mtbr member
    Mar 2007

'07 S-works FSR headtube?

Is the head tube on the '07 S-Works Stumpy FSR 120 chased and fased from the factory? I need to install my king headset, and want to make sure it's done right.

The Other Dude
    you may want to read up on some posts before installing a king headset on a specialized. Alot of people have had issues with them ovalizing the head tube. I am not sure of all the details, but hopefully someone will chyme in soon, i think there may be an oversized cup you can get or something to make it work properly.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    I've been looking into this subject myself and recently talked to a highly reputable LBS that mentioned Chris King requires any frame that has one of their headsets installed must be faced and reamed.

Kings are built tight tolerances, but do have thin lightweight shells compared to some headsets, possibly causing them to work themselves around a bit while riding.

I mentioned in another post about my own 2006 S-works Stumpy that I measured and found that it was slightly oval from the factory which is probably typical. When a set of headset shells are pressed in, they take on the same shape as that of the head tube.
    What I don't know is whether this is what eventually causes excessive play and an "ovalized" head tube that is no longer within tolerance.

I would definitely have your head tube reamed and faced to be sure, regardless of what make headset is installed.