mtbr member
    Feb 2007

07 SJ Pro Shock question

When would I need to run the front fork at 100mm, 120mm. and 140mm, under what conditions for each?

The new AFR shock, if the brain is set close to the firm position, coming down hill will that open up the shock completely?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The 120mm position is the best balance for the Stumpies geometry. 100mm is a little low and makes the bike a little front endo happy. There are reports that 140mm has excess flutter and makes the TALAS a little vague.
    The AFR shock on the Stumpy isn't lockout at its hardest position so it'll always respond to big hits. I think there's a blow off circuit to save lives if you hit enormous dropoffs.
    I've been running my AFR on 5 clicks out from hard on rebound and 8 clicks out from hardest on the trail tune knob.
    Thats my thoughts anyway!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aztec31
    When would I need to run the front fork at 100mm, 120mm. and 140mm, under what conditions for each?
    I borrowed a Stumpjumper last year for a few days that came with a TALUS fork that went from 90mm to 130mm in 3mm increments. I liked the 90mm setting when climbing the steep hill from my house up to where I can hop onto the trails. That hill is a long climb, and it was worth the few seconds it took to dial the travel down to 90mm. Lowering the front end like that helped me a LOT with the climb. Going downhill on 90mm was practically terrifying. Going downhill on 130mm was the most fun I'd ever had on a bike. On flat, level stretches a setting somewhere in the middle seemed to make sense, but after awhile I got tired of fiddling with the knob all the time and just left the bike set for 130mm -- except for long uphills; for those I dialed it down.

The new TALUS this year has a simple, three-position switch. In my opinion, going to that switch was a great move on Fox's part.