mtbr member
    Feb 2007

07 SJ Pro or 07 SJ Expert

Hello,

I need your help deciding. I'm thinking of getting either a 07 SJ Pro or 07 SJ Expert.

1) Is the new brain and shock on the Pro way better than the one on the Expert?
    2) I test drove both, why do the brakes on the Expert squeak (didn't like that).
    3) Will the brakes on the Pro fade since they use mineral oil?
    4) Shifting seemed more precised on the Pro.

I'm new to MTB riding, but once I test drove the stumpjumper on parking lot and off the curb, I didn't want to get off it. Funny I went to look at the Rockhopper.

Should I just get the Expert and save the extra cash? Or is the new shock, Mag brakes, worth the extra cash?

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    bump

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The Pro is nice if you have the extra money. To me I did not think it was worth the extra money sure the Magura brakes are nice but not that nice for the bigger price jump. I love my Fox brain shock and there will be people who like the Specialized shock. To me I like having both front and rear Fox shocks. What ever you choose you will not be disapointed they both ride awsome.Once you ride with a Brain shock you will never go back to a regular rear shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just rode my new 07 SJ expert for the first time last night. I did briefly look at the pro but like was said previously I did not think it was worth the jump in price and with specialized's new suspension components I just didn't want to be a guinney pig and have to worry. I guess you can I am a little skeptical about their suspension products. I will tell ya that you can't go wrong with the expert, it did everything I asked of it. I climbed hills that I have not climbed in years (and this being the first time out was an even better feat). It climbed and descended much better then my old Rocky Mountain team element FS (actually the SJ put it to shame). I know there is a huge difference with the newer bikes but all I have to say is that I was amazed. Now to just get my suspension dialed in! I feel like I am tuning the suspension on my motorcycle now!

Good luck with your decision!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the info. I've had other people tell me the new shock on the pro is way better than the Fox one on the Expert. I guess the only way to really know is to try them back to back. I did try the Pro and it felt really good.

mtbr member
    I would have gone to the Pro if my budget allowed it. Not only are the brakes an upgrade, but what i really see is the RLC vs RL. You get compression tuning plus the lockout threshold! I wish I had the threshold, because I don't use my lockout because it's too hard. The pro you get the brakes, xo shifters, xt cassette, thomson post (no big dif), saddle with memory foam, better wheels, and of course the fork. I've been told the AFR is a more 'tuned if you will shock. It is smoother, yet I couldn't compare. Since I got my expert, I put on an XT cassette (pro), lighter wheels (pro), and rival sl saddle (pro). If your funds allow it, GO FOR THE PRO! I would have, but when my account says 0$, it says 0$. Hope it helps. Btw, I ride an expert, and LOVE IT! Hope to not confuse you...

just ride
    I would go pro, and then customize at will.....

MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks guys for your input. I'm leaning more towards the PRO, in fact I'm really liking the PRO Carbon. Would the PRO Carbon frame be just as strong? Could it handle my weight of 220lbs. on 2-3 foot drops?

just ride
    Carbon is stronger than alloy. Specialized is not one of the companies to make something out of carbon just to make it light. The carbon frames are superior in all areas, strength, stiffness, and weight. If you can swing the $$, do it.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I will try to negotiate a great deal on a new SJ Pro Carbon. Thanks.

Got Homebrew?
    Definitely look into the Pro Carbon...I have one and I absolutely love it. I'm 180 lbs and do 2-3 foot drops and it handled it easily (actually saving my ass once).

While I haven't done a direct comparison ride between a Fox Brain SJ and a Spesh Brain SJ I have heard many people say that the Spesh Brain is better tuned and less jerky.
    Mountain biking is not about how fast you go, it's about how many new friends you have at the bar after the ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any reason why you want to buy such a nice bike if your new to riding? If you know your gonna want the best out there get the SJ Pro Carbon. I started getting in to mountain biking a year ago and bought a FSR XC Pro and a couple weeks ago I bought a SJ Pro Carbon and love it. Buy what you really want and that will make you happy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks C70Keeb. I like the "feel" of the Pro Carbon. I know I'm new to riding but feel that if I buy a lower end bike in the end I'm not going to be happy and will end up buying a higher end sometime later. Will probably end up spending more in the long term, if I go with a cheaper bike.

I also see it as a investment on my health. If I can get to ride 1-3 times a week for a few hours I will reap the exercise benefit. If I have a good bike I will enjoy it more, which will lead me to riding it more. I've been riding a POS huffy bike on a national forest road on the weekends for about 4 weeks now (2-3 hour ride). It feels great to be out there in the forest (wilderness). I haven't attacked any major trail because I don't feel confident on that bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think it's better to buy a cheap hardtail to start with. You'll learn to pick lines and if you don't like mtb for some reason, it's only a little money down the hole. When you get the Pro later, you'll enjoy its advantages a lot more. If you wait a year or so, it will also be lighter and/or stronger and/or cheaper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cool man, get the carbon its a fun bike. When I bought my XC all my friends thought I was nuts for getting such a "nice" bike cuz they all were riding hard tails. Buying a nice bike gave me no excuses and got me out riding a lot.
    Now all of us have really nice full suspension bikes. I'm glad I didn't listen to my friends, if you have the money and thats what you want...do it. Make sure you ride that thing a lot get your money out of it. When you do get your bike you should give that huffy away to a kid or someone in need.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I did it. I bought a SJ Pro Carbon FSR Medium. I got a hell of a deal I couldn't pass up. The concept store ordered it today, hopefully I get it this weeekend so I can take it on a long ride.

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by aztec31
    I did it. I bought a SJ Pro Carbon FSR Medium. I got a hell of a deal I couldn't pass up. The concept store ordered it today, hopefully I get it this weeekend so I can take it on a long ride.
    I see your in San Jose. I am also in the Bay Area. I just ordered a SJ Elite from Mike's Bikes in Palo Alto.
    Where did you order your bike from?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Vinnyl26 I just sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26
    I see your in San Jose. I am also in the Bay Area. I just ordered a SJ Elite from Mike's Bikes in Palo Alto.
    Where did you order your bike from?
    Nice to see you ponied up for the Elite afterall.

Congrats on the carbon. If I could have afforded it, I would have considered it. Not sure if I would have done it since 240lbs does come down hard, but my FSR Elite is awesome anyway.

Your killing my Strava
    Hey AZTEC31 empty you PM box. It says full

Your killing my Strava
    Well her she is. Unbelivable bike!!!
    Last edited by vinnyl26; 09-30-2011 at 08:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Nicely done. Now do yourself a favor and get some of that clear bra material to protect the paint. I got mine at a tint shop for $5/ft, and it was around 18" wide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    which bra material?