mtbr member
    Aug 2006

New question here. 07 Sp.Stumpy FSR Elite vs. Expert w/ Brain Fade vs. Enduro SL

Like I said in my other post, I am looking for a second bike (I have a 06 Epic Comp) for more all mountain riding (i.e. Auburn, Downieville, Mammoth, Tahoe) and for the occasional Super D race. I have eliminated the Commencal (I may regret not getting this sweet bike) and Giant from my list, due to lack of dealers (or good dealers with a supply of parts and accessories) where I live. With 5 Specialized dealers within 20 minutes drive, I can quickly test ride/get parts from these guys (besides Specialized make pretty decent bikes IMHO).

I have narrowed it down to 3 Specialized bikes: 07 Stumpy FSR Elite ($2499), 07 Stumpy FSR Expert w/ Brain Fade ($2999), or the 07 Enduro SL ($2499).

My questions are: Is the Brain Fade as important or necessary on the Stumpy as my Epic? Is it worth upgrading to the Expert from the Elite just for the Brain Fade? Or should I go with the new Enduro SL, which is a beefier version (with 6" of travel and dual crown forks) of the Stumpy, for Super D type racing and riding?

The Enduro SL is supposed to be about the same weight as the Stumpy FSR (28-29 lbs.).

eBiker
    If you are refering to mostly Sierra riding, you may want something where you can turn off the platform. The rocks are big and the bike needs to compress over during climbing and decent.

Some have talked about being able to clean tech climbs better with less platform.

If you live up in the Tahoe area, find out where you can rent/test ride on your terrain.

A buddy was onto a Heckler like flies on poop, but he rented one for a day, rode Missing Link and found it was not for him. Best $40 he spent on his new bike.

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sierraholic
    Like I said in my other post, I am looking for a second bike (I have a 06 Epic Comp) for more all mountain riding (i.e. Auburn, Downieville, Mammoth, Tahoe) and for the occasional Super D race. I have eliminated the Commencal (I may regret not getting this sweet bike) and Giant from my list, due to lack of dealers (or good dealers with a supply of parts and accessories) where I live. With 5 Specialized dealers within 20 minutes drive, I can quickly test ride/get parts from these guys (besides Specialized make pretty decent bikes IMHO).

I have narrowed it down to 3 Specialized bikes: 07 Stumpy FSR Elite ($2499), 07 Stumpy FSR Expert w/ Brain Fade ($2999), or the 07 Enduro SL ($2499).

My questions are: Is the Brain Fade as important or necessary on the Stumpy as my Epic? Is it worth upgrading to the Expert from the Elite just for the Brain Fade? Or should I go with the new Enduro SL, which is a beefier version (with 6" of travel and dual crown forks) of the Stumpy, for Super D type racing and riding?

The Enduro SL is supposed to be about the same weight as the Stumpy FSR (28-29 lbs.).

I am in the same boat, seriously thinking about getting an SL, I had pretty much decided on a SJ Comp, but the SL is looking more and more attractive, if only I could get an ETA on them.
    Wondering if getting the SJ and just using it for a few months till the SL arrives would be worth doing, as my current bike is barely ridable and I want to get back out riding as soon as possible.

Just wish I could get that ETA as I don't wanna end up waiting 6months + for a bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I would say go with the enduro... the stumpjumper is too similar to your epic.... so why have both you know?