mtbr member
    Apr 2007

07 FSR XC Comp Vs. 07 FSR XC PRO ??

so I haven't found too many reviews of both while searching this forum and others.

in the market for my first new bike in 10 years, and I've got it down to the FSR XC comp and XC Pro...
    my preferred LBS has the comp for 1600 (full retail, damn) while a lesser shop IMHO has the comp for 1400 and the pro for 1700. since the pro is only 100 more at the lesser shop than the price of the comp at my fav LBS, I have included that back into the equation.

so I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the SRAM rapid fires that the Pro has, but I could get used to them. The upgrade to the Fox 3 position rear shock vs the X two position is nice, as well as upgraded components.
    I'm having trouble deciding between the full air Rox fork on the Pro vs the spring Rox fork on the comp.
    I used to be an avid rider, and am looking to get back into it, and am just not willing to spend the 2k on the next in line Stumpy.
    I ride single track, road, mountain, and trails around southwest ct.
    any help or advice from those who have tested both. The thread on the recent FSR xc comp purchases helped, but want to know if the pro is worth the bucks, or to save cash and get the less costly bike. last but not least, I prefer the red of the comp vs the pro, how lame is that ....

thx

mtbr member
    Looking at the specs (I just got an '06 FSR XC Pro BTW), the differences are SRAM, FOX, and Reba Air Fork on the Pro vs. X-Fusion, Shimano XT/Deore, and Recon Coil Fork on the Comp. Everything else (Crankset, Wheelset, Brakes, etc.) looks to be the same. If you like the shifting of the Shimano group better, go with the Comp.

Personally, I feel SRAM shifts better under load and handles bumps & drops better. The Shimano seems to "bounce around" a bit more (IMHO). I also prefer an air shock over coil, particularly if you're a weight weenie.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. Neither bike will need any major upgrades. And if you like the color of the Comp (the Satin Tech Red is cool), go for it. Your LBS won't match the price of the other shop for you, or even split the diff?
    2015 Specialized FATBOY Easton Carbon Seatpost SRAM X7 Triggers
    2014 Specialized CRUX PRO SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post

mtbr member
    I'd go Pro for $100. I didn't like the SRAM shifters when I got my Epic, however after getting used to them, I love them. They're easy to use, reliable, and shift smooth like butter . Also, the air fork over the spring is a huge upgrade.
    :wq

mtbr member
    I third the pro. Sram is really, really nice once you get used to it, and the only thing id ride other than that is the 970 xtr (yeah, its that nice...). The reba is a really solid fork, and not one you might want to upgrade down the line. Plus, the propedal option vs locked out or fully open is nice too. Got the bucks? Drop it one the pro. And mention the price to your lbs that you trust. If they don't go lower, lame. don't push it though, or else you'll piss them off. If you've got the cash, spring for the pro at your local. Except is they're asking full retail, its only a 200$ jump to a stumpy...