on the elite. But for me I am not sure. I currently have a rockhopper. I am not going to race. I take rides with the wife and kids. I want a FS bike that I can ride long distances with the guys. Kind of a do all bike. Just not sure it it is worth the extra $600 right now. I can always upgrade those items later..right?
    If you have plan to upgrade in the future, why not get the bike that have the upgrade you need today? You might be spending more upgrading. Just a thought.

The main reason i go for the elite model is mainly because my old bike is using Shimano shifter (that i already get use to the dual finger and thumb shifter) and the Fox Talas RL 100mm-120mm-140mm (compare to Fox Float).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    It's worth going for the elite with the extra goodies, but I have to disagree with the rear derailleur as I will only use the XTR if it's Shimano, but would consider the X9 or X0 from SRAM. I hate the XT as it's just too sloppy and flops around. However, I discovered a really annoying issue with the XTR. After three rides, the upper right of the "X" on the derailleur has been hitting the frame at the chainstay pivot. Not much damage, but a pretty lame design problem. I put some silicon on the derailleur and the part that was hit, and I will probably cut up a tube to wrap that part of the pivot to prevent further damage.
    Yes, i seem to notice that too. I'm also planning to put something at the frame pivot, but can't find a suitable material to prevent further damage. Looking for permanent fix.
    Post some picture of your solution.

mtbr member
    @nizee - I will take a pic when I figure out if this worked so far, but I have to wait until tomorrow to give it a shot. :-)

@vinnyl26 - If that's all you're going for, then why not get something a lot cheaper, like a Jamis? My Dakar XLT would do everything you stated, but for a much friendlier price. However, I got my Stumpy because I really liked the frame design and it fit me. I went for the Elite trim level because of the cranks, rear derailleur, and fork (the uprated brakes were a bonus). The fork is fantastic, 'nuff said. Buying something up front knowing you will upgrade it in the next year is sickening. If you can swing it, and the parts are what you want anyway, then get it up front and save yourself some money and grief. The odds are great you are going to upgrade the wheelset anyway because the stock one is lame. The other stuff is pretty good or great. I saw a Stumpy FSR comp and it looks fine, but I still wanted the better parts and there was no way I was going to get that stuff for another couple of years without a fight with the old lady. :-) Better the added cost up front, than broken parts or whining about how I could have spent a little more to get the parts I wanted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast